Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to order one of these poster maps soon, and I'm looking for some feedback on the different paper types that are available. I've seen some positive comments about the canvas, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense. For those who have order the paper maps, how do you feel about the matte vs. glossy finish and the quality of the different paper types?

I'm looking for a map to actually play on rather than mount for display (although that may happen too). And while I do have plexiglass available that can cover a map, my preference is not to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I got the cheapest, and it is great. I've shipped a number of maps, in that paper quality, around the world, and I believe everyone has been happy with it.

Everything I get from Zazzle I get in the cheapest, "poster" paper; and I've never been disappointed. More than adequate to my needs, even if I weren't using plexi over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the "cheapest" paper should be more than adequate for most normal play.

If you scrape the rockets along the routes as you move them or dig in with fingernails when picking up discs you'll start to see some wear, but you'd probably get that no matter which type you had.

I went with the semi-gloss for a 6'x4' copy that I keep on the wall ((it ended up being a little too big for my table), but a second copy that I use for actually playing is a 36x24 matte (which I got from Jonathan, incidentally) that I put in a $10 poster frame from Target.

One thing I did notice about the semi-gloss is that the texture of it feels like it could more easily "bleed" or smear if it got any moisture on it (even from sweaty fingers), whereas the matte is comparable to your standard movie poster and almost feels like it would hold up better long-term. (At the very least, it would be cheaper to replace later down the line.)

In either case, I highly recommend getting something to cover it while playing because it will last far longer that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Yes. I highly recommend plexiglas, or rather the commonly sold "acrylic sheeting" findable at Lowe's, etc. Best gaming purchase I've made, second only to certain games. You can never have enough plexiglas ... !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I got the cheapest, and it is great. I've shipped a number of maps, in that paper quality, around the world, and I believe everyone has been happy with it.

Everything I get from Zazzle I get in the cheapest, "poster" paper; and I've never been disappointed. More than adequate to my needs, even if I weren't using plexi over it.

I just purchased the 48x36 with the cheapest paper. I was a little worried about the quality of it, but it is excellent. I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
RogalDorn wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I just purchased the 48x36 with the cheapest paper. I was a little worried about the quality of it, but it is excellent. I'd recommend it.

Yes. I have got scores of maps from Zazzle in their least expensive paper. Every one has been sturdy and has held up fine. I wouldn't pay more for more expensive paper—I'm very happy with their poster-quality paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.