Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb

I've been trying to locate a story I read eons ago. It's set in a future where learned skills can be removed from one person and sold to another. The protagonist is a language expert learning spanish. His "dealer" gauges his skill level by letting him read the original Don Quixote. Under pressure from the rich client's final exam deadline the protagonist goes on the run in the desert trying to finally finish the book before having the language removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recognize it but I'm more knowledgeable on Golden Age SF. It sounds to me more likely to be later. When did you read it? Do you remember if it was in a magazine, ana anthology or a single author collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I suspect I read it back in the 80's. No idea on it's original publication. In that time period I was reading pretty voraciously. It could have been in Asimov's, or Analog, or most likely a multi author collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.