Subject: Thinking of Ordering this game..but? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I just came across this game and had a couple questions..Your choosing 1 character against another character. Game ends when a character dies..Are there different arenas to choose from..How are the rules? I would be playing with a 13 year old. Any place to find the best review and understanding of how this game plays..Thanks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the reveiw that turned me onto the game - I had never heard of it until I read it - and I quickly went from poking around at the PnP files to just going ahead and buying the full game. I have been very impressed.

You appear to have a grasp of the basic shape of the game, and I don't see any reason why a 13-year-old would have any problem learning / playing. Rules are clean and interesting, with no hidden information, no luck of the draw, but often surprising outcomes each "beat".

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with arenas, but they are optional. They add an extra rule to increase variety, although this is not really necessary, as the game has a ton of replayability anyway. I haven't even started using them, and I've played over 60 games. They are intended to change things up a bit, like giving all attacks +1 range, or allowing people to fall off of the arena for damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Okay so I just came across this game and had a couple questions..Your choosing 1 character against another character. Game ends when a character dies..
Those don't appear to be questions, but they do accurately describe the game. Note that the game ends after 15 rounds, even if no character has died, so it's possible to have ties.
Quote:
Are there different arenas to choose from..

Yes, but I would recommend learning the basics of the game before attempting to use the Arenas. They alter how the game works and force you to change your tactics and adapt, which is fun, but not the best way to learn the game.
Quote:
How are the rules?
Fantastic. Although the rules for Special Actions are a little bit buried in the Variants section, which may not have been the best choice, I think.
Quote:
I would be playing with a 13 year old.
Cool! I'm sure he or she will enjoy the game.
Quote:
Any place to find the best review and understanding of how this game plays..

There are plenty of good reviews.

You can find plenty of info about the game at http://www.battleconnection.com/, including a comic strip that explains the rules of the game and a free print-and-play version of the game that includes four of the characters, in case you want to try the game before purchasing it.

Quote:
Thanks..

You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Okay so I just came across this game and had a couple questions..Your choosing 1 character against another character. Game ends when a character dies..Are there different arenas to choose from..How are the rules? I would be playing with a 13 year old. Any place to find the best review and understanding of how this game plays..Thanks..

There is different arenas yes, but honestly the matchups are so wildly different that I've never felt the need to add in environmental effects.

The rules are alright. I find there are a couple weird parts that aren't covered as well as they could be, along with a few places where info could definitely be better. I've compiled an FAQ on BGG in the forum that should have the majority of the questions that have come up. Biggest thing, if something seems confusing just ask.

Be careful when you first start out though, as certain matchups can be -really- hard for one side until they figure out what they need to be doing. I found that changing out characters for the first few games helped me understand the core strategy of the game far better, and also let me find characters I liked a lot more.

It's a great game, but the entry period can be a little rough. Get the rules down and figure out basic strategy and it will not disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
This has probably been the most enjoyable game i have purchased in a long while, and it has hands down gotten the most play time of any game i have purchased in the last 6 months. Most of the other posts here have already hit the questions about where to go review it, i just wanted to add in how fun this game has been. If you have a 13 year old that likes the street fighter-ish video games they should love this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.