A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Playing my first game tomorrow. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The game is arriving tomorrow and I'm playing with 5 other players. I've been watching videos on the rules so hopefully I can quickly explain the game to my friends, but anyway...

Since we're only playing with 5 should I remove Greyjoy and add Martell and make Pyke impassable? That seems to be the consensus here on what should be done with a 5 player game.

ToB cards seem to add quite a bit of randomness to the game. Is it better off without them?

I want the game to be as fun as possible for everyone so they want to play it more (board games are expensive and if they play once and I hate it, I'm going to be bummed, lol).

Also, feel free to add anything extra to your post for a bunch of first time players like tips, strategies, etc.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember,

AGoT is a political game with a heavy layer of above board meta.
You use your military units to enforce your political aims.

If you strictly try to play it as a Army vs Army game.. good luck.

I would also leave out the ToB cards until you all get the hang of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, don't replace Greyjoy with Martell and make Pyke impassable. That makes Lannister too strong.

selwyth's fix
6er: 14 non-capital cities for 6 players, 2.3/player.
5er: Set it up as usual, but then flip Sunspear, Yronwood and Storm's End over and make them impassable. 12 castles for 5, 2.4/player. Starfall is okay since Tyrell and Baratheon fight over it.
4er: Additionally, make Highgarden, Oldtown and Starfall impassable (thus making it the 3er board). 10 for 4, 2.5/player.
3er: Play something else. If you really must, make Supply or Power the first tiebreaker instead to curb Lannister's stronghold advantage.

Tide of Battle... up to you. It actually makes the game go faster, since players worry less about the exact cards they're playing (since you might still lose with a bad draw anyway). But experienced players go without Tide of Battle, always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These might help

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/85yjqi23u3/HTP_...?

http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/AGameofThrones...

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/8zl5k7mobx/Hous...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just thought I'd let everyone know that we finally ended up playing. The game was awesome. We used your setup for 5 player Selwyth and it worked well.

While i was explaining the rules I was getting a ton of bored/confused faces. I was worried we wouldn't actually get the game underway because they would just give up on it, but they didn't give up and we finally ended up playing after a good 20-25 mins of setting up and explaining.

The first 2 or 3 turns were kind of slow, but then it suddenly clicked for them. It was an absolute blast. When everyone understood what was going on, there was tons of yelling, alliances being made/broken, etc.

It was so fun that they want to play another game this weekend already!

For anyone that cares, Tyrell won the game. I would've won (as Lannister), but Baratheon took one of my castles on the final turn and my units had to retreat. If he would've attacked Tyrell, I would've kept my castle and took over one of Baratheons for the win.

Can't wait to play next game. Also, Screw Greyjoy and their ridiculous cards, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.