Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed Thunderstone for quite some time, but have always been disappointed with the lack of risk and tension associated with dungeon delving. In the original version, as long as you have done your card calculations correctly, you are assured of monster slaying success before you even enter the dungeon. Thunderstone Advanced has addressed that by including several cards that allow you to enter the dungeon unprepared and hope to draw an extra card that will put you over the required attack value. It is better, but still not quite enough tension for us.

At a convention this summer, I overheard one attendee mention using Fudge Dice in Thunderstone to give that needed tension. Genius!!! If you are unfamiliar with Fudge Dice, they are D6 with the following faces (+,+,0,0,-,-) that are used in RPG to give a bit of random boost or penalty on a dice roll....aka a fudge factor.

We tried it last night and it was a blast.

We decided that every hero card in a dungeon party would get a Fudge Die roll. Additional cards (items, spells, villagers, weapons) do not get Fudge Die rolls. For example, a Regular and two Sternkin fighters would get three Fudge Dice regardless of any other cards they carried.

Each + would add +1 to the attack and each - would subtract 1 from the attack. A blank die roll would have no effect. The nature of the attack (Physical or Magical) would depend on the card character. If both are present then the player can choose.

This led to some attempts to tackle monsters with a less than stellar party hoping that the gods of randomness would shine upon us. Also, it led to some perfectly good gangs of dungeon explorers getting whacked due to a particular nasty collection of "-" rolls on the Fudge Dice.

Observations
1) There were far more failed dungeon attempts than usual with many monsters going to the bottom of the deck. This was due to multiple attempts at hoping for a lucky dice roll with a fairly wimpy group of hero cards. Also, a few strong groups got beat up by the dice when they would have otherwise been successful in the normal diceless game.
2) It did lead to more excitement. Stand up dice rolls, slamming of fists onto the table, cursing, whooping it up. Lots of behaviors that I don't typically associate with Thunderstone.
3) It did seem to put more incentive on acquiring hero cards than other cards. I'm not sure if that is the best strategy, but it seemed to be what our game group gravitated towards. A hand of cards with lots of heros maximizes your potential attack in the dungeon but also carries a higher risk. A smaller party leads to a bit more certainty in your attack score.

There are already a couple of other Fudge Dice variants associated with the original game.
(1) Roll a fixed number of Fudge Dice (4)for the whole party as an attack modifier.(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/556920/fudge-combat)
(2) Using a single Fudge Die for the whole party as an attack modifier whose value would change based on the level of the monster. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/670618/dice-in-the-dunge...)
(3) Using dice to randomize the light/dark penalty (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/840402/light-and-dark-di...)

If you are looking for a bit more risk, tension, luck, chaos in Thunderstone, give this a try. We really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea and will give it a try after i have gotten more plays in with unmoddified rules.

I think I will go with this idea:
(4) 1 fudge dice for every level of the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this idea. Much like the attrition dice in Rune Age.
I'd love to see this as an optional rule in a future expansion with proper dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this thread is pretty old, but how has the fudging been working out for you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still loving it.

My son and I won't play any other way. Leads to much more hooting and hollering for our forays into the dungeon.

The riskiness of it suits our preferred style of gaming. I also think that it suits this type of game as well. A trip to the land of monsters should not be a strictly mathematical exercise. I realize that several of the new cards provide that element, but we needed a bit more.

I realize that it is not for everyone, but it is fun for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave T
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to try this once I score some really cool fudge dice. The lame ones I made don't do the game justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to try this, but I wonder if it might be fun to allow the other players to pay XP to add dice to fudge roll, thus increasing the uncertainty :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be hilarious. Not only does that add a bit of risk, it also provides a bit of gambling action.

However, I don't think I would mix that in with the other fudge dice scenarios just to keep things simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at the cost of necrobumping I just wanted to say that I like this variant very much and have add the ability to re-roll a hero's fudge die at the cost of 1 xp in the dungeon. This can only be done once a turn and is considered a cypher ability (Numenera rules using colored xp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.