Subject: My tournament experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in the Icebreaker Tournament. I have never played in anything competitive before, except a couple of HeroClix games at a local game store and I had a feeling tournaments at Gen Con are much more competitive than that.

I was very nervous as I am more of a casual player and I envisioned losing within 5 minutes. Due to lack of time (my first Gen Con so I was running around doing as much as I could), I used a standard Jinteki corp and Kate "Mac" McCaffrey as runner. I only purchased one set.

I don't recall anyone's names or what decks they used. I had played Netrunner when it was released by WotC so I had a good grasp of the rules.

The first round, I lost 20-2. I scored 2 points as the runner before he flatlined me. Fortunately, my opponent was very friendly and could probably tell I was nervous as I kept forgetting the abilities on the identity cards. I think I lost in 30 minutes as I was able to hold out longer as the corp.

The second round I barely won, 16 - 14 (or something close to that). I won as the corp but lost as the runner. As the runner, I had 6 agenda points and he scored his 7th before I could snag it. As the corp I was able to flatline him.

The third round I won 20-2. It was very close with him as the runner. I was setting up ice to try and flatline him but was able to get my 7th agenda points. As the runner, I was lucky and snagged quite a few agenda points from R&D.

The fourth round, my opponent did not show.

I was able to get over my nervousness during my second round but everyone was nice and helpful as we all pointed out things to each other.

My SOS/Rating was 41/15 and I was listed in the 14th row when all was said and done. No idea what that means but I'll tell my kids I was ranked #14 in the world for a short time.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
14th in the world is awesome. Congrats.

Since you've played Original NR, any comments on the reboot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
14th in the world is awesome. Congrats.

Not to take away from the achievement, but...

14th of those able to go to GenCON and get tickets to the event.

"World" Championships" (which is "People willing to go to FFG's headquarters for their weekend long event") happens later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know but I still will tell my kids that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
Since you've played Original NR, any comments on the reboot?
To be honest, the only differences I "felt" were the identity cards having abilities and differences in Trace. Otherwise, to me, it felt just like playing Netrunner. As I said I am a casual player so I have not memorized cards, etc. So if a card came out that was in the original edition but worded differently in this edition, I would never know.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not super indepth with the classic cards myself. I was only introduced to Netrunner a few years ago. I love the game, but my exposure is limited when it comes to card base and I have no connection to any previous meta.

I'm chomping at the bit to get the new game. Just from what I've seen, it feels like the game I know, but polished a bit cleaner.

So far, it seems that players completely new to Netrunner are enjoying it and those familiar with 90sNR aren't finding anything jarring or off-putting. Just makes me more excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
I'm not super indepth with the classic cards myself. I was only introduced to Netrunner a few years ago. I love the game, but my exposure is limited when it comes to card base and I have no connection to any previous meta.

I'm chomping at the bit to get the new game. Just from what I've seen, it feels like the game I know, but polished a bit cleaner.

So far, it seems that players completely new to Netrunner are enjoying it and those familiar with 90sNR aren't finding anything jarring or off-putting. Just makes me more excited.

Indeed, it seems that most of the nail biting over factions has proven to be all for naught. The factions are the single biggest addition to the game, and from all accounts, really help define the game for the players. Where 90sNR lacked direction and focus, A:NR gives it to the players out of the box while still allowing for different approaches and decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Indeed, it seems that most of the nail biting over factions has proven to be all for naught. The factions are the single biggest addition to the game, and from all accounts, really help define the game for the players. Where 90sNR lacked direction and focus, A:NR gives it to the players out of the box while still allowing for different approaches and decks.

Actually, I was never concerned about the factions idea. As soon as I heard about different factions in the game I liked it. I'm not thoroughly versed in many C/L/TCGs, but forced differentiation is usually a good thing. Keeps the flavor in the recipe fresh.

I got into hobby board gaming just a few years ago. The organizer of my regular gaming night is 98% cult of the new, but he introduces Netrunner to everyone he can get interested in it. After playing, I bought a starter pack from him and then got some old commons and uncommons off of eBay. I did have the sense that without any limiting factors in deckbuilding (outside agenda to deck ratio), it lacked the thrill in the deckbuilding aspect that I get from putting together EDH MtG decks. Very limited card pool + so-so attitude toward deckbuilding = a game I enjoy playing, but I haven't broken apart decks for fun since making a runner & corp that are pretty well balanced against each other for every once in a while play.

Enter the reprint and I've been pumped. I've been teaching the classic game to anyone who will listen to ensure players to share the new game with.

But I have just had this irrational fear that something would be "broken". A balance issue, perhaps. Or something that soured the hardcore classic players (which could help the longevity of the game.) However, the game seems to be getting a pretty good reception all over so it's just ratcheting up my excitement that much more.

I'm also very excited because the guy in our gaming group mentioned earlier was at GenCon and got it. So tomorrow night I get to actually play!

P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking your Tournament Report thread, Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking your Tournament Report thread, Michael.
No problems. I will install some ICE and hope I have enough credits to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.