Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Looking for confirmation an a few things while trying Mission 1:

1. Activity level is 'Engaged' when at least 2 cards have a VOF. It does not matter if these cards have friendly, enemy or no units on them? So 2 cards shooting at each other is enough for engaged?

2. Moving a unit from the ground floor to the upper story of a building needs a 'Move to cover' action and makes unit exposed?

3. When an enemy unit is spotted by friendly unit X, it is spotted by all friendly units even if unit X is not in communication with any other units?

4. A unit in a bunker can only shoot in 1 direction but can be shot at from all directions?

5. When placing a new enemy unit(s) with a PDF/VOF, it/they always shoots at the unit that triggered it/them? In the example of play, 3.7.1 B. Orchard e. the targets of the revealed enemies are determined randomly?

Thx,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions while trying Mission 1
glynnyth wrote:
Hi,

Looking for confirmation an a few things while trying Mission 1:

1. Activity level is 'Engaged' when at least 2 cards have a VOF. It does not matter if these cards have friendly, enemy or no units on them? So 2 cards shooting at each other is enough for engaged?

Correct.

glynnyth wrote:
2. Moving a unit from the ground floor to the upper story of a building needs a 'Move to cover' action and makes unit exposed?

Correct.Well, sort of. You can make a move order or a move to cover depending on what your preferences are....

glynnyth wrote:

3. When an enemy unit is spotted by friendly unit X, it is spotted by all friendly units even if unit X is not in communication with any other units?

Correct.

glynnyth wrote:
4. A unit in a bunker can only shoot in 1 direction but can be shot at from all directions?

Correct

glynnyth wrote:
5. When placing a new enemy unit(s) with a PDF/VOF, it/they always shoots at the unit that triggered it/them? In the example of play, 3.7.1 B. Orchard e. the targets of the revealed enemies are determined randomly?

Thx,

Tom

I cannot find the example that you mentioned (I only have here the Spanish translation and I am not sure they are for v.1 or v.2 of the rules). But remember that there is a target priority 9.4 in my rules. As a last resource I always go random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
glynnyth wrote:

Correct.Well, sort of. You can make a move order or a move to cover depending on what your preferences are....

Correct, yes. But somehow I would expect this to behave like movement between cards with trenches.
After all, if you move inside a building, the enemy won't see you.

glynnyth wrote:

See 9.2.4: When placed, enemy units will always target the unit that triggered their placement (Exception: in Vietnam missions ONLY, enemy
units CAN be generated on the card of US Units that did NOT
trigger them, thus causing them to open fire on that card rather than
the unit that triggered them. This represents the extensive use of
tunneling by the enemy in Vietnam).

So I thing the example of play has an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

glynnyth wrote:

Can you use a move order to move between cover markers/floor markers within the same card?
I thought you needed a move to cover order for that, with the disadvantage that you need to order each unit separate (no PLT move to cover)
Meaning that I need 4 orders (hq + 3 sqd) to have a PLT go up the stairs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:

Can you use a move order to move between cover markers/floor markers within the same card?
I thought you needed a move to cover order for that, with the disadvantage that you need to order each unit separate (no PLT move to cover)
Meaning that I need 4 orders (hq + 3 sqd) to have a PLT go up the stairs?

4.2.2.a is a move command only for moving to adjacent cards.

But you do have two options. You can use 4.2.2.f (Move to or from cover) or 4.2.2.g (Attempt to infiltrate to or from cover). Both will successfully move you. Infiltrate may allow you to do it covertly so you do not end up exposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
glynnyth wrote:

I cannot find the example that you mentioned (I only have here the Spanish translation and I am not sure they are for v.1 or v.2 of the rules).

The example is from the "Fields of Fire Example of Play" download from GMT (FOFExampleFinal.pdf), not to be confused with the "Fields of Fire 101: Example of Play (Advanced Tutorial) Part 1" download from GMT (FoFXoPFinalPt1.pdf). (was there ever a part 2?)

As Pablo pointed out, this part of the example doesn't match the 2nd Edition ruleset (which Pablo quoted from in his post), most likely having been created with the 1st edition ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more questions after turn 4 blush

6. Enemy activity check on a card with a Squad+Leader. I resolve squad first: concentrate fire attempt. Due to presence of the leader I draw 1 card extra. Do I have to do another separate activity check for the leader?

