Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Di Pietro
Italy
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi, I bought Nuns on the Run because I loved the theme and before owning it, I already had Saboteur and Saboteur 2 by the same author.

Now, what I love about Saboteur is that I generally pick it up when I'm with non-gamer friends (or a mixed group) and it's the perfect party game. It supports a large number of players (the larger the best, indeed), the rules are easy to explain, it plays fast and you can add in the expansion when you want some diversity.

Reading about a light-themed, up to 8 players game by him, I ran to buy it, but, as hard as I try, I can't get to like it. It just doesn't seem to work as I'd like it to be. It is slow to play, the fact that moving around is a secret act keeps 8 people around a table silent, there is so little interaction. "Line of sight" is a concept that non-gamers don't grasp easily and it is not implemented in a straight forward way. At each step eveyone has to double check if they're seen or heard.

Basically I've had endless games made of "wait, can you pass me the reference?", "wait, what's the rule? does it hear me if...", "wait, so we have to roll both when they move and when we move?", "wait, where should I place the mark?", "wait, so can I now hide again or have I to keep going towards the cell?".

I bought the game, I want to like it and I'd love to be able to pick it up for an ultra-fun and super-light session, because when I propose it for the first time, everybody jumps in and wants to play it: "hide and seek in a convent? count me in!", but after a few turns it just starts to feel plain boring.

Is there anyone that came up with an alternative set of rules for a light party game with the material provided? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
You can always simplify the line of sight rules by removing them. The nuns can see anything with 6 dots of them, or anything within 6 dots in front of them if you want to keep facing.

I actually think the game would be better if they had made 6 small boards for each novice to hold and use to cover their orders page. You can find such helper maps in the files section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.