Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
This is a pilot for a possible continuing series of impossibly trivial trivia questions regarding wargaming and its history. (It's sorta like "Cash Cab"!) Modest prize to be awarded to the first to answer correctly (if I have any Geek Gold.)

So, would you like to play?

Question One: What was the name of the non-existent SPI game that appeared in the company's "Feedback" section to help validate subscribers' responses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... a fuzzy guess... Zepplin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a supply and logistics game with an insanely high complexity level. Take that hint and find the name of the feedback item... I can't remember it! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked through the feedback questions for several issues. In each issue, several questions are simply "No question", which is apparently how they validated responses.

The Feedback for Issue 83 (issue game: The Kaiser's Battle) does ask readers to rate a Simulations Canada game called Reketny Kreyser, which doesn't seem to exist (it isn't listed here, and Google didn't turn up anything either). It's question #66.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
I just looked through the feedback questions for several issues. In each issue, several questions are simply "No question", which is apparently how they validated responses.

The Feedback for Issue 83 (issue game: The Kaiser's Battle) does ask readers to rate a Simulations Canada game called Reketny Kreyser, which doesn't seem to exist (it isn't listed here, and Google didn't turn up anything either). It's question #66.

Paging Mr. Newberg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
zuludawn wrote:

No cigar! http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33998/raketny-kreyser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Logistics One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
ltmurnau wrote:
Logistics One.
Perhaps you're thinking of "Strategy I," a game I have never seen played. Still, it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Scrogdog wrote:
Hmmm... a fuzzy guess... Zepplin?
Was that a trial balloon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No; I own and have played Strategy I. Logistics I was to have been the flip side of this design: instead of abstracted supply and production rules, players would concentrate on supply and production chains, delivering material to the front to be ground up or wrecked in an abstract combat process.

This feedback proposal was a joke, but apparently enough people voted for it that they had to admit it was a joke. Dunnigan made refence to this in an early edition of his Complete Wargames handbook, and I distinctly remember reading the proposal, though I do not have either reference to hand right now.

Though perhaps this is an answer to a question you are not asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I see now that Zepplin was actually published years later; announced in #23 published in 159.

Also, Strategy II was announced but never came, but I don't think that's it either. That one died without a lot of fanfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
No; I own and have played Strategy I. Logistics I was to have been the flip side of this design: instead of abstracted supply and production rules, players would concentrate on supply and production chains, delivering material to the front to be ground up or wrecked in an abstract combat process.

This feedback proposal was a joke, but apparently enough people voted for it that they had to admit it was a joke. Dunnigan made refence to this in an early edition of his Complete Wargames handbook, and I distinctly remember reading the proposal, though I do not have either reference to hand right now.

Though perhaps this is an answer to a question you are not asking.

Didn't this have something to do with the subsequent proposal for The Campaign for North Africa? Brain cells are fuzzy, but I seem to remember a link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure; if The Campaign for North Africa was also a joke, then it was an expensive and labour-intensive one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
This is a pilot for a possible continuing series of impossibly trivial trivia questions regarding wargaming and its history. (It's sorta like "Cash Cab"!) Modest prize to be awarded to the first to answer correctly (if I have any Geek Gold.)

Question One: What was the name of the non-existent SPI game that appeared in the company's "Feedback" section to help validate subscribers' responses?

I haven't looked at the rest of the thread but I believe your referring to: Production Module 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit that was the one I was writing about, I had the name wrong... War Production Module I, that was it. Thanks!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nato, Nukes and Nazis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
billyboy wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

I haven't looked at the rest of the thread but I believe your referring to: Production Module 1

"War Production Module I," as I remember it, IS legendary, but I don't believe it was ever said to be a completed and published game.

I wonder if I should give a clue to this admittedly difficult and trivial question. Yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
billyboy wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

"War Production Module I," as I remember it, IS legendary, but I don't believe it was ever said to be a completed and published game.

I wonder if I should give a clue to this admittedly difficult and trivial question. Yes?

Correct! Production Module I or WPM 1 was an inside (to S&T subscribers) joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I'm not sure; if The Campaign for North Africa was also a joke, then it was an expensive and labour-intensive one.

I imagine it paid for itself. I have this dim recollection that the proposal arose from discussion about the fake production game, but it could be just my meds talking. CNA was logistics anyway, not production. Somebody should ask Berg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
kgm3219 wrote:
Nato, Nukes and Nazis?
Kristian, you should be a game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Sphere wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

I imagine it paid for itself. I have this dim recollection that the proposal arose from discussion about the fake production game, but it could be just my meds talking. CNA was logistics anyway, not production. Somebody should ask Berg.
Deduct two points from my score. (I thought Dunnigan was CNA's designer!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it's time for a clue, since we're thrashing around in the water so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about SPI game ratings or feedback on proposed SPI games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
pete belli wrote:
Are we talking about SPI game ratings or feedback on proposed SPI games?
Game ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
ltmurnau wrote:
Well, I guess it's time for a clue, since we're thrashing around in the water so...

First clue: The (imaginary) game presumably covered a "forgotten army."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.