7. If a friendly pinned unit under enemy VOF retreats, what happens to the enemy PDF/VOF? Auto shift fire to other friendly in LOS if available, otherwise remove PDF? So enemy does not keep firing into empty card, which friendly units do?

8. A friendly unit on R1C4 makes contact with HMG Nest (Squad/HMG Team). All adjacent card are already under enemy VOF. So enemy units can only go on 2 new terrain cards R2C5 for Squad and R1C5 for HMG? No card draw necessary?

9. When a friendly unit moves, it auto shifts fire following priorities in 6.1?

10. Only 1 command of a named type to same unit per impulse. So same unit could theoretically be ordered to e.g. try to spot an enemy unit 5 times in a command phase: In impulses of CO HQ, CO XO, CO 1st SGT and its PLT HQ (during activation or initiative segment) and in general initiative impulse.

11. A move between 2 fortifications (same or adjacent card) does not result in unit/platoon becoming exposed. But a move between between 2 floors of a building does (as does move between regular cover markers)? Isn't it strange that a whole platoon can run from one bunker to another without becoming exposed, but one unit cannot take the stairs without becoming exposed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
6. Enemy activity check on a card with a Squad+Leader. I resolve squad first: concentrate fire attempt. Due to presence of the leader I draw 1 card extra. Do I have to do another separate activity check for the leader?

Nope, only when the leader is alone do you flip to the fire team side and then start doing activity checks.

Quote:
7. If a friendly pinned unit under enemy VOF retreats, what happens to the enemy PDF/VOF? Auto shift fire to other friendly in LOS if available, otherwise remove PDF? So enemy does not keep firing into empty card, which friendly units do?

(6.2.3) If the retreating unit retreats along the line of fire (same direction that the PDF is pointing), and LOS can be maintained into the new card, then the enemy VOF will follow the retreating unit to the new card.

If the VOF cannot follow the retreating unit, and other enemy units are still in range, it will then shift to the closet card and then the one with the largest number of steps if more than one. If there is a tie between two or more cards, determine one randomly.

Finally, if there are no units in LOS, it is assumed the unit will receive a cease fire and the PDF/VOF will be removed from the card.

Quote:
8. A friendly unit on R1C4 makes contact with HMG Nest (Squad/HMG Team). All adjacent card are already under enemy VOF. So enemy units can only go on 2 new terrain cards R2C5 for Squad and R1C5 for HMG? No card draw necessary?

(need to head into work, I'll touch on this one later)

Quote:
9. When a friendly unit moves, it auto shifts fire following priorities in 6.1?

That is correct, but actually when any unit moves. If an enemy unit falls back, it will then re-acquire targets based on that priority list.

Quote:
10. Only 1 command of a named type to same unit per impulse. So same unit could theoretically be ordered to e.g. try to spot an enemy unit 5 times in a command phase: In impulses of CO HQ, CO XO, CO 1st SGT and its PLT HQ (during activation or initiative segment) and in general initiative impulse.

If a unit is eligible to be ordered by all those HQs, then yes, each impulse the same-named action can be assigned. Make sure to review command hierarchy though as some HQs cannot issue commands to certain other units.

Quote:
11. A move between 2 fortifications (same or adjacent card) does not result in unit/platoon becoming exposed. But a move between between 2 floors of a building does (as does move between regular cover markers)? Isn't it strange that a whole platoon can run from one bunker to another without becoming exposed, but one unit cannot take the stairs without becoming exposed?

The jury is out on this one (the multi-story question), but bunkers were usually attached to one another (and pill boxes) by a series of trenches and underground tunnels. If moving between levels on a structure does turn out to expose a unit, then it might be due to structures having windows/openings in which to see movement. We can't always imagine the structure is in one solid piece anymore either, it may have been holed by artillery fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm happy to see that my common sense approach is mostly in line with the rules .

Your reasoning behind your answer to Q11 really helps. More background like that about the why of the rules should be included in the rules. Makes it a lot easier to remember them. Certainly for players without any military background.

