Subject: Doomtown US Championship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Them dirty varmits in tha south done got themselves a Tourney, us REAL westerners better get one too!

The United States Championship will be held this October near Portland, OR.

Here's The Details:

WHEN: Saturday, October 20th, 2012 - 2 PM (Registration Begins at noon)

WHERE: Epic Gaming
17185 SE McLoughlin Boulevard
Milwaukie, OR 97267
1 (503) 850-4756

HOW MUCH: $5 (This is just to alleviate costs on me for prizes, I encourage people to buy SOMETHING from the shop, Sleeves, other games, dice, soda... SOMETHING!)

FORMAT: Open, with TCP 2012 Legal

PRIZES:
US Champion Sleeves (Winner)
The Champions Project Card (Winner)
TCP 2012 Pack (Winner)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group Gift certificate (Winner)
NEW PRIZES (Winner and Top 4!) [These are in the works and should be ready by the event, might even be ready by The Greenhorn Championship]
Reveal of a new HEG physical card release (as participation prizes!)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group Discount Code (Participant)

SIDE EVENTS: I am considering a Two-Pack Single Elimination if there is interest, at High Noon on Saturday, and a as yet unannounced special format for Sunday at Noon. Need a "head count" for interest and pre-reg.

(As things get more solidified, I will update this post so you can find all the info you need.)

The Portland, Oregon Area has long been the Northwest's "Mecca of Doomtown". Home to Tim Meyer Former AEG Doomtown Story team member and current head of HEG, Portland's Quickdraw League topped off at 22 players in 2001, and local convention OryCon hosted annual storyline tournaments that brought in such famous names as John Yarbrough. The local group is no laughing matter either, Having beaten visiting World Champions, and building/developing some of the strongest decks and strategies in the game they promise to deliver a great event filled with flying bullets, spells, and bodies.

Attendance so far is in upper single digits, but we have more people joining the posse everyday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attendance is looking like MINIMUM of about 10!

Rich Carter and John Yarbrough are trying to work it out.

If you haven't RSVP'd you should, as the Two-Pack will be pre-reg only, assuming we have interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONFIRMED Attendance:
Tim J. Meyer
Rich Carter
Rob "Ashlar Mayfair" Hartwein
Brian Hamburg
(And 4 other Local players)

Making arrangements:
Zachary "Jordan Caldwell" Seldon
"TLC" John Yarbrough
The Whitneys (But it's not looking good at last report)
Dan Oravasaari
(And at least two other "unknown" local gamers)

IF YOU CAN ATTEND, LET ME KNOW! I wanna make sure I will have enough participant prizes and I will be contacting people about the Two-Pack and Special Format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hooks
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
When I used to live on the west coast I attend this Convention for Doomtown a couple of times.

Past US and UK champ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a chill, foggy, wind that’s a blowin’ through Gomorra bringing word of big doings to the North. Yes, bigger than Halloween and more fun than the Golden Mare on payday, it’s the US Championships. I’m here for another go around of color commentary, but an event this big needs a professional oddsmaker. I’ll do the color commentary, but let me introduce you to Jimmy the Geek .

It takes two points to make a line. Likewise, it takes two tourneys to make a Tour and along with that, a tournament metagame. Without further ado, let’s meet the characters savory and otherwise:

2-1: Tim Meyer (Harrowed777). Normally the reigning Harrowed champ would be the ‘one to beat’, but Tim has been the Law west of the Willamette for well over a decade. Champs such as John Yarbrough and Zac Seldon have found themselves on the wrong end of Tim’s barrels. Home field moves the odds ever so slightly in his favor. While Portland retains an active play-group, Tim will not rely on the collective studs and draws of his posse, but instead mete out punishment solo style.

The Big Question(s): Just as Eric Jome has his pet SuperShooter, Tim fields the Los Ojos Loves Everyone-the dreaded one turn power win deck. Like Eric, Tim has vowed to leave LOLE out of the tourney fray. (But might we convince him to offer a side challenge to anyone who defeats the deck?) While ruling Portland with an iron fist, Tim has never made it to the ‘major tourney scene’. Can he build a tourney-winning deck to take on an elite field?

