BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 5 Surprise Games of Gen Con rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
First off, I want to say that I am new to this site. Some people I was playing a game with on Friday at Gen Con turned me on to this site and it seems like a great place to hang out and discuss games. Not much of a computer person, but maybe I will become one now. Anyways...

I was at Gen Con from Thursday morning until Saturday Night and I had a great time as I am sure everyone did except those who did not get their own Copy of Netrunner. In any event, I went to Gen Con this year with a list of games I wanted to play and buy and I had a budget. Well, that all went out the window! I did by a few of the games I really wanted: Dominion-Dark Ages and Power Grid-First Sparks and a handful more, but I surprised myself by getting sucked into some of the lesser known sectors of the Con this year. Maybe it is the age creepy in or something but I really enjoyed being able to talk with the actual designers and loved getting to play some really cool prototypes.

I bought 5 games this year that I never had heard of going into Thursday Morning. Maybe you might have heard of them and perhaps I am a bit ignorant when it comes to all things board games, but I will share anyways.

Please add to this list any games that surprised you on your Gen Con journey this year that you bought for yourself or a friend that you had not heard of beforehand.

Shadowrift

I was drawn in by the box art. This was more of an inpulse buy at first, but later when I had the chance to play it I had a blast. A great deck-building game with wonderful art and a few nice changes that seperate it from other deck-builders.

I really liked the idea of starting as a generic adventurer and then being able to custom craft the hero as you went along. It felt quite organic.

PLAGUE: The Card Game

I am not a huge fan of trick-taking games but I got the chance to sit down and play a few rounds of this little gem with the designer himself. It uses a rock-paper-scissors mechanics for the trumps and has these nasty Plague cards. It also uses a victory point system that I found both refreshing and balanced. Good share of both luck and strategy in this one.

I bought a copy even though the designer told me there was a Kickstarter campaign for the game. I have also backed the project as well. I would like to see this game make it.

I thought I would edit this post to include a link to the Kickstarter page. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243534184/plague-the-ca...

Check it out.

Leviathans

Again, the art drew me in. The idea of sky warfare was just gravy after that. This is a wargame that I had not heard of but it looked like a bunch of fun and I was right. It uses dice rolling but I found the mechanics to be very well thought out and balanced. Had fun playing this with a group of younger gamers as well and they seemed to pick it up quickly. Infact, I lost that round.

Starship Merchants

I will not lie. I have not had the chance to play this one yet, but at $35 it seems to be a steal. The art is fantastic and who doesn't like exploring space and transporting goods? That is what games are all about!

Will update once I get a chance to play it for myself.

Morels

This game seemed quite popular as I saw many people walking around with a copy under their arm or on their drag behind carts. I need a cart. Anyways, after seeing a thousand people walking around with a copy of a game I never even heard of I got a bit curious to say the least.

Well it turns out that this was my biggest surprise game of the weekend. What a great little two player game. Mushroom picking seemed quite odd at first, but within minutes I was soaking it all up. The day and night decks is a very unique idea and I simply love this game. Right up there with battleline for me when it comes to a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrift was one of my big surprises at Gencon. The other game I hadn't heard about, but ended up buying was Smash Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yep, I bought a copy of Smash Up as well. What a fun game, but I had heard of it going into Thursday so I didn't put it on my list. I played a demo of it and everyone was having a great time. These five I had not heard of at all. However, they are all really great in their own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not been to Gen Con but thanks for the info. I came across Morels yesterday while trying to put together a game order. At first I thought, "mushrooms?", but it actually sounds pretty intriguing. I'll have to wait to get my hands on this one.

Welcome to BGG. It's addictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Morels all over Gen Con reports and Geek Lists - seems like something I'll have to look into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Morels must have sold a ton of copies at Gen Con. Sounds like it is really starting to gather a following. Mushrooms seem like an odd choice, but hey Mario has been smashing them for 30 years and it has worked out well for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leviathans looks awesome, but a bit rich for my budget right now, let alone finding players in my group. Morels was on my radar and I made three attempts to get a demo on Saturday with no luck. One of those purchases I wanted to make but also wanted my wife to try it first. Sounds like I will be gettig this one eventually.

Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yeah, Leviathans was expensive. I spent quite a bit more then I wanted too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morels is a great two player game, and I picked it up as well. Smash Up was my other buy, but had Seasons been in stock I would have bought that instead. Smash Up fits the "dorky card game" mold of Munchkin without alienating non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to picking up a copy of Morels when it hits the retail stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Smash Up fits the "dorky card game" mold of Munchkin without alienating non-gamers.

Wait...I thought Munchkin alienated gamers, not non-gamers, judging by its reputation on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my voice to the morels supporters. Fell in love with this at Origins this year and bought it immediately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Thanks Robert again for the props! Also, welcome to BGG! I really enjoyed meeting new people and getting a chance to demo Plague with a lot of folks. It was a lot of fun and I got a bunch of positive feedback. Enjoy your copy of Plague and thanks for backing the Kickstarter as well. I am hoping to be able to produce A high quality game for many people to enjoy!

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Smash Up fits the "dorky card game" mold of Munchkin without alienating non-gamers.

Wait...I thought Munchkin alienated gamers, not non-gamers, judging by its reputation on this site.

It actually falls into a weird middle area, most serious gamers tend to find the jokes humorous the first couple of plays, but quickly realize the gameplay is subpar. Nongamers don't really get the jokes, but don't really know any better as far as the gameplay goes (though many are scared off by the "inside" jokes).

So I'm guessing, in the end Munchkin normally falls in the realm of people who are gamer enough to get the jokes, but not gamer enough to know any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all this talk of Morels, I'll have to check it out. I didn't think it sounded too interesting, but maybe I should give it a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't go, but based on geeklists that came out of GenCon, Guild of Thieves("Hey, That's My Fish" meets Dominion) and Space Cadets(starship crew with individual unique gameplay) were the ones that I bookmarked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who is interested, you can purchase Morels directly from the Two Lanterns website. I went ahead and splurged even though I know it'll show up at my FLGS eventually. It's nice for companies to benefit directly when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know when Morels is supposed to go to retailers? I have to admit that I am interested, but feel like I got screwed by not ordering early and getting the wooden sticks/mini-frying pans.

You can still order the game and extra bits from the publisher's website, but it'd run over $30 plus shipping. Not sure if I want to go that route yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorg Thuijls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in for Morels! Have had a good time with it so far. If you don't mind the shipping costs, you can get it from their website

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by a game at GenCon not on your list, but in a roundabout way. Let me explain:
When I drove to Indianapolis on Saturday morning, I had a short list of games I wanted to try and purchase, and one was a new release from Asmadi called Sanitarium. From pre-release info, it appeared to drip with theme as you used tiles to build your exit out of a spooky sanitarium. When I made it to the Asmadi booth, I was surprised to discover Sanitarium was in a very small box and was primarily a card game - cards were used to build the asylum. I hesitated buying at first, but a nice woman at the booth set me up with a 'How to Play' session with the designer. I bought it and I'm really happy that I did. It is a fun game that plays fast and on a small footprint, and the theme elements I was hoping for are definitely there!

That's why GenCon is such a hoot to attend, right? You have so many more valuable (and fun) datapoints when deciding on a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Anyone know when Morels is supposed to go to retailers? I have to admit that I am interested, but feel like I got screwed by not ordering early and getting the wooden sticks/mini-frying pans.

You can still order the game and extra bits from the publisher's website, but it'd run over $30 plus shipping. Not sure if I want to go that route yet.

Morels is wonderful Matt. I spent £30 (! well my gf did) not $30 to get it shipped to the UK with the sticks and it was worth every penny. It might even get my partner back into gaming since a hiatus after having a baby.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

Morels is wonderful Matt. I spent £30 (! well my gf did) not $30 to get it shipped to the UK with the sticks and it was worth every penny. It might even get my partner back into gaming since a hiatus after having a baby.

M B

Based on your avatar, I guess you DID enjoy the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.