Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Groß
Germany
Unspecified
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mb
I just realized that I think I have been playing the (standard non optional) defensive fire phase incorrectly.

I played it that only units which actually moved may be fired upon. But now that I read the section in the rulebook again it seems the following phrasing is actually correct:

"Defending players squads may fire upon all enemy units that move through their LOS during the movement phase and may fire at all enemy units that are in their LOS at the end of the movement phase."

Does this mean the defending player cannot fire at enemy units that move out of the LOS in the movement phase?

So for example it is the Russian players movement phase. He has a single squad in the LOS of a single German unit. The Russian squad expends 1 MP to move behind a building out of LOS of the German unit. May the German unit fire at the russian unit in it's starting hex in this case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
Hi,

generally you can only return a unit to a hex for dfph in which it expanded MFs. (16.4) One exception to this rule is placing a DC, the placing unit may received dfph in it's start hex (Q&A 16.4 & 23.3).

The defender may fire on any units in its LOS or which passed through its LOS during the preceding mph. Moving units are 'moved back' per 16.1 and the dfph affects all the units in the hex.

Note 16.3 can be interpreted that a unit may only be moved forward (not backward) from a hex it receives dfph in. This obligates the defender to carry out dfph in the order the target hexes are traversed. COD later incorporated this into the mechanics of play.

Skulking is the tactic of moving out of LOS and advancing back into the hex to deny defensive fire. The Skulking tactic is usually a rather spirited discussion... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/606419/so-why-is-skulking-an...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Groß
Germany
Unspecified
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. I thought this was how it worked. Good to know about the DCs as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.