Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is FAB: Sicily so low rated (# 510) compared to its predecessor (and almost twin brother) FAB: The Bulge (# 84)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a less popular subject in general (Sicily vs Ardennes), it has only a few armoured units against the plethora that appear in 'Bulge' and it has one side mainly on the defensive all game whereas both sides get to attack/defend in 'Bulge'.

Also I forgot to rate it, so my 9 might help push it up a few notches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Inkiläinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, its average rating is higher (7.72 vs. 7.49). The thing is, it needs more ratings to gain better ranking, as it has only 49 ratings at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
Why is FAB: Sicily so low rated (# 510) compared to its predecessor (and almost twin brother) FAB: The Bulge (# 84)?

The Bayesian average lowers the average of a game if it has fewer voters. That way a game with only 30 voters can never reach the highest BGG rankings and the ranking system becomes more stable. It is also the reason why there is a separate wargame rank (because a lot of wargames never get enough votes to escape the dreaded black hole of rankings that is the Bayesian votes).

If you want to compare the actual average rank you will see that Sicily has 7.72 and the Bulge only 7.49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great games that have different things going for them. 'Bulge' is probably more fluid, lots of armour (as previously mentioned) thrusting in an attempt to break the American line and penetrate to the Meuse. A chance for both players to attack as the allied reinforcements arrive and the tide of numbers turns.

'Sicily' is more of a slog and the axis player will have a lot fewer opportunities to counter-attack (but should if it becomes possible to nab an allied large unit).

However 'Sicily'has a variable set-up for the allies who can choose from a number of invasion strategies including the historical one making the game potentially more replayable.
In 'Bulge' the game always starts with the German combat phase of turn 1 and he must attack in all contested areas, the allied player has no assets so its almost a solo exercise for the German to decide which artillery to commit to each battle.
'Sicily' also has some very interesting mechanisms for Italian untried units and the gradual collapse of the Italian morale level, airborne landings, Naval bombardments, commandos & Rangers, all good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and the comments. As I now know the rating is mainly based on the number of voters and has less to do with the "quality" of the game itself. Personally I prefer The Bulge but, as I've played Sicily a lot less and still have a lot to discover, I will learn to like Sicily better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
As I now know the rating is mainly based on the number of voters and has less to do with the "quality" of the game itself.

Well, not really. It only affects games with few votes. If you get say above 1000 votes the number of voters start to become pretty insignificant.

For the BGG database as a whole it is a good thing. If a wargamer wants a more accurate number he/she will have to look at the wargame rank (or family game or thematic or card or whatever subdomain he/she is into). The subdomains are pretty neat that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.