Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Random Hajile
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
EDIT:

Unfortunately, my comments have caused a bit of a flame war, which was not my original intentions. It was a simple miscommunication. I learned a lesson. All is well. Lords of Waterdeep remains a fantastic game, and I look forward to future tournaments.
8 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
Major bummer. FWIW, I played in two different Summoner Wars tournaments and found them to be very well organized and run. The prizes were much lower scope (one free faction, set of dice, or T-shirt), but given the small size of Plaid Hat I thought it was an excellent thing to win and had a lot of fun.

Maybe WotC takes their fans for granted?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
thenobleknave wrote:
Maybe WotC takes their fans for granted?


Doubt it. I doubt it very much, but there are issues here that should be investigated.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Hajile
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I hope I didn't come off too strongly, I was trying to not just turn this into a flame war. However, the whole experience was kinda disappointing. Every other demo or tourney I participated in over the weekend was very well organized with lots of fun giveaways (some of which I luckily received) including Fantasy Flight Games, North Star Games, the 7 Wonders tourney and Ares Games. Overall, my GenCon 2012 was fantastic. I got plenty of deals from the auction including Merchants & Marauders for $30, and got to buy the Summoners Wars Master Set directly from the guy who designed it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I think you handled it quite well actually. I would have flipped one of their tables, went on a fluck enraged rant and been tossed from GenCon for good. I blood pressure went up just reading it. I hate that kind of sh%t from people.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I don't want to be negative toward GenCon, but this simply would not happen at the World Boardgaming Championships, where the tournaments are the focus of the event.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
You deserve a lot of respect and praise for the way that you handled the situation.

That is definitely not cool at all, I hope that it is investigated, and that someone reaches out to you from WotC to make things right.

The trouble with events like GenCon is that a lot of the tournament "staff" comes from volunteers and low-paid gamers who often lack social skills or just aren't provided with enough direction or supervision. I've seen other companies get a bad rap for the actions of their volunteers... but this one is surprisingly awful.

I big high five to you for being such a nice guy throughout.

J
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
Eric Brosius wrote:
I don't want to be negative toward GenCon, but this simply would not happen at the World Boardgaming Championships, where the tournaments are the focus of the event.


I completely disagree. It isn't the convention, it is the people running it. There can be poorly run WBG events just as easily as at GenCon. It is the con at GenCon running the events.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
Wotc is notorious for poorly running their events at Gen Con. Often with new games they show up drop off the box and expect the players to just figure it out themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
RandomHajile wrote:
I hope I didn't come off too strongly, I was trying to not just turn this into a flame war. However, the whole experience was kinda disappointing. Every other demo or tourney I participated in over the weekend was very well organized with lots of fun giveaways (some of which I luckily received) including Fantasy Flight Games, North Star Games, the 7 Wonders tourney and Ares Games. Overall, my GenCon 2012 was fantastic. I got plenty of deals from the auction including Merchants & Marauders for $30, and got to buy the Summoners Wars Master Set directly from the guy who designed it.


No, you're not being too negative at all.

See also here: http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/29856/332956.aspx

It should be noted that the event was run by Baldman Games, not directly by Wizards (though ultimately Wizards are responsible for their choice of event organiser). The event, from what I could track down, is listed at the wrong time here: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2012.cgi/event/... - no idea what relation that actually has to the GenCon site, though.

I've pointed a few people at Wizards in the direction of this post. Mike Mearls has indicated that he'll be contacting you at some point.

Cheers,
Merric
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Franklin
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I agree, the Wizard's events were poorly managed as well. I sat down to play Lords of Waterdeep with a family and one other guy, but the lady put Wrath of Ashardalon in front of us. No one knew how to play and we received no instruction. So we had our way with the rule book. After picking an adventure, setting it up, and beginning the campaign, the event organizer lady that annoyingly chomped on gum constantly told us to do another campaign. We were not going to set up the game again so we proceeded. All throughout the game she kept coming over and giving random instructions that had nothing to do with the task at hand.

Needless to say, we went over the allotted time slot so we got the attention of all the event staff and after beating the game, one of the event organizers said we were playing wrong the whole time... thanks a lot.