3-1: Zac Seldon (Jordan Caldwell). No longer a long-shot dark horse, Zac ran the table at the recent GenCon Harrowed tourney. Woodshedding via tests against top players such as Rich Carter and Tim Meyer has honed Zac’s game to a razor’s edge. In Golf, you ‘drive for show, putt for dough’. In Doomtown, you “shoot for show, Chess for dough”. While Zac loves a shootout as much as the next guy (especially if the next guy happens to be Eric Jome), he has learned to master the Chess game of having the right dudes in the right place at the right time and the patience to let his game plan unfold.

The Big Question(s):
Will Champions Honor prevail and find the Champ retiring the BlackJacks Toolbox and instead reaching into the Zac-Pac ™ to field a different outfit/deck for the US tourney? Can Zac stand tall in the saddle while wearing the Champion’s bulls-eye on his back?

4-1: John Yarbrough.
The former champ acquitted himself well in Indy. Pre-Con mike talk had John vowing to take down Rich Carter by any means necessary. Jolinaxas is a quirky Master indeed. To twist the Rolling Stones-You can sometimes get what you want, but not always what you need. Thanks to a nearly unstoppable J.P. Coleman xp, John’s Dixie Rails deck was able to put down Rich’s Sweetrock New Network (w/ 9 killer events) deck. Nevertheless, John was not able to outshoot, outmaneuver or outlast Zac, who claimed the coveted title.

The Big Question(s).
Having plugged the former champ and played tough against Zac and Tim, can John master the metagame to once again claim a title?

5-1: Rich Carter. Three different decks. Three time Harrowed Champion. Deputy Carter Richardson, Experienced bearer of the Wanted Poster. Truly a Doomtown legend. Alas, family obligations and a pending relocation found Rich Carter behind the eight ball on his title defense at GenCon. Despite the ring rust, the former Champ managed to go 3-2 (losing only to Yarbrough and fellow DoomSac-er Zac Seldon) at Indy against a top field. Rich remains an elite player and always brings championship gravitas to any event he enters.

The Big Question(s):
Rich will once again invoke Champions Honor, in NOT bringing his Championship decks to the party. Word out of Bakersfield is that Rich is tuning and refining an unholy trinity of deck ideas. Can he translate his vast store of Doomtown lore into yet another winning deck?

So far, most of the remaining field hails from either DoomSac or Portland. Consider these Dudes ‘long shots’ but given the right matchup any of ‘em can deal serious damage.

Dan Oravasaari: DoomSac’s own resident artist extraordinaire. Dan builds some of the trickiest, gnarliest bike decks around, but currently lacks the deckage or training time to make truly killer ‘open decks’. Still, Dan remains the odds-on favorite to pull off at least one ‘Seriously dude, can you really do that in Doomtown?’ moment.

From Portland area ranked viz Tim’s experience:

Brent and Ilia Whitney-Probably Doomtown’s premier ‘power couple’. Brent always gave Tim a tough game, and Ilia made it to the Final Table at the infamous Mayoral Election Tournament. Currently forming their own posse, the US Open will most likely find Ilia (and possibly Brent) booted to bring another dude into play (OOC: she’s preggers).

Rob Hartwein: the co-Mastermind who helped refine Jason Jung's beastly Reaping of Cards/Los Ojos deck and its antidote. His RPG character was so bad-ass that it gained DUO immortality (Ashlar Mayfair). Spotty attendance at major events ranks him behind the Whitneys, but Rob understands Doomtown and its mechanics as few others and is thus a force to be reckoned with.

Brian Hamburg: Has a couple of Silver Buckles (2nd place finishes) to his name. So far he is the ultimate best man. Can he get over the hump to become the groom?

Tim let slip that he has taken a protégé under his ample wingspan. Dare we say it? Dark Horse in the House

(Thanks Tim, for filling me in about Portland’s Posse-some descriptors shamelessly lifted from your blurb and all that : D )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to Interject in the oddsmaking, that Rob "Ashlar Mayfair" Hartwein and I were not alone int the evil that is Reaping/L.O.L.E. We did a lot to refine it, but former World Champ Jason Jung planted the seed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be calling time for lengthy matches. Not sure what the limit will be, but I will base it on the time we have and the number of people/rounds.

