Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed this is now Friedemann Friese's 2nd highest ranked game, ranked only behind Power Grid. Wow, not bad for a solo game.

It's at #260 right now, but, the Geek rating is still ~0.6 below the Average rating, so as the dummy ratings continue to get minimized it looks like this one will continue to climb in the rankings.

A surprise hit?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
So it seems. I quite like the game, but I wouldn't consider it a strong contestant for the top 500 list let alone top 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game very much, and think it is excellent. Where it is ranked doesn't matter to me in the least; I trust my own judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Where it is ranked doesn't matter to me in the least; I trust my own judgement.

My perspective on game rankings:
It definitely doesn't affect how much I like a game I've already played. (I guess this is obvious and most people probably feel the same!)
It sometimes affects how much I want to try a game. But my quest to try the BGG Top 10, now nearly finished, has emphasized to me how little correlation there is between a game's ranking and my own rating. But at the same time, if there's a designer I really like, and a highly-ranked game of his I haven't tried, I'm more likely to push to try it (e.g. Knizia and Tigris & Euphrates, one of his few "classics" I haven't tried).

Bottom line though, rankings are more for me an academic interest of what games tend to be more popular or not.

Of course, if a game I love does well in the rankings, I'm happy for it to achieve the recognition and increased exposure, and that even more people will get to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to see the game is so well considered. I wonder what it's ranking would be when compared to other pure solo/solitaire games in the list. I can't see a way to filter by different factors except the main ones.

Rankings are interesting but can be skewed by many factors, often when based on a voting style system they depend on people bothering to vote. 70 people are fans but 1030 have voted, does that mean that 960 are indifferent? I doubt it, they obviously like the game enough to have voted high enough to raise it up to this level.

Look at the UK DVD charts, every shop has a different chart usually stacked towards the latest released and what DVDs the chain want to promote or flog the most.

It was the solo aspect of the game drew me in. There are few game clubs in my area (none that don't specialize in Warhammer/40K or M:TG) so when the kids are otherwise engaged I can always get a solo game on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the way to filter by pure solitaire...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see it get the (well deserved) recognition. While there are a few other "solo(able) deck building" games, this is the only one of its size, priceline and speed of play. I take it on business trips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

That is an impressive position, no doubt based on how well tough of the game is with it's players.

Is that done through jiggery and pokery in the ADV. SEARCH feature?

ADDITION: ah yes to answer my own question, with a header sort on B G rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

That is an impressive position, no doubt based on how well tough of the game is with it's players.

One thing that stands out to me is that you really cannot compare those games. Friday compared with Ambush or Hornet Leader? There's really no comparison other than the fact that they are all solo-only. You can probably compare other things like "lenght", "weight", "mechanics", but really several of those are entirely different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
wrrlykam wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

One thing that stands out to me is that you really cannot compare those games. Friday compared with Ambush or Hornet Leader? There's really no comparison other than the fact that they are all solo-only. You can probably compare other things like "lenght", "weight", "mechanics", but really several of those are entirely different experiences.

To mis-quote Blanche DuBois "It all depends on the kindness of strangers" voting. Still it make interesting reading and I've found a few new (to me) solitaire games to investigate from that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Bottom line though, rankings are more for me an academic interest of what games tend to be more popular or not.

I am not sure whether the rankings correlate with popularity. I would say the number of geeks that own a game is more a measure of popularity.
Ticket to Ride - 21767 owners
Twilight Struggle - 11297
I think that even if Twilight Struggle were as ubiquitous as TtR it still would not be as popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I am not sure whether the rankings correlate with popularity. I would say the number of geeks that own a game is more a measure of popularity.
I think that even if Twilight Struggle were as ubiquitous as TtR it still would not be as popular.

Hmm, I think owners vs. rankings are two different methods of measuring popularity? They are each measuring a different type of popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

This is great!

One thing though, unfortunately it leaves out games that are not "pure" solitaire but yet have a "pure solitaire" optional mode. Like Dungeon Twister 2: Prison for example, that is 2-player yet it also has the full-on solo mode with a well-developed AI and a large chunk of the game components are for solo-mode only. I wonder if there's a way to include this in a ranking or if you just have to know about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Clive65 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Hmm, I think owners vs. rankings are two different methods of measuring popularity? They are each measuring a different type of popularity.

I think if I responded with a different point of view we would just be arguing semantics...but point taken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

This is great!

One thing though, unfortunately it leaves out games that are not "pure" solitaire but yet have a "pure solitaire" optional mode. Like Dungeon Twister 2: Prison for example, that is 2-player yet it also has the full-on solo mode with a well-developed AI and a large chunk of the game components are for solo-mode only. I wonder if there's a way to include this in a ranking or if you just have to know about them.

This is due to stipulating 1 player only, the filter will handle identifying games that specify 1 or 2 by changing the radio button and selecting the appropriate numbers in the pull down tabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.