Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading how this works and am a little concerned that there may need to be some clarity on this:

"-Warp Portal (8 Materials): Place Warp Portal tile on a hex you control. Connects to all other Warp Portals and is worth 1 Victory Point."

If it connects to ALL other Warp Portals, I think it becomes slightly unappealing. For example, lets say I build x3 of these portals in my own Empire so my fleet can easily transverse the broad expanse I control.

My enemy then decides to create one Warp Portal. Can they then move, via their Warp Portal, to my Warp-Portal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the risk of building them and getting the 1 VP per portal.

If you build/capture it, you need to pay more attention to what is going on on the other side of the universe instead of just your neighbors...

It's a dangerous tradeoff extra mobility for extra vunerability...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Reading how this works and am a little concerned that there may need to be some clarity on this:

"-Warp Portal (8 Materials): Place Warp Portal tile on a hex you control. Connects to all other Warp Portals and is worth 1 Victory Point."

If it connects to ALL other Warp Portals, I think it becomes slightly unappealing. For example, lets say I build x3 of these portals in my own Empire so my fleet can easily transverse the broad expanse I control.

My enemy then decides to create one Warp Portal. Can they then move, via their Warp Portal, to my Warp-Portal?

It's not that easy to place Warps. Developments are one time things (if only one Warp Development is available, then once it's purchased then it's gone).

Most Warps are not placed by Developments, but rather by less controllable means. hexes and Discoveries (I was trying to be vague because I'm still not sure how much playtesters can say, but both of the other ways have been mentioned below).

If something appears to be super broken on the surface with the expansion, then assume it's because you don't have the full picture yet. There was some good play testing, and several innocuous appearing things were axed after tricky players (not me) proved how to exploit them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're just not going to build Warp Portals to help your fleet move within your empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:

Warps can change the whole dynamic of the game. If you are afraid that players will enter through your warp, then don't build the warp. On the other hand, (and this is obvious) you may find it favorable to send forces to somebody else's warp.

If there is only one on the board, it may be unguarded. Building the warp can simply place pressure on other players to guard their warps, and split their forces from other lucrative opportunities.

You can even place it and immediately create diplomatic relations and/or ally with players who are in hexes with other warps.

There are a lot choices here, and you'll find the dynamic quite appealing in-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:

I thought developments were unique, and that you'd be able to build only one of these (the rest of the warp portals occurring naturally on specific hexes). In which case it would be more of a "gain access to other systems, potential ambassadors and alliances" thing than a tool to facilitate moving within your empire as you seem to think. Am I mistaken ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct (though I'm not 100% sure on developments being unique).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the quick reference sheet from gencon mentions "the Warp Portal Tile", so i assume theres only one of them. the contents also list only 8 development tiles, and we have 8 unique developments.

in summary, there are 3 warp portal hexes, 1 development portal, and one links to all the others.

PS. i dont know any of this for certain, this way just seems to make the most sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I remember finding a warp portal as a discovery as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
I feel like I remember finding a warp portal as a discovery as well.

I believe it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks as though warp portals are a partial solution to the problem in Eclipse where a race can't have any interaction with another race that exists across the board. Most importantly, to do something to a side across the map that is in the lead, while the neighbors of this leading race sit idle (possibly Kingmaking).

While not bad, I was hoping for a more controllable solution, like a tech that could be built by more than one race would have done the job. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interceptors will become interesting for reconnaissance missions... Makes it very interesting to move into an enemy territory into a hex left empty to build there. Such a move would require an immediate reaction by the opponent to prevent the whole. I assume the wholes will be most interesting for the wartech-superior player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.