Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can you advance unrezzed ICE cards? Like Hadrian's Wall, Ice Wall, and Shadow?
2. Is anyone with a copy from GenCon going to be at Gateway 2012 (Strategicon) at on LAX Labor Day weekend? I'd really love to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ...And another two questions...
I can answer the first question for you.

Yes, you can advance unrezzed ice if the ice itself says that you can advance it. Obviously by doing so this lets the Runner know that the ice you are advancing is advanceable, so you're giving some information away in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
I can answer the first question for you.

Yes, you can advance unrezzed ice if the ice itself says that you can advance it. Obviously by doing so this lets the Runner know that the ice you are advancing is advanceable, so you're giving some information away in the process.
Of course, giving away information could always play into the psychology of discouragement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A suggestion:

Rather than a vague subject like "Two Questions", please change the subject to something more descriptive, like "Advancing unrezzed ICE" That makes it easier for others who might have the same question to find the answer without having to post another thread and make the Rules forum that much more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lam
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be at Strategicon but I'll be at Socal Smackdown at the end of September. Also I'm in the Pasadena area so I'm up for teaching Netrunner at Game Empire Pasadena on weekends that I'm free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can advance cards even if they have nothing that takes advantage of being advanced. In other words, you could advance an ice to e.g. bluff a Hadrian's wall, when it's actually something else altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can advance cards even if they have nothing that takes advantage of being advanced. In other words, you could advance an ice to e.g. bluff a Hadrian's wall, when it's actually something else altogether.

No, this is not correct. You can only advance items that are advanceable.

From the rules:

Glossery wrote:
Advancing: The act of putting one
advancement token on a card that can
be advanced.
Agendas can always be
advanced.

Quote:
Advancing a Card
... the Corporation adds one advancement token
to an installed card. Agendas can always be advanced while
installed. Cards other than agendas can only be advanced if
their text box allows it. There is no limit to the number of times
a card can be advanced.

Note: If a card’s text box says that the card can be advanced, the
card can be advanced even when the card is unrezzed.

Page 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

No you cannot. Doing so would create an illegal game state and would result in a DQ in a tournament or official game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
Asmor wrote:

No you cannot. Doing so would create an illegal game state and would result in a DQ in a tournament or official game.

I'll own up to doing this accidentally in my first game during the tournament (was attempting to install and advance a Priority Requisition, grabbed a grey card with a 5 on it from my hand, realized during the opponent's next turn that I had installed and advanced a Hedge Fund.) My opponent and the judges were very nice about it and let me swap it for the proper card from my hand, but I wouldn't have been surprised to be given a game loss (and doing it intentionally would definitely be another matter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.