Subject: Action Markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wing
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
Are Action Markers really necessary,wouldn't it be easier just to tap the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres

Miami
Florida
msg tools
wingman wrote:
Are Action Markers really necessary,wouldn't it be easier just to tap the cards?

One could argue the opposite, don't you think?

"Couldn't there be some sort of marker that you flip to indicate when cards have been played rather than having to rotate the cards themselves?"

Another advantage is that the text can still be read from your point of view whether the card has been played or not.

Also, keep in mind that in MW you can stack cards (say, a creature plus a card that gives it extra armor), so it's easier to keep the cards static and just flip a marker.

The markers also allow you to differentiate between full and quick actions. One could also imagine future expansions where new actions types are introduced along with their corresponding markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also without sleaves the action markers help keep track of whos are whos creatures and provide a quicker way to scan the board and see how many actions your opponent has left (if your trying to decide if you can pass or not for example)

also there is no real straight side to determined wether a card is tapped or not as you can legaly place creatures anywhere in the zone.

i hope im explaining that right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the action markers. I only played the demo (and watched pretty much every video available pre-GenCon), and don't own it, but from my experience, I really enjoyed them. They make it easy to know who's finished their action and who hasn't at a pretty quick glance. And with all the cards you can get in one square, tapping would be a pain. In the demo I played, my buddy had his mage and 2 creatures in 1 square, shared by 1 of my creatures. Four creatures, with cards underneath as mentioned above, would be difficult to tap without moving everything around. I actually am thinking of using the marker idea for other games, like Memoir 44 or Summoner Wars, as I think it's a really nice mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
wingman wrote:

In early stages of design, we talked about changing the orientation of the cards, rather than use action markers. However, for all the reasons mentioned above, action markers won out.

Also, there is no limit to the number of creatures or objects that can be in a zone. Therefore, you may have to re-orient cards as it is. It would become very difficult identify who owned / controlled each card.

Thanks for the discussion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.