Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well well, the common inevitable question a geek will always ask himself regularly: Which game to buy next?

My collection is mostly comprised of ameritrash titles, with many games from FFG (Descent 2nd ed., Runewars, Rex, Battles of Westeros, Gears of War, Talisman, Runebound 2nd ed., Mansions of Madness, Dust Tactics...) and other great titles like Claustrophobia, Space Hulk 3r ed., Ares Project...

First, here's my gamer status and custom:
- Every mondays I play 2-player games with my bro: our favorite 2-player sessions are with Claustro, Gears, Talisman, Dust Tactics, Runebound, Memoir'44, Conflict of Heroes...
- Every thursdays we can get from 2 to 4 players around the table (sometime 5 or 6): our favorites are FFG Civ, Arkham Horror, Eclipse, Runewars, Last Night on Earth, Merchants & Marauders.
- Playtime is mostly from 7pm to midnight, so games that play from 2 to 4 hours are not a problem at all BUT we want to be able to actually finish the game and not end in the middle of a session trying to figure out who's the winner.
- Theme can be anything from fantasy to sci-fi but for our 4+ sessions, sci-fi gets more votes.
- Multiple ways to win AND/OR great strategy needed for grabing the win.
- Involving and fluid mechanics and don't feel like a chore.
- Card games are meh for me and some of other players but games involving cards are perfectrly awesome

Now, after roaming the market and reading about many titles, here are those that got my attention:

- War of the Ring 2nd edition
- Mage Knight 3rd printing
- Earth Reborn (Owned it a year go but sold it due to not playing at all...but now it seems that a I could find a regular player to enjoy this game)
- Chaos in the Old World
- Cyclades
- Anything coming out soon that I should wait for/watch?

I don't have a minimum number of players since 2-player and 4+-player games will get played weekly.

Thanks much!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not all that experienced with it, but Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game sounds like it might be right up your alley. My brother owns it and he and I played part way through a game just to try to learn the rules, and it feels like it has a lot of depth, and obviously fits your sci-fi theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Helmuth
Denmark
Copenhagen
KBH S
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you tried Cosmic Encounter.. Base game plays 2-5 players. It is somewhat card driven, but the main interaction happens between players and there alien powers! It is awesome in my oppinion and have alot of replayability due to the massive ammount of alien powers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Mage Knight and Chaos in the Old World - both are games I'd love to get the the table more often.

Only thing I can think of not on your list is King of Tokyo. It's a filler, but possibly the best filler I've played and has been a hit every time I've dragged it out thus far. I'm also very eagerly awaiting Android: Netrunner if you don't mind going the 2player LCG model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Absolutely get Cyclades - wonderful game, easy to explain, great to play from 3 to 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I didn't read your full post. I just saw Chaos in the Old World and got ready to respond saying:
"You should definitely get Chaos in the Old World. It is the best game I have ever played. You will enjoy it a whole lot!!"

Then I read your entire post. So my recommendation now is:
"You should definitely get Chaos in the Old World. It is the best game I have ever played. You will enjoy it a whole lot!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
CitOW ftw... Warhammer 40k is the awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
You already know what you need:

Earth Reborn for 2 players and Chaos in the Old World for 4 players.

Edit: And you need to move to Cambridge, Ontario... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
- Anything coming out soon that I should wait for/watch?

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/143642/on-my-radar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:

...and War of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
squash wrote:

...and War of the Ring.

This needs repeating. War of the Ring is a great 2 player. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top ones i'm looking at now:

- Earth Reborn
- War of the Ring
- Chaos in the Old World + Horned Rat
- Mage Knight

All those game I can get at mostly the same price range ($65-75) from my FIGS (friendly internet game shop )...

All I need to decide is if I go 2-player or 4+-player...

EDIT: The problem I have is this one: My regular 2-player gamer (monday evenings) is my brother and he doesn't like overly complex games. He didn't liked Earth Reborn, doesn't like Runewars and probably won't like Mage Knight, all the contrary for me. He prefer coop games like Gears of War and Legend of Drizzt (which I like too, especially GoW). His favorite game so far seems to be Talisman.

Then on thrusday evenings I play with a friend which liked Earth Reborn but seeing the cheer amount of games we have I don't think we could ONLY play ER to get comfortable with it quickly...

That leaves me with less options and sad ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.