A fascinating game and I'm sure I will be back with more questions as my mission progresses.

Thx,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions.

Glad I can help!

I just hope I'm not getting these wrong.

Quote:

Well, for simplicity, I would say it's not a big deal to play it that way, but according to the rules, here is what should happen using your above setup (friendly in R1C4), and assuming this is a Normandy mission:

1. Draw for contact, result : HMG Nest (Squad/HMG Team)

2. We now check for possible places the contacts can go according to all placement options, and you have two units that must go on separate cards.

3. Check Mission Unit Placement Options:

- Per Package Table Placement
- Front At Max LOS
- Left Front At Max LOS
- Right Front At Max LOS

4. Check Package Table Placement for HMG Nest : At Max LOS

According to 9.2.2, a result of At Max LOS means you must check the Mission Unit Placement table for a direction, so we're right back to step #3 in terms of possible options, being only Front, Left Front and Right Front.

So your two units that are part of the HMG Nest can only go Front At Max LOS, Left Front At Max LOS, and Right Front At Max LOS.

Since your unit that triggered the contact is on R1C4, that means a new terrain card can be generated at R2C5 (Right Front) and possibly further depending on the generated card's LOS borders. We now know where one unit can go. What about the other unit?

We now look at Front and Left Front up to Max LOS for the range printed on the enemy unit counter. Is there any terrain (normal or higher elevation) at Max LOS that could contain an enemy unit? Since you mentioned all the adjacent cards had an enemy VOF on them I'm assuming they were occupied by friendly units. If such was the case, then only a more distant higher elevation card would work.

If no higher elevations cards are in range at Front or Left Front At Max LOS, then you'll need to check for a different Potential Contact Package.

Why?

None of the possible results for this mission for that package could place an enemy unit on a card generated to the immediate right of R1C4 at R1C5 (or beyond depending on card borders). If there was a Right At Max LOS option you could, but that type of result isn't in any Normandy mission that I've seen. Another way it would have worked is if the package generated had a Package Table Placement result of On Adjacent Cards, like a Strong Point or Defensive Position.

I hope this made sense! And it's from my own reading of 2nd Edition Rules, not including any additions that may have been added/changed since those came out.

Which reminds me, for your Question #10 regarding multiple actions, there was some discussion over whether that was correct or not. I'm not sure if there was ever an official ruling that changed what was mentioned in the 2nd edition rules, however there aren't too many cases I've seen where it can be heavily abused. 5.1.3 also backs up the idea that it's correct by stating multiple moves across staging cards are possible during the Command Phase (since moving between staging cards doesn't mark a unit as exposed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
If no higher elevations cards are in range at Front or Left Front At Max LOS, then you'll need to check for a different Potential Contact Package.

Why?

None of the possible results for this mission for that package could place an enemy unit on a card generated to the immediate right of R1C4 at R1C5 (or beyond depending on card borders). If there was a Right At Max LOS option you could, but that type of result isn't in any Normandy mission that I've seen. Another way it would have worked is if the package generated had a Package Table Placement result of On Adjacent Cards, like a Strong Point or Defensive Position.

So in my case, I would draw until I get one of the packages with a 'On Adjacent Cards' location and put it on the only available adjacent card i.e. R1C5. Or draw a package located 'On Same Card'.

Still a few questions after turn 5:

12. An order to shift fire impacts all units on card even those not in communication with the originator?

13. A whole PLT + attachments (6 units) is pinned. The most efficient way to resolve this is to move all units to the Staging area or to a friendly occupied card without VOF. So the next turn all units automatically become unpinned?

14. In addition to 13, when do pinned units on a card without VOF or in the Staging area, lose their Pinned marker? In the mutual combat phase? This means I will have to wait until the next turn to order them to do another action?

15. A pinned HQ can still give any orders to (good order) subordinates but can itself only do pinned actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
So in my case, I would draw until I get one of the packages with a 'On Adjacent Cards' location and put it on the only available adjacent card i.e. R1C5. Or draw a package located 'On Same Card'.

Correct, or a single unit on R2C5. R2C5 could also possess multiple units if the package result was something like Mortar Position for example due to the '+' symbol in the package description.

Quote:
12. An order to shift fire impacts all units on card even those not in communication with the originator?

