True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like another example of government to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actualy it was ash, not pages from the Koran that were found. In fact no one seems sure she did burn the Koran (or even had pages from it), apart from a few religious nutters. Also the community is 900 strong, not 1,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we speaking hypothetically now or what actually happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Looks like another example of government theocracy to me.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
quozl wrote:
Looks like another example of government theocracy to me.

FTFY.

Pakistan is not a theocracy. This is democracy in action; it's just not pluralistic democracy in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So you think God actually did this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

No, just those who claim to act in his name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Then God did not actively hurt anything.

People did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

People did.

Yes of course, but religion is the key factor here. This is an example of religion God actively hurting society. It's why I belive that religion should not be afforded special status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
God doesn't exist. So it must be the people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I think the salient point here is that these are people acting in the name of their god, in accordance with how they believe their god wishes them to act.

From their perspective, they are behaving in a way that they believe to be just and good.

How is this case of people acting in accordance with their faith bad, yet when a christian does the same it is good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

How is this case of people acting in accordance with their faith bad, yet when a christian does the same it is good?

Don't bother asking, you'll get some 'god is loving' or 'it's cultural not religious' bullcrap.

Anyway Christians kill thousands of kids every day by denying the distribution of condoms and vaccines for religious reasons. Then you get the 'They are not Christian, I am' line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

People did.

Yes of course, but religion is the key factor here. This is an example of religion God actively hurting society. It's why I belive that religion should not be afforded special status.

Is it? This seems like textbook persecution of a vulnerable minority to me. Yes, religion is a pretext, but do you really think they'd not be persecuted some other way if no religious excuse could be manufactured?

As for not giving religions special status, why should your religious views, i.e., views on religion, be afforded special consideration either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Is it? This seems like textbook persecution of a vulnerable minority to me. Yes, religion is a pretext, but do you really think they'd not be persecuted some other way if no religious excuse could be manufactured?

As for not giving religions special status, why should your religious views, i.e., views on religion, be afforded special consideration either?

I see it as textbook persecution of a vulnerable minority.

The problem is that when the persecuting society does it under the guise of religious law, they remove the ability of the society to have a reasonable debate on the subject. When your priest, preacher, mullah etc. tells you that X is a sin and our holy text demands that Y takes place, to disagree is to deny your religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

If a god is real, then that god is responsible.

However, that god may not care a bit about our issues and only care if our souls are properly prepared morsels when we die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

People did.

No I don't in this case, as it is directly related to how a religion actualy expects it's adheants to act (but an extream version nof that).

Quote:

They should not, that is my point. No philosophical or moral idea should be beyond censure and question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
whac3 wrote:

The problem is that when the persecuting society does it under the guise of religious law, they remove the ability of the society to have a reasonable debate on the subject. When your priest, preacher, mullah etc. tells you that X is a sin and our holy text demands that Y takes place, to disagree is to deny your religion.

There is an important distinction to make though. I support the right of Muslims to live by their religion; I just don't support their right to impose it on others too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
whac3 wrote:

There is an important distinction to make though. I support the right of Muslims to live by their religion; I just don't support their right to impose it on others too.

That is what I mean by no special privilege, just because your faith says X does not mean you should be allowed to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Absolutely with you on that sentiment but extend it to all religions. Unfortunately, most religions take active steps to make secular laws coincide with religious law - their religious law.

Consider the Healthcare debate in America. The anti-choice constituency wants to limit what medical options are available for institutions that are associated with their religion. Restricting rights of citizens solely because of their religious view. This is different from the linked article in the OP in terms of severity but both are an imposition of religious dogma on the greater society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Well as said earlier, and I'm talking against myself here, religion is often used as a pretext. In Northern Ireland the definition of Catholic and Protestant is more a statement of a political position than of faith.

Sometimes I think, although I would like to see religion gone, it may make little difference. I think Communism and Fascism shows if people are bigoted and intolerant they will keep being so until they are stopped.

It is extremely hard to stop while beliefs are respected as sacrosanct irrespective of their impact on society and even ingrained not only in the culture but in the political and institutional bodies.

I think we're a few hundred years from true tolerance. Try having an atheist US President. Even then it is brittle, it could all go away very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the girl is Autisitc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Apparently the girl is Autisitc.

That's a misreport apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Is it? This seems like textbook persecution of a vulnerable minority to me.

Yes, but a minority what?

A minority religion

A god didn't do it, people carried out the act, that's for sure. But what inspired them to do it?

A religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Is it? This seems like textbook persecution of a vulnerable minority to me.

Yes, but a minority what?

A minority religion

A god didn't do it, people carried out the act, that's for sure. But what inspired them to do it?

A religion.

Probably a minority tribe that differs in religion actually. Your bugaboo about religion doesn't actually make it meaningful in and of itself in the real world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this compare with flag burning in some parts of the U.S.? There are areas in our country where a majority of people would like to impose criminal sanctions for burning the flag and where it's fairly common to hear someone say (with no fear of disapproval from their community) that they would meet desecration of the flag with violence.

In both cases you have a group of people stating that a particular symbol is so important to them that desecrating it should be a crime and that they will tolerate or engage in violence against desecrators. The severity is different, and in the U.S. we have Constitutional safeguards. There's no particular minority being persecuted -- but I'm not so sure that persecution is really what's going on here because I don't think the law was created as a way to go after Christians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.