Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This situation came up in a game last week.

Rommel is leading the complete 21st panzer in an attack on an Allied stack.

Base odds are 2:1.
Axis has 3 shifts: Rommel, combined arms, divisional integrity.
Allies have no shifts.
Modified odd are now 5/6:1.

Both sides have 3 air points available. Attacker, then defender, must declare air points.

Here is where I got confused. Since the Axis already have the max 3 shifts, any Axis air points assigned to this battle will not shift the odds. (The Allied player need not assign any air points to counter the Axis air power.) It makes sense then, for the Axis player not to waste their precious air points. However, the Allies can then assign all 3 air points and get the odds back down 2:1.

Am I not understanding the "max 3 shifts rule," or the order of determining column shifts on the CRT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the final number of shifts that count.

In your example, the Axis must either spend air points in advance to negate possible allied air, or keep their air for another battle and hope that the allies choose not to lower the odds.

If, for example, the Axis spend one air point, then the first Allied point spent would be negated. The Allies might choose to spend three points and this would drop the odds by 2 columns instead of 3.

If the Allies spend none, then the Axis air point has no effect as the basic odds have already been upped by the maximum of 3 columns.

In other words, the Axis can spend as many points as they like, but the final odds cannot be more than 3 columns from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the response. The rule still feels clunky to me.

In your response,, you stated the "Axis must either spend air points in advance to negate possible allied air..."

But in my example (3 shifts for the attacking Axis before air points are declared, 0 shifts for the Allies), this is not true. No matter how many air points the Axis spend, none of them will have any effect, since 3 shifts have already been achieved. The Allies need do not counter with their own air points---the "3 max shifts" rule will counter any amount of Axis air power for this combat.

This certainly makes defensive air power very powerful in the teeth of a well-planned attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
VP, Defender declares first. Re-read the rule. The opposite situation can still happen, but thats unhelpful to the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good catch! That would explain it.

3.2b Use as Combat Odds Shifts—as
Attacker and Defender. When any combat
is announced, either player can opt to
apply Air Points to affect the battle. The
defender must announce his Air Points
before the attacker needs to decide, and
both must commit desired Air Points before
computing any odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maurice of Lemon wrote:
Good catch! That would explain it.

3.2b Use as Combat Odds Shifts—as
Attacker and Defender. When any combat
is announced, either player can opt to
apply Air Points to affect the battle. The
defender must announce his Air Points
before the attacker needs to decide, and
both must commit desired Air Points before
computing any odds.

This rule along with the max 3 rule introduce an important element of strategy. You can commit air points to ensure you keep the max 3 but they become wasted (may be on max 3 already) or not commit and the attacker then does spend some to reduce the +3 to lower. It may seem clunky but it's not really as it adds to the fun of the game I think and fairly easy to apply.

I will admit loving Afrika 2 and I think the game mechanisms are very clever in what they do for their efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
And to add, that rule reminds me, Air points are committed before Odds are calculated, which to me, means before the stacks are revealed. Remember the fog of war rule. So you usually won't know what shifts your opponent has before you commit Air. This means Air points are sometimes wasted.

You agree J.S.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resurrecting an old thread here to point something out.

The Game Specific rules in 3.0 Combat, 2nd paragraph: "maximum net shift" (emphasis added) answers your question, I think. Each side totals up their shifts, R shifts negate Left shifts until you get a NET shift. If it is greater than 3, it is reduced to 3.

At least that is the way I'm reading the rule.

So for example, with terrain, division integrity, artillery and air, an attacker manages to get 6 shifts. The defender manages to get 2. 2 shifts from 6 leaves 4 shifts to the attacker, which is reduced to the maximum of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, only the final difference is applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.