Edit: grammar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
Very sorry to hear about your experience. I would have been livid especially since you made it to the Finals. It was my first GenCon and I played in Heroscape, Ticet to Ride, and 7 Wonders tournaments. They were all very well organized and the people running the events were very helpful.

Hopefully WOTC will make it right with you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
Random Hajile:

You are perhaps the most patient person in the world. I would have lost it in this case as, like Sky Zero mentions, I got mad just reading about your experience. I commend you for your even keeled behavior in a very difficult situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
That is sucky. What time did they actually start then? 8am or something??!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne nance
msg tools
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I think the response to this while unfortunate is a fact when it comes to gaming especially at a convention. The reliance on technology to tell you when something is going to happen can be an issue. I check at the table for the tournament and verify with the judges prior to the next scheduled event. I was there for the 1st, 2nd and final round of the Lords of Waterdeep tournament and how could all other players at the table be there ready to play? You were the only one absent. How could 4 mains and 3 alternates be there at 8am unless there was some form of communication to the finalists. While I feel bad for your situation, I don't think I can completely agree that you were duped and robbed of your chance to participate. A simple check at the table would have cleared your issue prior to the finals. The finalist list was posted clearly with the time. And it was discussed at the semi finals. How else would we have known about the finals times? I recall when you arrived at the table and I feel bad for the situation and the comment was poorly worded by one of the participants in the final round, but it really is your responsibility to check the times and verify. While I cannot attest to the judge who sighed in your general direction after eating his dinner, I think you could cut them a little slack, since they work the whole convention with little down time. I hope you understand that when I read this that somehow you "expect" to be rewarded for your tardiness.

The Lord of Waterdeep
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Hajile
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
I'm honestly not expecting to be rewarded. I just was bummed by the whole experience. I had probably 20 different events, seminars, demos to try to keep track of and attend, so perhaps I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have. I mainly went by my physical tickets that were given to me by GenCon when I arrived. I used my iPhone as a last resort because we weren't given a physical ticket for the Final, only for the entry round. It was late on Saturday night, and I wanted to double-check when the final was.

I knew I was a finalist because I won the semi-final round, and had no reason to look for a list of finalists and alternates. Perhaps I am new to convention protocols. I will make an attempt in the future to double check all times with the game judges, especially if they don't jive with the advertised times.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
wwnance wrote:
I think the response to this while unfortunate is a fact when it comes to gaming especially at a convention. The reliance on technology to tell you when something is going to happen can be an issue. I check at the table for the tournament and verify with the judges prior to the next scheduled event. I was there for the 1st, 2nd and final round of the Lords of Waterdeep tournament and how could all other players at the table be there ready to play? You were the only one absent. How could 4 mains and 3 alternates be there at 8am unless there was some form of communication to the finalists. While I feel bad for your situation, I don't think I can completely agree that you were duped and robbed of your chance to participate. A simple check at the table would have cleared your issue prior to the finals. The finalist list was posted clearly with the time. And it was discussed at the semi finals. How else would we have known about the finals times? I recall when you arrived at the table and I feel bad for the situation and the comment was poorly worded by one of the participants in the final round, but it really is your responsibility to check the times and verify. While I cannot attest to the judge who sighed in your general direction after eating his dinner, I think you could cut them a little slack, since they work the whole convention with little down time. I hope you understand that when I read this that somehow you "expect" to be rewarded for your tardiness.

The Lord of Waterdeep


I guess the discussion has to end here, the Lord of Waterdeep has chimed in.











Seriously though, you actually signed your post with that on a thread describing the OPs predicament. Kind of a dick move.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My GenCon 2012 Lords of Waterdeep Tournament experience - Look out!
willythesnitch wrote:
wwnance wrote:
I think the response to this while unfortunate is a fact when it comes to gaming especially at a convention. The reliance on technology to tell you when something is going to happen can be an issue. I check at the table for the tournament and verify with the judges prior to the next scheduled event. I was there for the 1st, 2nd and final round of the Lords of Waterdeep tournament and how could all other players at the table be there ready to play? You were the only one absent. How could 4 mains and 3 alternates be there at 8am unless there was some form of communication to the finalists. While I feel bad for your situation, I don't think I can completely agree that you were duped and robbed of your chance to participate. A simple check at the table would have cleared your issue prior to the finals. The finalist list was posted clearly with the time. And it was discussed at the semi finals. How else would we have known about the finals times? I recall when you arrived at the table and I feel bad for the situation and the comment was poorly worded by one of the participants in the final round, but it really is your responsibility to check the times and verify. While I cannot attest to the judge who sighed in your general direction after eating his dinner, I think you could cut them a little slack, since they work the whole convention with little down time. I hope you understand that when I read this that somehow you "expect" to be rewarded for your tardiness.