Correct.

Quote:
13. A whole PLT + attachments (6 units) is pinned. The most efficient way to resolve this is to move all units to the Staging area or to a friendly occupied card without VOF. So the next turn all units automatically become unpinned?

That is one way. You could also drop artillery on the card causing the VOF which would block LOS out of their card causing the VOF to vanish, and hopefully the enemy too!

Quote:
14. In addition to 13, when do pinned units on a card without VOF or in the Staging area, lose their Pinned marker? In the mutual combat phase? This means I will have to wait until the next turn to order them to do another action?

According to 6.9.1, at the beginning of the Combat Effects Segment (See 3.7.2 too).

Quote:
15. A pinned HQ can still give any orders to (good order) subordinates but can itself only do pinned actions?

I'll get to this one a bit later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

While not in answer to your question, something to be aware of:

(4.1.2) A pinned HQ will receive one fewer command each turn.

Now in answer to your question: kinda.

(4.3.1) Visual-Verbal : In order to be in Visual-Verbal communication, both units must be unpinned. There are other conditions too, but that's the one directly relating to pinned status.

(4.3.5/A) The SCR-536 doesn't work while the holder is pinned.

So in Normandy, General Initiative is king once you start taking fire. Even if you're using field phones, your platoons/teams won't have them (unless they get one from a fallen HQ unit) so even when you're under the same cover marker your plans can get fouled up when pinned.

On the converse though, getting the enemy pinned can sometimes be almost as good as wiping them out, because it ties up a unit on a card and prevents it from becoming a spawning source for new enemies. While that might sound gamey, it can reflect the enemy not wanting to send more units into a known FUBAR situation.

It's also why rushing in full ahead is bad unless the situation demands it. Sometimes sending in an assault team first can be a good idea to flush out enemy contacts first (and dig up some cover) without risking a whole platoon.

Glad you're enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:

Almost forgot. To speed things up, once you know exactly what the possible options are for that situation, it probably wouldn't be bad to just draw a random number based on the number of options leftover. So if there's only 4 packages that could pop up, draw a random based on 4 and just use that to decide which one gets used. That'll keep you from burning through the deck needlessly since it needs to be shuffled every 25 cards or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:

Another followup. This is a good reason, if you have commands to burn, to try and get those units unpinned early in the Command Phase using the 4.2.3/A Attempt to Remove a Pinned Marker action.

This action ignores the communication restrictions I mentioned in my previous post for visual-verbal communications. This was an errata for the 1st edition rules that didn't make it into 2nd Edition (yet).

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6991280#6991280

I'm not certain if the HQ must be unpinned though. Considering that a pinned HQ can still issue commands using phones and more advanced radios, I will probably play it that the leader can still issue rally commands even while pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Quote:

While not in answer to your question, something to be aware of:

(4.1.2) A pinned HQ will receive one fewer command each turn.

Now in answer to your question: kinda.

(4.3.1) Visual-Verbal : In order to be in Visual-Verbal communication, both units must be unpinned. There are other conditions too, but that's the one directly relating to pinned status.

(4.3.5/A) The SCR-536 doesn't work while the holder is pinned.

So in Normandy, General Initiative is king once you start taking fire. Even if you're using field phones, your platoons/teams won't have them (unless they get one from a fallen HQ unit) so even when you're under the same cover marker your plans can get fouled up when pinned.

On the converse though, getting the enemy pinned can sometimes be almost as good as wiping them out, because it ties up a unit on a card and prevents it from becoming a spawning source for new enemies. While that might sound gamey, it can reflect the enemy not wanting to send more units into a known FUBAR situation.

It's also why rushing in full ahead is bad unless the situation demands it. Sometimes sending in an assault team first can be a good idea to flush out enemy contacts first (and dig up some cover) without risking a whole platoon.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

So my pinnend PLT HQ cannot order any of it's squads, e.g. to rally or to retreat. Oops, that makes it difficult. Only general initiative to Order them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
glynnyth wrote:

Another followup. This is a good reason, if you have commands to burn, to try and get those units unpinned early in the Command Phase using the 4.2.3/A Attempt to Remove a Pinned Marker action.

