Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the Vials my dad turned out for Pandemic.

The Vials (including purple for on the brink)

The container

Red/Orange vial on the board

The vials and vial storage container are machined from clear acrylic. The vial caps are machined aluminum, bonded permanently to the vials. Liquid in the vials is water with food coloring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be willing to share where you got your materials from, and the steps you took?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, but to be honest they look like regular contact lens containers to me. For others who want to attempt this: Maybe ask around your town for a optometrist or ophtalmologist who sells them first, you could get these rather cheap... Normally, when you get a hard CL, a test is done if the lens has the right parameters. The test lenses have to cleaned and autoclaved afterwards to be used on the next patient. So if you find a shop with its own autoclave they most certainly have the rest of the equipment (vials, caps and tools) so that you can get you colored water inside. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, and you can get your water purified so that there is no growing of germs and stuff inside...
Just my 2 cents, but anyway a great project!!
Flashhawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashhawk wrote:
and you can get your water purified so that there is no growing of germs and stuff inside...

Or you can use alcohol, like in the set I bought.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74153594/pandemic-on-the-brink-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I love 'em. Nice work your dad did.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The circle on top of the vials is a nice touch. At least in the pics, it gives them the impression of having that membrane where you can poke a syringe through to extract the fluid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or talk to a nurse in a nursing home to give you empty insulin bottles and fill em up with colored liquid and remove the tags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
The circle on top of the vials is a nice touch. At least in the pics, it gives them the impression of having that membrane where you can poke a syringe through to extract the fluid.

Yeah, That is exactly what we were going for. Thanks for noticing and commenting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All materials are available from any hardware store: clear acrylic (plexiglass), plexiglass adhesive, aluminum stock, epoxy, tap & die. This was done on a lathe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Robin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
thanks for buying my vials on Etsy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sarahb
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've machined some acrylic in my day, and I have to say that's LOVELY. Very nice work, and the case is just icing on the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
32708fl wrote:
thanks for buying my vials on Etsy!

They look similar, but are not the same. I actually never even saw them until after I made them. Note the rubber "plunger" area is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sarbet wrote:
I've machined some acrylic in my day, and I have to say that's LOVELY. Very nice work, and the case is just icing on the top.

Thanks, yeah, the case actually came about as a friend was worried that the vials would leak (they wont!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.