I still use the DCI Floor rules for Doomtown, cause AEG never released any.

"If the end of a round is called for time, any shootouts may be completed, but otherwise play stops immediately. Use the following victory conditions, in order, to determine who wins:
"Total Control Points
"Total Influence
"Gomorra Sloe Draw"

Now I can hear a few of you saying "WTF is Gomorra Sloe Draw??"

"If players involved in a match are still tied after comparing their Control Points and Influence, each player takes the following steps to determine a winner:
Discard your Play hand.
"Reshuffle your discard pile into your deck. Do not shuffle in your Boot Hill cards or your cards already in play. Draw a five-card Play hand. Set it aside. Neither player gets an extra card, as each player should have the same amount of Influence.
Draw a five-card Gomorra Sloe Draw hand.
"Take up to a three-card draw on the Sloe hand, paying 1 ghost rock for each card you draw.
"Reveal the Sloe Draw hand. Highest wins, unless Reactions create a different winner.
"Using Reactions in Gomorra Sloe Draw
"If players have any cards in their Play hands that can be used as Reactions (to Cheatin' hands or other applicable circumstances) the players may use these cards. Note: Players are not involved in a shootout and it isn't Noon, so Reactions that key on these factors cannot be used.
"If a Reaction card changes a player's Control-Point or Influence totals, revert back to that tiebreaker and award the victory based on the revised totals."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Yarbrough has confessed that he cannot defeat me. (He will be unable to attend.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been teasing a new prize type... Consider the tease over. Now you are just left to wonder what the new card is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Noon, Saturday October 20th (or as close to that as we can) Before the US Championship, we will have a VERY informal two-pack event.

Here's the score, thanks to the generosity of one Rich Carter, For $2.50, the first 12 participants to sign up get two (2) Boot Hill Booster Packs and a printed "Home on the Range" Outfit card.

Show up late? Doesn't matter. as long as you are within the first 12 and we haven't proceeded to the "cut" you get 2 packs and the Promo for $2.50.

At some point (likely close to 2ish) we will "cut." the players will be compared based on matches played/games won. The players in the top 8 (but not in the top 4) all get an extra pack. The players in the top four each get to keep their initial two packs, but get 2 new packs to play with.

The players who lose are eliminated and the players who win face off with two new packs!

Second place will receive a Home on the Range Wooden Home. First place will receive 2 bonus packs and a Home on the Range wooden home. (Winner chooses regular or Oversized, Second gets the other.

So for $2.50 you get:
Placed 12-9 - HotR Home & 2 BH Packs
Placed 8-5 - HotR Home & 3 BH Packs
Placed 4-3 - HotR Home & 4 BH Packs
Placed 2 - HotR Home, Wooden HotR Home & 6 Packs
Placed 1 - HotR Home, Wooden HotR Home & 8 Packs

Seems pretty worth it, huh?

(Note: Due to Rich's Generosity, we will also be able to give out some Boot Hill Packs with the prizes for the Championship!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 96 hours we will have the first US Champion for Doomtown since, what, 2004?

I hope this makes whatever your weekend plans are seem sad in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harrowed777 wrote:
In 96 hours we will have the first US Champion for Doomtown since, what, 2004?

I hope this makes whatever your weekend plans are seem sad in comparison.

For those about to shoot, we salute you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Just a quick post.

The first ever Two Pack Champ is newcomer Laurie Bick. She defeated World Champ Zach Seldon at the Final Table For the win.

The Final Four for the US Championship were Tim Meyer, Richard Carter, Rob Hartwein, and Zach Seldon. and in a "twist" victory Rich won both games by taking advantage of foreknowledge and a Weakness in the North-westerners play style!

Congratulations to Rich and Laurie!

(A more complete post will come tomorrow)

Turnout was 9 players, making it the biggest face-to-face event of 2012 (to date)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrowed777 wrote:
So, Just a quick post.

