Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up last game. Overlord played Frenzy on an Air Elemental, and wanted to use the Fire ability ("Perform an attack targeting all figures adjacent to this monster. Each figure rolls defense dice separately."). He did his first action fine. Now, the Frenzy card states, "Play this card when activating a monster during your turn. That monster may perform an additional attack action this turn in addition to its normal 2 actions." The Frenzy card specifically states Attack action, not an action that can attack.

So, can the Fire Elemental while Frenzied perform the Fire action twice? Or can it perform it once and then perform a 'regular' attack (Blue+Red in Act I)?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only reason the Fire Elemental cannot use Fire twice is because it counts as an attack, Frenzied gives it a second attack so I would say the Elemental could use Fire twice when Frenzied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The Elemental's Fire action is a "monster action" and not an "attack action" as mentioned on Frenzy.

Frenzy wrote:
Play this card when activating a monster during your turn. That monster may perform an additional attack action this turn in addition to its normal 2 actions.

So you play your "normal 2 actions", say Fire (Monster Action that counts as your 1 attack) and Move. Frenzy also lets you play an additional attack action. It must be an attack action, not a monster action.

D2e rules wrote:
Monsters may perform the following actions, which are similar to the hero actions (see “Hero Turn in Detail” on page 8):
Move: The monster moves a number of spaces up to its Speed (see “Move” on page 8).
Attack: The monster attacks a hero (see “Attack” on page 9). Unlike heroes, a monster can attack only once during its activation.
Monster Action: Some monsters have unique actions listed on their Monster card with a �. If any special action allows the monster to perform an attack, it counts as the monster’s one attack action for that activation.
Open or Close a Door: The monster opens or closes one adjacent door (see “Open or Close a Door” on page 10).
Special: Different cards or quests may provide monsters with unique actions to perform. These actions are either clearly stated “as an action” or noted with a �.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm with Slacks.
Frenzy should allow you to use any action which would normally not be allowed due to the 1 attack per turn only rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm with Terah, because he quoted the rules and used them to make a sound argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We had the same issue, and played it Terah's way : Frenzy allows an "attack" action, and not "any" monster action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you instead of movement action do 2 Monster Actions?

Example Use the Ettin Monster Ability Throw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
fitsou wrote:
Can you instead of movement action do 2 Monster Actions?

Example Use the Ettin Monster Ability Throw?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frenzy only allows an attack action, it can't be used with a monster action.

Also stated in the rules book, you can use both of a monsters action points on actions as long both actions do make an attack.

The only instance this would be changed is if the monster has the ravage ability, which allows a monster to use both actions to attack (Chimeras, Beast Men, Wendigos, and (I think) Blood Apes have this ability)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The reasoning is that the monster has two limitations on what it can do on a turn:
2 actions
1 attack

Frenzy makes this:
3 actions
2 attacks

Each time an Elemental uses "Fire" it uses up an action and an attack, after playing "Frenzied" the Elemental now has enough attacks and actions to us its ability twice.

IMO the last part of the sentence which says "in addition to its normal 2 actions." is a clarification and not a restriction. I think the intention here was to clarify that you are gaining an action and an attack rather than just the ability to make two attacks.

I can see your interpretation, I just don't agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also with slacks. You either count the monster action as an attack action, or you don't. You don't count it as an attack action for the purpose of limiting attack actions but then not count it as an attack action for other purposes. In this case, the rules state that it counts as an attack action:

"If any special action allows the monster to perform an attack, it counts as the monster’s one attack action for that activation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but the main reason our group is wondering is because A) the wording says "attack" not "action that includes an attack" and B) actions that include attacks tend to do a lot more than just attack, making Frenzy even stronger than it is.

So, going by RAW, I'm inclined to think the Frenzy would not allow an action that include, though I'm not sure if that was the intention (hence the question). Guess we'll just have to decide as a group and wait until it's FAQed.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to say that it's only an attack action, not "any action that lets you attack". The wording is pretty specific, and the rulebook doesn't say anything about those abilities being "attack actions", just "actions that involve making an attack".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.