Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran a short session with Gladiators vs Demons. One of the glads was the Heroscape guy with the net and trident, thus I gave him 'Entangle' as a special.

I read that Entangle follows the rules for the magical Transfix.

So I have a couple of queries...

Does Entangle count as an attack action?

Can a figure use Entangle whilst in HtH to simulate the use of the net, or is it purely ranged?

I have two streams of thought...

1. The glad 'throws' the net to an extent thus it is ranged.
2. the glad is in swirling HtH and uses the net as a 'cloak' to entangle the foe, thus it is HtH

Magic can't be used hand to hand, so I guess as written it is purely ranged and therefore 1. Not 2 and not 1 or 2.

All help appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Query ref Entangle
I would say that entangle does not count as an attack and can not be used while in contact with an enemy. The intention of being in contact is very clearly that the enemies are focusing on fighting each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
I would say that entangle does not count as an attack and can not be used while in contact with an enemy. The intention of being in contact is very clearly that the enemies are focusing on fighting each other.

Thanks Tim. I was specifically thinking of the Net plus Trident gladiator who uses his net IN HtH as an entangling weapon. Very focused on the opponent, as you say, but is it HtH or ranged in SoBaH?

I agree with you that as wrtten it is not an attack and is purely ranged. I just want to check the intent.

SoBaH is such a cracking game that it doesn't really matter as it's all good fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make a figure that knocks down opponents he is in hth with, give him tailslap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
If you want to make a figure that knocks down opponents he is in hth with, give him tailslap.

Thanks Tim. I think I'll stick with 'as written' and keep net = Entangle. Feels right.

It is already a scary 300pt squad of Gladiator Rebels...each one a hero in their own right...

Spartacus 80pt, 3+, C5 Leader
Nettius 80pt, 3+, C5 Entangle
Gladius 80pt, 3+, C5 Hero
Daggus 54pt, 3+, C4 Acrobat, Shooter M

294pt Warband, overdose of personalities for the epic hero appeal for my son.

I'M SPARTACUS!

(Actually, I'm usually the demons, orcs, goblins, whatever....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would stick to C3. higher combat might seem more interesting, but two figures with C5 actually can not double each other, so the results are just random as to who falls down and isn't able to get up.

Here is my gladiator band:

dimachaerus- C3 Q3, hero
2x retiarius- C3 Q3, entangle
Venator- C2 Q3, Shooter: Medium
3x gladiator- C3 Q3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Query ref Entangle on a Gladiator
timlillig wrote:
I would stick to C3. higher combat might seem more interesting, but two figures with C5 actually can not double each other, so the results are just random as to who falls down and isn't able to get up.

Here is my gladiator band:

dimachaerus- C3 Q3, hero
2x retiarius- C3 Q3, entangle
Venator- C2 Q3, Shooter: Medium
3x gladiator- C3 Q3

Hi Tim,

Looks good. More true to history vs my true to Hollywood team!

I only have 3 glads from Heroscape so needs must. I drafted in the robed assassin looking Heroscape guy with two daggers as Daggius. Looks the part.

Great set of rules. Just tonight, we've had a blast with

Vikings plus Frost Giant vs Knights
Fire Demons vs Gladiators
Wood Elves vs Ninja Assassins
Goblins vs Romans

Happy Days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.