Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm subscribed to the Hot Deals forum. A few threads showed up helpfully labeled [iOS] and since I have no interest in such things I blocked them. But the threads continue to show up as people replied to them.

When I click Edit Block for each thread it indicates that threads and replies are blocked. So why do I still see them in my subscription? Am I misunderstanding how blocking works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falluper wrote:
I'm subscribed to the Hot Deals forum. A few threads showed up helpfully labeled [iOS] and since I have no interest in such things I blocked them. But the threads continue to show up as people replied to them.

Every thread shows precisely why you're getting it when you visit your My Geek / Subscriptions page under the "Subscription" column. It shows Game:X, Forum:Y, Thread:Z, Blog:A, etc.

That will tell you what you need to block. You may have blocked one route it's getting to you, but it's coming in another way. I might be subscribed to a forum and a user, for example.

So the main thing is to keep viewing your Subscription page until you see why it's there. If you've donated enough, you'll have the "Viewed" link, and can go back and see old read threads to see what subscription triggered them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmm. I'm still confused. Maybe some pictures will help.

Above you see some of my subscriptions. The middle, gray-striped one is there only (as far as I can tell) because I'm subscribed to Hot Deals. In the picture I've selected the dropdown arrow and you can see that I have this thread blocked since the dropdown menu offers me the option to unblock it. When I select Edit Block from that menu I come to this page:

As you can see, I have this thread and its replies blocked. This is why I don't understand why it still shows up in my subscriptions. Am I just completely misunderstanding the whole process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, have you actually clicked on the item or marked it as read? A block won't affect any post that is already in your subscription list, only future posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, I keep marking them as read and they keep showing up again with each new reply. Driving me batty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've complained about this in the past, too... when you block something (a thread/geeklist/whatever) you WILL still get a subscription notification once someone (a user) you have subscribed to replies to it, if an item you're subscribed to is posted (like a game in a geeklist), or if the reply is made in a higher level forum you're subscribed to (like BGG General, but you've only blocked 1 sub-thread inside that specific forum).

So what we really need is an "override" function that doesn't care about what you're subscribed to, regardless of what or where that might be.
If you blocked a certain game, any and all geeklist items (and geeklists) with said game should be blocked from your subscriptions, regardless of you having subscribed to those geeklists in the first place, or to users posting (in) them.
Same with threads. If you blocked a thread, you should not get any notifications about it, regardless of users you're subscribed to posting in this thread, or being subscribed to higher level forums the thread is located in.

A block should be what it is supposed to be - a complete block, no matter what.

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can see that it's your subscription to Hot Deals that's bringing it in. So that's fine. There isn't anything else, so it's not a cross sub with a user or a higher thread etc.

The content shows 4 replies and 1 thread, which does indicate that you've never ever visited it. If it was just new replies you were getting, the "1 thread" wouldn't be present.

As DaveD said, that means you've never got the initial sub cleared, so the block can't work until that's gone. You say that you're marking them read, so I assume you're clicking the "mark read" link.

My suggestion would be to click the actual blue "ios Le Havre" link instead. That should remove the current sub from your list, and the block you have in place should prevent future replies from showing up. That's how I do mine, it always works that way.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that you have a "sticky" subscription, every so often there's a bug that pops up and some threads don't remove themselves from your lists. This bug has nothing to do with blocking or not, I've had some where they wouldn't disappear no matter how many times I read the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but are you absolutely certain that you are seeing new items appear in a thread after you've blocked the thread already, and that the Block is set to block replies as well as threads? I ask because if what you are describing is happening, it is a bug, but I'm not sure why, in that case, we aren't seeing it all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dakarp wrote:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but are you absolutely certain that you are seeing new items appear in a thread after you've blocked the thread already, and that the Block is set to block replies as well as threads? I ask because if what you are describing is happening, it is a bug, but I'm not sure why, in that case, we aren't seeing it all the time.

I swear that blocked threads were still appearing in my subscriptions after I marked them as read. But I wasn't actually going to the threads, as Steve suggested I do, I was simply marking them read. Now after actually visiting the threads they don't seem to be reappearing. So maybe that's solved it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
falluper wrote:
dakarp wrote:

I swear that blocked threads were still appearing in my subscriptions after I marked them as read. But I wasn't actually going to the threads, as Steve suggested I do, I was simply marking them read. Now after actually visiting the threads they don't seem to be reappearing. So maybe that's solved it?

Marking read should work however you do it, but they do work differently internally, and it isn't out of the question that there might have been a bug. The bug I was more interested in was the possibility that NEW posts for that thread arrived in your queue after you had already blocked the thread. Do you know if you got notifications for new posts, or were they notifications for older posts that you thought you had already marked read?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked your subscription preferences? Especially check "Include in blocks (defaults)..." at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.