This action ignores the communication restrictions I mentioned in my previous post for visual-verbal communications. This was an errata for the 1st edition rules that didn't make it into 2nd Edition (yet).

I'm not certain if the HQ must be unpinned though. Considering that a pinned HQ can still issue commands using phones and more advanced radios, I will probably play it that the leader can still issue rally commands even while pinned.

Made my previous post before reading this one.
So pinned HQ can order it's pinned squads on same card/cover.

Sorry I didn't find that post on bgg myself, but it so easy to just ask a living FoF encyclopedia
I did read the rules 3 times already though, but still a lot of things I missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
Made my previous post before reading this one.
So pinned HQ can order it's pinned squads on same card/cover.

Just want to clarify, a pinned HQ can order its pinned squads on the same card/cover to Remove a Pinned Marker and that's it, unless those squads also happen to have their own non-SCR536 radios/phones (which probably won't happen until the Vietnam missions unless you're using phones) then they can be issued other commands.

Quote:
I did read the rules 3 times already though, but still a lot of things I missed.

I've been going over the rules off and on since I got the game, when it first came out, and I only just played my first full game this year, so don't feel bad. And I still miss/forget stuff. Each game I play creates at least one new question.

There's a lot of material to dig through from over the years, but I pretty much use 2nd edition as the base and then use date stamps to determine if something I read modifies 2nd edition or not.

I'm just glad I stuck with it, as it's a game experience that's been very fun and keeps me thinking about it well after the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the FoF Boot Camp is an available resource as well. It pulls all the rules together in to one place for a number of topics.

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
glynnyth wrote:

Re-quoting the 1st ed. errata mentioned in the referenced post:

4.3.1 (Correction):
Add to the end of this section: “Exception: The recipient of an Attempt to Remove a Pinned Marker Action or an Exhort Action can be Pinned and still be considered in Visual-Verbal Communication.”
[emphasis added]

The recipient can be pinned; IMO, the HQ issuing the command must be unpinned to use visual-verbal comms. A pinned HQ might still be able to use advanced radios while pinned, but he won't be standing up or moving around to give visual-verbal commands.

In some ways, it's interesting that this errata was omitted from the 2nd ed. Dunno if that was intentional. Play it either way; but I don't think a pinned HQ relying on visual-verbal comms or an SCR-536 can issue commands to anyone but themselves.

Pinned units recover "naturally" when enemy fire MISSES. If they are no longer subject to VOF, that is a de facto MISS, so they recover at the end of that Combat Segment. During that Combat Segment, they still only project an All Pinned VOF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
The recipient can be pinned; IMO, the HQ issuing the command must be unpinned to use visual-verbal comms. A pinned HQ might still be able to use advanced radios while pinned, but he won't be standing up or moving around to give visual-verbal commands.

That's a good catch. It's been awhile since I read the old errata and should have read what I linked to more carefully.

I was a bit torn when going back and forth in my head how I would play it, trying to imagine what Ben had in mind with what a pinned status would reflect. I probably had too many Hollywood movies on the brain though.

Going forward now I *won't* play it the way I said above. Thanks for your insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, back with some more questions after turn 7.

16. Is the order in which PLT/Staff are activated/ordered meant to be important gamewise, or can I change it afterwards if that would better? E.g. PLT 1 orders Cease fire pyrotechnic, while PLT 2 orders squad to move into card under friendly VOF. Depending on order of activation the squad will be under friendly fire or not.

17. Are pyrotechnics expended or unlimited?

18. "when a US unit is on a card that contains both an Enemy Unit and a PC, if that PC triggers an enemy unit that places a VOF, that triggered Enemy unit WILL place its VOF on the card of the triggering unit (targeting the US unit that triggered it, per 9.2)."
So the enemy on the card with the US unit will be under the best VOF generated by the US unit or the generated enemy. And the US unit under the best VOF of both enemies.

19. Do casualties just have to be on the same card as the Casualty collection point to be evacuated, meaning can they be under cover on that card?

20. Friendly HQ event 7: move forward = move at least one unit forward into a card on the frontline, or just forward into any card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
Hi, back with some more questions after turn 7.

