7 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Reinforcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
Denmark
flag msg tools
Does it make sense to buy a single reinforcement pack to start with or does that make the boosted decks overpowered in contrast to the default decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know if overpowered, but it does give more options, which is always good. And for 2 people, it's just nice to be on the same footing and both be able to do a little customizing rather than only 1 of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each reinforcement deck "boosts" two factions, so as long as you have the base decks concerned, you should be able to maintain parity.

I still like to play with base decks sometimes even when reinforcements are available. It seems like the reinforcements have been balanced pretty well, but the base decks were designed to have their own workable consistency, and should be able to beat reinforced ones with skilled play. Ignorant deckbuilding with reinforcements is at least as likely to hurt as to help you win, although the deckbuilding rules should keep players in the ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fine. There was a lady, Sara, in the final Summoner Wars tournament at GenCon, she came in second with a 3-1 record and my kids told me she played Phoenix Elves straight out of the box. I think this is a pretty good endorsement that you don't really need to customize to be competitive.

You will be fine buying just one reinforcements pack. The only reason to buy all of them is because they are great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 3 reinforcements that I feel definitively improve factions: Fallen Kingdom, Vanguards, and Cloaks. And, what a coincidence, those are the 3 weakest factions with base decks... So if anything I'd say buy those reinforcements in order to MAKE the game balanced.

For any other factions, I've never found a secret combo that makes them way better with reinforcements. It's more for variety of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinforcements can also make certain match-ups better, but often at the expense of other match-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always looked at the reinforcement decks as ways to customize for other decks versus being overpowered. Case in point, there is a GD champion who is hell to take on since any missed die rolled means the attack itself missed. There are certain factions that simply aren't built to counter it. Reinforcements and mercenaries give you flexibility to have a better chance. This does not mean when you are playing against other factions you are overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.