The Lord of Waterdeep


I guess the discussion has to end here, the Lord of Waterdeep has chimed in.











Seriously though, you actually signed your post with that on a thread describing the OPs predicament. Kind of a dick move.


No, it's not. It's not kind of at all. It is.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize to Wayne for the final two posts. They weren't necessary at all and didn't forward the discussion at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I apologize to Wayne for the final two posts. They weren't necessary at all and didn't forward the discussion at all.


Why apologize to him? His comment was fine, everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it was totally unnecessary to rub the fact that he did play in the final in the OP's face. The fact that his comment has garnered a big zero thumbs seems to support my view.

Now, seen as the OP has, for some reason, edited his post because he seems to believe that a flame war has broken out (although this may be the mildest "flame war" ever) I feel the need to apologize to him for responding to Wayne's post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
rickert wrote:
I apologize to Wayne for the final two posts. They weren't necessary at all and didn't forward the discussion at all.


Why apologize to him? His comment was fine, everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it was totally unnecessary to rub the fact that he did play in the final in the OP's face. The fact that his comment has garnered a big zero thumbs seems to support my view.

Now, seen as the OP has, for some reason, edited his post because he seems to believe that a flame war has broken out (although this may be the mildest "flame war" ever) I feel the need to apologize to him for responding to Wayne's post.


If you don't think that apologies are needed when two people call another a "dick" then I don't know how to explain that too you. Wayne was offering a point of view that hadn't been expressed and I could care less how he signed the post and I think it was proper of him to point out his position as it made his view more important, at least to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:
rickert wrote:
I apologize to Wayne for the final two posts. They weren't necessary at all and didn't forward the discussion at all.


Why apologize to him? His comment was fine, everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it was totally unnecessary to rub the fact that he did play in the final in the OP's face. The fact that his comment has garnered a big zero thumbs seems to support my view.

Now, seen as the OP has, for some reason, edited his post because he seems to believe that a flame war has broken out (although this may be the mildest "flame war" ever) I feel the need to apologize to him for responding to Wayne's post.


If you don't think that apologies are needed when two people call another a "dick" then I don't know how to explain that too you. Wayne was offering a point of view that hadn't been expressed and I could care less how he signed the post and I think it was proper of him to point out his position as it made his view more important, at least to me.

And yet it is still a dick move.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:
rickert wrote:
I apologize to Wayne for the final two posts. They weren't necessary at all and didn't forward the discussion at all.


Why apologize to him? His comment was fine, everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it was totally unnecessary to rub the fact that he did play in the final in the OP's face. The fact that his comment has garnered a big zero thumbs seems to support my view.

Now, seen as the OP has, for some reason, edited his post because he seems to believe that a flame war has broken out (although this may be the mildest "flame war" ever) I feel the need to apologize to him for responding to Wayne's post.


If you don't think that apologies are needed when two people call another a "dick" then I don't know how to explain that too you. Wayne was offering a point of view that hadn't been expressed and I could care less how he signed the post and I think it was proper of him to point out his position as it made his view more important, at least to me.


As I try to teach my kids, it's not always what you say, but how you say it that matters. I agree that he has a point, and I am sure that the OP wishes he had checked the times better, but his sign off is the equivalent of sticking his thumbs in his ears, wiggling his fingers and saying hyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps. But what is he signs all of his posts that way no in every LOTD thread? Couldn't that be pride? I'd be proud if I won.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Perhaps. But what is he signs all of his posts that way no in every LOTD thread? Couldn't that be pride? I'd be proud if I won.


That seems to be his only post.

Was he even the winner?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.