The first ever Two Pack Camp is newcomer Laurie Bick. She defeated World Champ Zach Seldon at the Final Table For the win.

Quote:

Tim let slip that he has taken a protégé under his ample wingspan. Dare we say it? Dark Horse in the House

That would be your protege, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurie Bick
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I am, though winning was pure luck. I beat the infinite 3 of a kind with an infinite 2 pair by utilizing 'That'll leave a Scar' (took me about 5 turns to figure out what it did, again I am barely a novice) to terminate the combo. Allowing me to ace his guys and win with New Town Hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raveen92 wrote:
I am, though winning was pure luck. I beat the infinite 3 of a kind with an infinite 2 pair by utilizing 'That'll leave a Scar' (took me about 5 turns to figure out what it did, again I am barely a novice) to terminate the combo. Allowing me to ace his guys and win with New Town Hall.

Actually, in discussing this with Tim and other sealed/draft mavens-that's the beauty of sealed-it takes away the 'mr. suitcase advantage' and focuses on making do w/ the cards at hand. Well played, ma'am" [/doff of the ol' Stetson]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Meyer - Law Dogs "Tell Me Your Secrets"
Rob Hartwein - Whatleys: Black Circle "Soul Blast Your Ass"
Laurie Bick - Blackjacks "What Game Am I Playing Again?"
Jonah Shriver - Blackjacks "Cheat to Win"
Toby Allen - Law Dogs: Nate Hunter's Office "Click, Click, BOOM!"
Brandon Brown - Sweetrock: Western Corporate Office "Mo' Money, No Problems"
Brian Hamburg - Whateleys: Black Circle (The deck is unnamed)
Zach Seldon - Maze Rats: Iron Dragon "The Brothers Li, or Iron Stomach"
Rich Carter - Collegium: Wastach Rails "This Looks Like a Job For Science!"

TD's Note: Due to 9 participants, we had some tough decisions to make. At 8, Double Elimination would have been the right answer, but it doesn't work at 9. 2 rounds of swiss and a cut to top 4 is unfair as it is basically single elimination. 9 is far to many for Round Robin. So 3 rounds of swiss and a cut to top 4 was decided, hesitantly. And in the end It was a poor decision as well.

3 Rounds of Swiss:

Round 1:
Zach v Laurie = Zach
Jonah v Tim = Tim
Rich v Brandon = Rich
Toby v Rob = Rob
Brian = Bye

Round 2:
Brian v Rich = Rich
Rob v Tim = Tim
Zach v Brandon = Zach
Jonah v Laurie = Laurie
Toby = Bye

At the end of Round 2, Jonah dropped due to parental interruption.

Round 3:
Tim v Rich = Tim
Zach v Brian = Zach
Laurie v Rob = Rob
Toby v Brandon = Toby.

Standings after swiss (in order):
Tim
Zach
Rich
Rob
Toby
Brian
Laurie
Jonah

After swiss we took a break to hand out some prizes and grab dinner, so those who didn't make the final four, didn't have to hang around.

There was a very close run for "Sportsman", so Zach and Brian were both awarded prizes.

The Final Four:

Table one: In a twist of automation, Tim faced Rich twice in a row. Unfortunately for Tim, not only was the element of surprise of his decks dirty tricks gone, but the gods of Cheatin' slapped him incredibly hard, providing him with a cheatin' hand each lowball. A couple well placed Divided Loyalties Crippled Tim beyond recovery and a Wendy Cheng combined with an Ambush took his last dude from the table, giving Rich an "upset" (based on the first match they had) victory.

Table two: Rob and Zach Faced off, Rob using Nicodemus, Jeb and His home to walk all over Zach and his "brothers."

Third place table: Disheartened by his turn of luck, Tim was defeated before he sat down. Zach hit Tim with a Run Outta Town, crippling his deck. Instead of trying to win, Tim shot against Zach's superior guns, losing the game.

Final Match: Rob failed to utilize Basil Whateley and cheated, which gave Rich the opening he needed to Take down the "all powerful" Nicodemus Whateley.

The Result: Rich Carter adds another Championship to his already outstanding record. 2012 US Champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.