Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the power of the Mining Faction?

What are the new Core Worlds? (I know one is called Raven and the other is the Promo. I'm wondering what the fleet/ground strength of these are, and what they score bonus points off of.)

What was the starting event?

Did you find analysis paralysis occurring with all the options presented by the faction powers? Or did they make it easier to play even with the events disrupting things?

Did any players win/lose because of a given event being in play?

Did you see a range of strategies work? aka, full deployment on the first few turns vs taking planets asap so their deck can be culled.

Did any players draft tactics which did not take actions lead to them preforming better than others?

What was the final score range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Chris.

I can get things started by telling you the Mining Coalition, since that has been asked in a few threads.

"During your turn, gain 2 Energy."

That's it, short and simple. Not as big of a kick as the Science or Merchant Orders, but more versatile (since it can be used for anything, including starting invasions, pumping Units, etc.). The energy can also be split up for different purposes (i.e. 1 Energy to start an invasion, 1 Energy to pay toward a Unit).

Now combine that with the text on the new planet Hephaestus and you've really got a party rolling! robot

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get to demo at Gen Con, but unfortunately i had to leave right as turn 10 was starting. I was late for another event.

There are a couple of nice new early planets to grab. Plus there is a capital city now where when you have 3 planets you can choose to cull a card under the capital, so there is incentive to buy planets early.

Also the starting planet has a second ability now. If you have more planets then cards in your warzone you get to draw an extra card, so again a reason to use your cards for invading planets instead of letting them sit around in the warzone.

There were some cards that synergized with a mining guild strategy nicely.

I don't remember the effect of the starting event, but the events added fun twists to the game.

I really enjoyed playing with the expansion, and hated to leave before it finished, but didn't want to miss out on my next event either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like Dan, also had to leave at the start of the 10th round for another event. But agree with everything he stated. The "events" are fun, and I do like the changes to the game. They really do open up your options.

The flip side of this (although I find it true of the base game also), is you have to try and weigh the many options open to you. It takes a bit of time to read the cards available in the center pool, and digest how they could be of benefit to you and any strategies you may have, along with timing other things you might want to do on your turn. If this game has any negative to me, that would be it. Of course playing it a couple of times will increase card familiarity, and reduce decision making time.

Bottom line is that this game rocks! I love the theme, the artwork,the game play mechanics, and the decisions that face you. The Galactic Orders expansion is an INSTA-BUY for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
and the other is the Promo.

Promo? There's been promos for this game?

But it's included in this expansion for sure? Are there any other promos?

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The promo Core World and re-issue of original Core Worlds with new flavor text are the only promo cards for Core Worlds (so far). As previously stated, the current plan is to only make these available for those who attend a qualifying Con (which BGG Con is one) and those who pre-order through the stronghold site some time in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
The promo Core World and re-issue of original Core Worlds with new flavor text are the only promo cards for Core Worlds (so far). As previously stated, the current plan is to only make these available for those who attend a qualifying Con (which BGG Con is one) and those who pre-order through the stronghold site some time in October.

But these promos are in the actual expansion, or at least the new homeworlds I thought? Or no? Or are these a different thing?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
delewobmesid wrote:

But these promos are in the actual expansion, or at least the new homeworlds I thought? Or no? Or are these a different thing?

Thanks.

Here is the original thread
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/837341/expansion-demos-a...
Andrew Parks wrote:
Here is some more Promo information which I have confirmed with Stronghold Games:

1) The Promo is actually a Promo Pack of 7 Cards. The first card is an 8th Core World (the one used in the demo) that players can add to their game. The other 6 cards are new versions of the original 6 Core Worlds that include flavor text to explain the significance of those worlds in the Core Worlds galaxy.

2) Stronghold plans to have the Promo Pack at BGG Con, and players who purchase a copy of Galactic Orders at BGG Con will receive the Promo Pack as a free bonus.

Thanks!

Andrew

Andrew Parks wrote:
The official information from Stronghold Games regarding all of their promos is:

1) The Promo is given out for FREE as a bonus to all those who preorder the game.

2) The Promo is given out at Essen as well, IF it is an Essen release (this is).

3) The Promo may or may not be sold after that, either by Stronghold Games or BGG Store or in the regular Distribution/Retail chain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the info, man!

Just bought Core Worlds last week (LOVE it so far!), hence the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.