Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombie Deck Building? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone tried or considered a variant where the zombie player can build their deck? Is such a thing even desirable?

On the one hand, it might give the zombies a bit more of an advantage in groups where the zombies often lose, but on the other hand LNoE has always been a fairly "beer and pretzels" type game for me and I wouldn't want to overcomplicate it.

What would be a good size for a Zombie deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doomjester wrote:
Has anyone tried or considered a variant where the zombie player can build their deck? Is such a thing even desirable?

On the one hand, it might give the zombies a bit more of an advantage in groups where the zombies often lose, but on the other hand LNoE has always been a fairly "beer and pretzels" type game for me and I wouldn't want to overcomplicate it.

What would be a good size for a Zombie deck?

I don't think such a thing would really have much point, nor desirability. No offense, of course. Try it if you like. The deck, even with expansions, isn't THAT large....taking cards out of it would require you to take the equivalent cards out of the hero deck for balance, defeating the purpose of expanding the game and limiting the variety of the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ONLY and I mean ONLY issue I have with all the extra cards is that it has greatly reduced the tactic of decking out the heroes... other than that... I am fine...

I know their are a lot of complaints about too many cards and not being able to find, say, the keys for the truck....

I just think that is perfect- just like the Night of the Living Dead remake... there are no gaurantees...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
The ONLY and I mean ONLY issue I have with all the extra cards is that it has greatly reduced the tactic of decking out the heroes... other than that... I am fine...

I know their are a lot of complaints about too many cards and not being able to find, say, the keys for the truck....

I just think that is perfect- just like the Night of the Living Dead remake... there are no gaurantees...

I find that your first point is balanced out by there being many new cards that force hero discards.

The second point is dealt with by there being new cards that allow the heroes to search for specific items, as well as there being extra keys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Decking out has never come up in my games so far. If I were allowed to ditch cards, I think those would be the first to go.

I guess I was also thinking that with the new xpac that Zombie cards will be greatly increased, but it looks like TP may be more of a replacement than straight xpac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doomjester wrote:
Decking out has never come up in my games so far. If I were allowed to ditch cards, I think those would be the first to go.

I guess I was also thinking that with the new xpac that Zombie cards will be greatly increased, but it looks like TP may be more of a replacement than straight xpac.

Hero cards will be greatly increased as well. Looks to me like the Timber Peak deck will, in addition to being balanced on its own, increase the Zombies and Heroes equally when used as an expansion. That just makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I completely agree, I'm just not sure that I've got a place in my collection for both TP and the original game. I don't get LNOE to the table all that often (will definitely try to break it out for Halloween), so if TP provides a better experience overall, I don't see going back to play the earlier stuff.

Could be completely wrong, of course. I'll wait to see what the reviews say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To me, if I owned both (which I will) I couldn't imagine NOT combining the two. More variety is always good, even in a game that you don't play that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I'll play TP separately first. Just for that new game experience to see how it works on its own.

Back on topic, though.

As others said, editing the zombie deck could be problematic, as it could be way too easy to stack the deck one way or another. Certain zombie cards (My god, they've taken the...") are very powerful, others (discard the top ten cards of the hero deck) can be situational at best. Allowing the zombie to 'theme' his deck would allow far too much control. He could stack a whole bunch of discard cards, allowing the usually limited-use cards to really pound the hero deck. Or put in a whole bunch of movement cards to have ridiculous board control, or have a lot of the 'screw the hero' cards like Locked Door or The Line is Dead or Bickering, just to mess with the heroes. Certain card combinations are powerful but rare, but allowing the zombie player to increase his odds of getting, say, Let's Split Up and Locked Door could really screw things up. (Oh, now you have to leave that building or take a would. PSYCHE! Door's locked! Oh, you want to leave? Door's locked! That one too! Wounds everywhere!)

The thing is, with so many scenarios and situations, it'd be hard to make a system to balance deckbuilding for all of them. Discard cards are okay, but they're very powerful if you could make a deck that was 50 percent discard abilities. Movement-increasing cards are powerful in general, but gamebreaking in situations like "Defend the manorhouse" or "Hunker Down".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.