Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
...well, two, actually.

I apologize if this came up before, but I couldn't find anything in either the forum or the FAQ.

1. In a recent game, the following situation occured:
- Player 1 attacked a region with several blocks, leaving the region he attacked from empty
- Player 2 moved two block through that now empty region to act as reserve in the battle
- The rules state that "When both players enter a battle through the same border, only the last player entering may retreat via this border."

Does this mean that Player two can retreat to that (now empty) region with any block, even if it didn't move through that region but was present in the attacked region at the start of the turn? In this case, Player 1 argued that it would only be logical for the reinforcing blocks to be able to retreat that way, but this doesn't seem to be covered by the rules as written.

2. This one is more straightforward: Is it possible for blocks in a victorious group to regroup into a (friendly) region that has an unresolved battle pending, acting as reserves? Both players felt that this was probably possible, but there was some discussion.

I'd be glad for any help on these points - I really like the game but I'm not that firm when it comes to wargame rules in general and how to interpret any potential loopholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garou wrote:
Does this mean that Player two can retreat to that (now empty) region with any block, even if it didn't move through that region but was present in the attacked region at the start of the turn?

YES - as you point out, border control is the deciding issue, not the presence in the area as main defenders or reserves. Note that this would allow the defenders orignially in the area to retreat through the controlled border in round 1 of the battle even before the defender's reserves arrive in round 2.

Garou wrote:
Is it possible for blocks in a victorious group to regroup into a (friendly) region that has an unresolved battle pending, acting as reserves?

NO: "5.5 RETREATING...• .. Blocks cannot retreat to Contested or Enemy areas....5.6 REGROUPING ... All of the rules and limits of Retreating (5.5) apply to Regrouping, except Border Control."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast reply - your rule quote clued me in to the fact that my version of the rules might not have been quite up to date.. Now I'll have to check what else changed since the first edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Geddes
United Kingdom
Morayshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep, choosing the order in which battles are resolved is yet another interesting choice during gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.