Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Adventure Packs are not needed with this Saga Expansion, but can you hope to defeat the 3 scenarios without any player card from the previous Expansion Packs?(especially if you're playing solo)
In other words, is it possible to get started in LoTR-LCC and/or build themed decks with nothing else than the base game and the Hobbit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Salut Cyril,
From my opinion, it’s gonna be hard as there are lot of important heroes and cards from some expansion like the new Glorfindel and Light of Valinor combo just as an example. Also on the base game, the really useful cards come in one copy only like unexpected courage. Even you will have 3 copies on each card in the hobbit expansion I really doubt you will be able to build a strong deck.
Apart from that you can try and it doesn’t mean you will not have fun. I started with a base game, play each scenario with the basic mono sphere decks and had lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Gomez
Spain
Palma de mallorca
Baleares
flag msg tools
I cannot really talk about the hobbit, but I've managed to make 3 nice decks with just the core set, Khazad Dûm and a couple of mini-expansions from the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

The hobbit expansion seems to bring a good deal of good cards, so I think you could be fine with just it and the core, for starters, although you might be short on the number of dwarfs needed to take full advantage of the new heroes. But that could be solved with just Khazad Dum, which would allow you to builf yourself at lest one decent dwarf deck.

In any case, as the hobbit box contains, mostly, a bunch of little bearded fellas, you certainly could do without the whole Mirkwood cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I would say no. The first quest in The Hobbit is one of the most difficult I've played yet. I'd put it on a similar level of difficulty as the core set's "Escape from Dul Guldor".

Basically, you're going to need more card options to hope to beat it. Especially if you're playing solo, it's pretty brutal. I'd be amazed if someone could beat it with only the core set + saga expansion cards, solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WeeLittlePuppetMan wrote:
I cannot really talk about the hobbit, but I've managed to make 3 nice decks with just the core set, Khazad Dûm and a couple of mini-expansions from the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

The hobbit expansion seems to bring a good deal of good cards, so I think you could be fine with just it and the core, for starters, although you might be short on the number of dwarfs needed to take full advantage of the new heroes. But that could be solved with just Khazad Dum, which would allow you to builf yourself at lest one decent dwarf deck.

In any case, as the hobbit box contains, mostly, a bunch of little bearded fellas, you certainly could do without the whole Mirkwood cycle.

Maybe other can expand on this as well. I too have only the base game and was planning on picking up The Hobbit. Weelittlepuppetman suggests Khazad Dum. Are there other expansions people would suggest? Would only Khazad Dum be enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
bigeeh wrote:
WeeLittlePuppetMan wrote:

Maybe other can expand on this as well. I too have only the base game and was planning on picking up The Hobbit. Weelittlepuppetman suggests Khazad Dum. Are there other expansions people would suggest? Would only Khazad Dum be enough?

If only Core Set is not enough, then Khazad-Dum player cards will add nothing to improve it.

When people recommand Khazad-Dum as #1 Scenario to get, they are referring to its awsome quests and unlocking Dwarrowdelf Cycle for the future, not its player cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I just finished building a new dwarf deck for the first Hobbit adventure, (which I've played with another non-dwarf deck so I know what's coming). It contains cards from the core, Khazad-Dum and Dwarrowdelf. No Mirkwood cards or ANY non-dwarf allies. In fact, there are only two cards in the deck (Steward of Gondor & Galadhrim's Greeting) that are non-thematic. I *may* be able to get away with leaving those out, but not for my first play.

Just the core set would be difficult I think. So many good/important dwarf cards in Khazad-Dum & Dwarrowdelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Hobbit expansion includes two deck lists which can be made from a single Core Set and the contents of the saga box. So, FFG certainly suggests that you can build reasonably competitive decks for the included scenarios without cards from K-d or any Adventure Packs.

I haven't tested either build, but they both appear solid. There are several pretty strong player cards in the expansion, especially the new Dwarf heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Olli
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
The Hobbit expansion includes two deck lists which can be made from a single Core Set and the contents of the saga box.

I don't have the Hobbit yet, so can't comment on those. However I like the idea that FFG planned the box to be playable with just another core set. I think FFG should make sure new quests can be done without players having to have all previous sets. Otherwise they will be unable to attract new players (or players that made a break).

However I always found LotR to be a rather challenging/hard game. If you don't have at least most of the strong cards availabe and a decent deck list (which requires a lot of time/playtesting/research) you are at a disadvantage and risk frustration. So - from my experience with this game - you can try those core+hobbit decks mentioned, but better be prepared to get Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can legitimately jump in here straight from the core set.
FFG is using this expansion for its potential to get peoples attention toward the game. With the movie coming up I think that if the core set + Hobbit won't deliver a fun experience they will have waisted a great opportunity to steer more players into the game

regards,
airmanwhit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airmanwhit wrote:
I think you can legitimately jump in here straight from the core set.
FFG is using this expansion for its potential to get peoples attention toward the game. With the movie coming up I think that if the core set + Hobbit won't deliver a fun experience they will have waisted a great opportunity to steer more players into the game

regards,
airmanwhit
Well, here hopin!

(btw, LOVE your avatar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
The Hobbit expansion includes two deck lists which can be made from a single Core Set and the contents of the saga box. So, FFG certainly suggests that you can build reasonably competitive decks for the included scenarios without cards from K-d or any Adventure Packs.

I haven't tested either build, but they both appear solid. There are several pretty strong player cards in the expansion, especially the new Dwarf heroes.

I plan to play through with the Core Set and Hobbit cards only, probably using the thematic (selected by FFG to be "historically" accurate for the Hobbit period) decks as a starting point. I'll let you know if I think there are cards from the other expansions I am desperately in need of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:
...I'll let you know if I think there are cards from the other expansions I am desperately in need of.

thumbsup thumbsup That would be great. Thanks Nick!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have now played through the first scenario 3 times with the suggested decks from the back of the rule book, made up of Hobbit and Core cards.

I have lost twice and won once. They key in this scenario is that there is an additional goal you need to fulfill in order to get the Treasure cards for subsequent scenarios. To do so increases the difficulty of the scenario, I pretty sure I could have beaten it last time if I had chosen to ignore that goal. To beat the scenario and get the treasure seems fairly tough, I dont recall the official difficulty level for the scenario, but would still place it as easier than Dol Guldur and Osgiliath. However I think it is probably still just a relatively tough scenario rather than a problem with the player decks.

It is enjoyable with the Core set and I am fairly sure can be beaten, but I plan to look through my others cards in the next couple of days and consider some changes. I have Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, and have played quite a bit with a friend who owns all the sets. The obvious change would be to add more dwarves as several of the new heroes get benefits the more dwarves you have in play.

I'll update later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.