Subject: Has anyone really used the make noise action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find that my group of survivors, whether I play solo or with other people, tend to stick together in the same zone. So that zone ends up always being the zone with the largest amount of noise, since all survivor minis count as a noise tokens and thats where all the action has been going down.

Given this, I've never really used the make noise action. When I read about it sounded quite cool, but I'm sad that I've never really needed to use it. am I doing something wrong when it comes to noise? Or is it just my strategy that makes this action useless? I find when survivors split up, it spells almost certain doom for the players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that your strategy doesn't really utilize the noise mechanic. If you all stick together, the noise tokens rarely count for anything. However, you can play the game in a very different way, and then keeping track of noise tokens and making the right amount of noise can be essential. One common strategy is to have someone (preferrably with Slippery), separate from the group and make a lot of noise, attracting the zombies to one side of the board, while the other survivors are freed up to fulfill mission objectives elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
pomander wrote:
I find that my group of survivors, whether I play solo or with other people, tend to stick together in the same zone. So that zone ends up always being the zone with the largest amount of noise, since all survivor minis count as a noise tokens and thats where all the action has been going down.

Given this, I've never really used the make noise action. When I read about it sounded quite cool, but I'm sad that I've never really needed to use it. am I doing something wrong when it comes to noise? Or is it just my strategy that makes this action useless? I find when survivors split up, it spells almost certain doom for the players...

I don't use it frequently, but I have used it. Sometimes my party splits and when you are divided, this mechanic is much more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
We've used it a couple times. Generally its when a runner or something is going to get someone, so someone else makes noise to draw it away. The main problem is that it takes a lot of noise to overcome even multiple heroes. I think in general, the concept will work a lot better once we have the Loud power available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
LunarSol wrote:
We've used it a couple times. Generally its when a runner or something is going to get someone, so someone else makes noise to draw it away. The main problem is that it takes a lot of noise to overcome even multiple heroes. I think in general, the concept will work a lot better once we have the Loud power available.

The real problem is overcoming line-of sight. Sometimes you have to make noise AND wave your arms around to draw a batch of zombies in a new direction! By the way, making noise has been most beneficial to me when I'm trying to keep an abomination running in circles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something important to note is that when the zombie can see 2 survivors in different zones, he'll always go for the loudest of the two zones. So it can happen that a runner is adjacent to a survivor to his right, but there's another survivor in his LOS to the left 3 zones away. If that survivor makes more noise, the runner will ignore the adjacent survivor and waste his turn chasing the survivor which is far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:
Something important to note is that when the zombie can see 2 survivors in different zones, he'll always go for the loudest of the two zones. So it can happen that a runner is adjacent to a survivor to his right, but there's another survivor in his LOS to the left 3 zones away. If that survivor makes more noise, the runner will ignore the adjacent survivor and waste his turn chasing the survivor which is far away.

Yup, but this doesn't work so well in a building!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, that's only really possible in the streets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Loophole Master wrote:

This is the primary situation I was describing. The hard part is moving into position and having enough actions to generate enough noise to matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.