Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I only have the core set, and we love the game. It has been a hit with everyone we have played it with. But unless we purposely pick a strong villain/environment combo... and only take 3 heroes, we pretty much never lose.

Maybe Rook City fixes this, but we play a lot of card games, and I am wondering if maybe it just isn't quite balanced for a group of players who all spend way too much time seeing card combos and interactions almost intuitively. I still plan on completing my set over time, as I said we all love the game and it is worth the time, effort and money to support it.

But does anyone else find they rarely, if ever, lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i3ullseye wrote:
So, I only have the core set, and we love the game. It has been a hit with everyone we have played it with. But unless we purposely pick a strong villain/environment combo... and only take 3 heroes, we pretty much never lose.

Maybe Rook City fixes this, but we play a lot of card games, and I am wondering if maybe it just isn't quite balanced for a group of players who all spend way too much time seeing card combos and interactions almost intuitively. I still plan on completing my set over time, as I said we all love the game and it is worth the time, effort and money to support it.

But does anyone else find they rarely, if ever, lose?

Sometimes it's nice to play a co-op that is easy to win. I have plenty that are incredibly hard. Plus it seems thematic that the heroes come out on top most of the time. whistle

But yeah, I agree that Sentinels (only have the base set too) is very easy and we rarely lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing advanced mode?
Rook City villains are much much harder.

A further trick you can do (for the Rook City villains and shortly for the second edition villains) is increase the H modifier for your game. Rather than set H = number of players, just bump it by 1 and see if that makes it more difficult (it should).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rook City villains are indeed considerably harder than the core set villains. Specifically, The Matriarch and The Organization are quite tough. I had similar qualms about the difficulty of the game, but Rook City put them to rest. YMMV, of course.

It also helps if you just don't ever play Wraith. Unless the villain or environment have truckloads of equipment destruction, she's so OP it's not even funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the sentinels website.
The second edition modifications are available to download, including clarifications, re-wordings and re-balancing the base set villains to varying player numbers.

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/downloads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Another thing to make sure of is that you are giving the villains their full turn. One of the issues my friends and I ran into was regarding the "end of turn" effects- especially with Citizen Dawn and Voss (and later the Chairman). We would treat minions that had been summoned via other cards (channel the eclipse, quark transloc, rise w/dawn, etc..) as coming into play but not getting a turn right away. Which gives the heroes a free turn to kill them before they acted.

If you find yourself nodding along, then make sure that everyone gets to act in the turn and order they were played. You'll find your difficulty jumps considerably (at least for Dawn and Voss). If you haven't made this mistake, no worries!

As for Blade and Omni... well, sometimes they get stomped. but play enough and you'll find that if things go their way, it can be a shockingly brutal fight. Especially Omnitron. If he destroys your stuff a the right times, it can be a huge setback!

A lot of Sentinels is situational, and depends on the heroes, environments, and the draws.

Basic stuff to increase difficulty:
Play heroes you don't know well.
Use the advanced rules!
The H mechanic can make fights much, much harder.
Make sure you read the errata and use the most current version of the rules (thinking of how nasty original wrest the mind could be...) (its still awesome)

But at the end, have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, advanced mode Citizen Dawn will surely make you sweat, no matter who your play. It's the hardest Sentinels you can find in the base game. Omnitron and Baron Blade are pushovers, while Voss is only moderate difficulty.
In any case, much of the difficulty comes from the specific combination of heroes/villain/enviroment you chose. If you hand pick your heroes carefully, you have great chances of beating any villain. Conversely, if you chose your heroes/enviroment randomly, sometimes you may even be challenged by the likes of omnitron or baron blade (well, it's unlikely,... but it CAN happen).
Rook city increases difficulty immensely, up to brutal... The Chairmain is insanely hard and the Matriarch also manages to top Cit. Dawn. Plague Rat and Spite are medium-hard, maybe somewhere in between Voss and Cit. Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a chart listing all currently available villains was posted as a Kickstarter update a while ago, it's page 10 of the second edition rule book:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Beaudet
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well I've played a tough cooperative D+D board game called Wrath of Ashadalon and it was so punishing that it found it less fun than Sentinels. I think it's hard to find a balance with cooperative games between too easy and too hard.
I do find that playing with three heroes is a good number for the number 1 villains and makes the games a little closer. Basic Voss gave me more of a challenge than basic Citizen Dawn. I have lost to him a few times with 4 heroes not using Visionary. The combination of the minions increasing villain card damage resistance, the large hp cards resistant to melee dmg, and the multiple deployment cards which will go off when destroyed gave me a challenge. Citizen Dawn on the other hand can only bring 1 back from the trash on her turn if she has Return from the Dawn, has lower hp than Voss even if she can restore it, and it wasn't hard to keep her from flipping so I don't see why she rated so much higher on http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can be highly variable, and your hero selection and/or environment can have a huge impact. I played vs Matriarch in a random 4-hero game (OmniX, Expat, Legacy, Argent Adept) with my son last week and we got annihilated. We had done no lasting damage against her by the time we were all out. A few days ago I played 4-hero solo with hand picked heroes (Scholar, Visionary, Tempest, Expat) against her in the same environment and it was a 180-degree experience.

Still, we tend to win in this game a lot more than we loose. But for the most part we win with most heroes in the single digit HPs. It makes for tense, satisfying game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.