16. Is the order in which PLT/Staff are activated/ordered meant to be important gamewise, or can I change it afterwards if that would better? E.g. PLT 1 orders Cease fire pyrotechnic, while PLT 2 orders squad to move into card under friendly VOF. Depending on order of activation the squad will be under friendly fire or not.

Within an impulse (e.g. 3.3.1.C Activation Segment - Plt HQ and Company Staff Impulse), you can take actions in any order you choose. The order of HQ/Staff activation does not matter. And, per 3.3.1.C: "You do not need to finish spending commands from one PLT HQ or CO Staff unit before expending commands from another such unit." So mix 'em up as you wish. In your example, it's probably best to fire off the cease fire pyro after the move.

But each impulse must be completed independently and in strict SoP order. So if Plt 1 HQ was activated (segment 3.3.1.C), but Plt 2 HQ was acting on initiative (segment 3.3.2.B), Plt 2 HQ is forced to act after Plt 1 HQ, due to the SoP.

Quote:

Expended.

Quote:
18. "when a US unit is on a card that contains both an Enemy Unit and a PC, if that PC triggers an enemy unit that places a VOF, that triggered Enemy unit WILL place its VOF on the card of the triggering unit (targeting the US unit that triggered it, per 9.2)."
So the enemy on the card with the US unit will be under the best VOF generated by the US unit or the generated enemy. And the US unit under the best VOF of both enemies.

Yes.

Quote:
19. Do casualties just have to be on the same card as the Casualty collection point to be evacuated, meaning can they be under cover on that card?

Same card is sufficient, I think.

Quote:
20. Friendly HQ event 7: move forward = move at least one unit forward into a card on the frontline, or just forward into any card?

In the spirit of the event ("Battalion is screaming for action"), I would say advance forward of your front line (most likely onto a PC marker...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
glynnyth wrote:

Almost forgot. To speed things up, once you know exactly what the possible options are for that situation, it probably wouldn't be bad to just draw a random number based on the number of options leftover. So if there's only 4 packages that could pop up, draw a random based on 4 and just use that to decide which one gets used. That'll keep you from burning through the deck needlessly since it needs to be shuffled every 25 cards or so.

That's a really good suggestion. I do that a lot.

On pinned units:

I don't use the Attempt to Remove Pinned Marker action very much. If I do, it's on an HQ/Staff (and usually ordering himself). Otherwise, I usually let pinned units recover "naturally." While pinned, they get +1 defensive benefit, and their meager VOF still qualifies for crossfire.

Getting some Incoming! VOF on the enemy units is a great way to help the pinned units recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll take a stab at it.

You can spend your commands in any order within the same impulse, jumping back and forth between available HQs for that impulse until your commands have been spent or saved, before moving onto the next impulse. The order can make a difference, depending on what you're doing during the impulse.

Example:

You have Unit 1 on Card A with a VOF on Card B. You want to move Unit 2 onto Card B. There is an Enemy Unit on Card C and another on Card D that's in LOS with Card B, but not Card A.

If you fire off a Cease Fire pyrotechnics, Unit 1 on Card A will stop firing on Card B. You then move Unit 2 onto Card B, which then is in LOS of Card C & D and opens fire and places a VOF on either Card C or D, determined randomly.

However, if you first order Unit 2 onto Card B, they may attempt to infiltrate to avoid being exposed (sound kinda gamey at this point). Then after moving, they will randomly choose either Card C or D to fire upon. Then you fire off the Cease fire pyrotechnics. The VOF on Card B goes away, and then Unit 2 may stop firing as well if they see the pyrotechnics, but since there's still enemies in LOS, you'll need to determine which card they're firing on again.

Anything close to your question?

Quote:

Expended. You're going to wish you had more once you explore all the ways they can be used.

Quote:

As per my understanding, any VOF from off the card takes precedence over any and all VOF from units on the card. So even if the on card German's had an A VOF and the U.S. an H VOF, an external Small Arms VOF would be the best VOF on the card.

Check out my more wordy explanation in this thread where a similar question was asked:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/841674/bunker-busting-wwii-s...

Quote:

They just have to be on the same card.

Quote:

This is the thread I used to answer that same question.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/398338/friendly-higher-hq-ev...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.