Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Visions of setting the boardgame in Pandora dance in my head. Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Uhm...no? Don't get me wrong, I like the Borderlands video game franchise by Gearbox, and the board game is most certainly capable of having themes slapped on, but it doesn't need it. Those that have played both games know that there's not much in common between the two.

In the board game, you play a barbarian ruler in the distant future, set on a rugged continent of lush forests, great wild horses and plentiful mineral deposits. Using a combination of diplomacy, trade and strategic defense, you trying to successfully build and protect your cities. So basically you're collecting and using resources to build up a civilization, using diplomacy and combat to protect your cities.

The video game is an amalgamation of a first person shooter and an RPG where you play one of four different mercenary vault hunters, each with specialized abilities that can be unlocked throughout the game. Players take on quests on the mineral rich wasteland of a planet called Pandora, in an attempt to bring themselves closer to said vault, whose existence was uncovered by one of the mining companies, scavenging for cash, weapons, ammo, items and info in the process. In the video game, there is little to no diplomacy. Players are dropped off into a hostile alien environment where everyone is pretty much shoot first, figure things out second.

In the board game, resources are key. Trading is common and usually what you can't get by trade, you get by attacking those that have what you want and need.

In the video game, it's not so much about building anything as it is destroying things. Players collect weapons, ammo and equipment of varying degrees of effectiveness and what you can't collect, you buy with the money you collect.

In the board game, alliances are formed and broken along with the ebb and flow of power and control of the land and it's resources. Each player is competing with each other and it is not possible to secure victory for oneself and oneself only, while still allied with any other player.

In the video game, multiplayer play is only possible by the addition of other vault hunters to the party. In this instance, players are completely capable of screwing each other over, but if any player beats the game, everyone shares in the victory. In fact, when one player acquires money in the game, all other players find themselves equally richer.

So you see, a Borderlands-themed Borderlands board game just isn't likely. They're too different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was in reference to Lords of Conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gallmann
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only reference to this game is the Apple II game called Lords of Conquest.

I'm assuming the video game you are referencing is different than Lords of Conquest? My hope is that the final boardgame design from FFG is very similar to this original LoC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Uhm...Lords of Conquest IS Borderlands. It was designed by the same people. The Borderlands mentioned by the OP is something entirely different. The Borderlands that Fantasy Flight is releasing is at the very least, derivative of the original Eon board game. So far all I know is that it has a post-apocalyptic steampunk theme, which is quite a change from the original. No idea about any changes to the mechanics.

Back on topic, I like the video game the OP mentions and would likely be interested in a board game adaptation, but again...as someone who has owned and played both, they just wouldn't mix well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Uhm...Lords of Conquest IS Borderlands. It was designed by the same people. The Borderlands mentioned by the OP is something entirely different. The Borderlands that Fantasy Flight is releasing is at the very least, derivative of the original Eon board game. So far all I know is that it has a post-apocalyptic steampunk theme, which is quite a change from the original. No idea about any changes to the mechanics.

Back on topic, I like the video game the OP mentions and would likely be interested in a board game adaptation, but again...as someone who has owned and played both, they just wouldn't mix well.

Why couldn't you divide Pandora up into regions, under the control of different corporations from the Borderlands videogame? I know the Borderlands videogame is an FPS-RPG, but there is room for other games based in that universe.

By the way, I do understand Lords of Conquest is Eon adopting Borderlands to the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
docreason wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:

Why couldn't you divide Pandora up into regions, under the control of different corporations from the Borderlands video game?

That's kinda-sorta how it currently is as some corporations still have facilities on Pandora, but not so much entire regions. Even if they did, such a ret-con does nothing about the glaring differences between the games. The only thing that would work would be to release a Borderlands board game set on Pandora with the aforementioned corporations, but leave most of the subsequent plot of the video game out. No Vault and no Vault Hunters. The resources of the game would have to change, but to what? The only minerals encountered in the video game are shock crystals and corrosive crystals. In the board game, there are timber, horses, coal, iron and gold, each used to purchase, build or create cities, weapons or riverboats. How do you rectify the discrepancies?

Also, the entirety of the game plot takes place after the 12 corporations left, leaving the colonists on the planet to experience the spring awakening of the previously hibernating alien creatures.

Which of the 12 corporations would you use?
What year(s) would the game be set in?
Before the corporate exodus, or after?
Either way, half of the stuff people love about the video game would become anachronistic.
The Iridian tech, including the Vault weren't uncovered until after the corporations left. If set before the corporations left, then no skags, no spiderants, no rakk, no crabworms, no drifters, no scythids, no nothing but human colonists of varying degrees of morality, which is fine for a game about 4-6 corporations competing to set up shop on Pandora, but that brings us back to resources, of which we are never given much detail.
Makes it easier to make things up, but it wouldn't truly be themed after the video game, would it? Not to mention that there's no way to incorporate the elements of the video game that make it fun, shootin' and lootin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't fit Borderlands. They happen to have the same name, but there is nothing in the video game to suggest a strategy game tie-in, nor anything in the board game that makes you think, If only this were an FPS! Borderlands the FPS might make a good board game, but this isn't it.

The board game already has a theme ready to go anyway, apparently. Let's not give FFG any ideas that would lead to delaying the release. I want Borderlands now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can't wait to equip my Hellfire Diplomacy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

Why would they shoehorn in an ill-fitting theme for which they'd have to pay a licensing fee and deal with assorted contract issues?

Nothing's stopping you from pretending it's in the same universe when you play, but I don't want anything to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play Lords of Conquest a lot growing up with my Dad. Basically we were hotseating (although all the info was open so it didn't matter) in front of my Tandy 1000 every night for a couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.