Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
My gf and her brother grew up playing Gazillionaire (a space trading sim on the PC) which you can still play online at http://www.gazillionaire.com/index.php

This looks VERY similar to Gazillionaire (in both theme, camp and gameplay), and probably something I could get them to play with me once the FFG reprint hits shelves.

My question is: Are there any other commodity-trading sims with a similar theme available now, or do I have to wait for the reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Gazillionaire! My friends and I played it during lunch breaks at school for a while! That said, I've never played MOV. I'm only subbed to this forum so I can learn about the reprint. It should come out in September, so you won't have to wait long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
The three of us started a game of Gazillionaire that we never finished. We played for hours and still had fun. Seems the best strat was "buy whatever is cheapest and most plentiful". Never did figure out the whole "stock market" aspect, but it seemed there was a whole other game hidden in there if you wanted to take the time to learn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the similarities pretty much end after the words "space" and "trading".

Gazillionaire is really a very light and relatively simple game (fun too I used to play it quite a bit)

Merchants of Venus is heavier and more complex. But certainly fits the words "space" and "trading".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw MoV described as "campy" and a commodities trading game in which you can upgrade your ship, and thought that described Gazillionaire pretty well. How is it more complex? Wondering if this would be a good investment or if I should look elsewhere for my casual gaming gf and her brother (whom I am slowly converting!).

edit: Just read amazingintern's review and it sounds exactly like Gazillionaire, minus the stock market and passengers and loans to pay back, plus a few features like factories (Gaz has warehouses instead) and IOU bonuses and Asteroids (Gaz has a pretty good "random encounter" generator, however), and demand chits (Again, Gaz has a "random encounter" engine that generates sudden supply and demand fluctuations on specific planets). Honestly, Gaz seems more complex but I am confident that MoV will catch their attention. If there wasn't a reprint scheduled, I would probably be downloading the PnP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I had people to answer this question when I bought smugglers of the galaxy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.