Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games, a Large Monster is typically used to plug up holes. When we have the Crossbow, we can use it to push monsters around. Our overlord was very frustrated when we easily shoved his massive dragon out of the way with one tiny bolt. According to RAW, that's perfectly legal. However, it felt... odd.

Anyone else experience this 'gamey' effect?

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seem really weird. Also isn't it the consensus that when moving large monsters in that way the hero gets to decide which square it "shrinks" to and then where it expands again? Hence it could actually push large monsters farther than small ones, and really big ones like Dragons furthest of all?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Baumeister
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
In our current game, I am using and abusing that to its utmost effect.

It is really crazy powerful. Probably too much so.

We have agreed that after this play through that it is a "push" and not a "move" (I have been using it to pull monsters into melee range for our party).

As far as the nature of HOW the creature moves, I'll leave that up to errata to fix. The card says "move" and the rules dictate how large creatures move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubberchrist wrote:
In our current game, I am using and abusing that to its utmost effect.

It is really crazy powerful. Probably too much so.

We have agreed that after this play through that it is a "push" and not a "move" (I have been using it to pull monsters into melee range for our party).

As far as the nature of HOW the creature moves, I'll leave that up to errata to fix. The card says "move" and the rules dictate how large creatures move.


Lol. Man, this game is never ending fodder for questions and house rules. Goodness. I wondered about moving the monster "forward" but that really seems crazy - I guess thematically you have a magic bolt that ....well... Does that. Is that really the current standing opinion on the crossbow?

I suppose with large monsters, you can choose which square "shrinks", move, and choose how it "expands"? That seems quite powerful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
You wouldn't jump if a person shot a crossbow into your face?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Baumeister
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
dustwhit wrote:

Lol. Man, this game is never ending fodder for questions and house rules. Goodness. I wondered about moving the monster "forward" but that really seems crazy - I guess thematically you have a magic bolt that ....well... Does that. Is that really the current standing opinion on the crossbow?

I suppose with large monsters, you can choose which square "shrinks", move, and choose how it "expands"? That seems quite powerful.


Per strict rules interpretation, the crossbow says only "moves 1 space" it says nothing at all about direction.

You shot the giant in the knee and he stumbled 10 feet forward. Now his adventuring days are done!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubberchrist wrote:
Per strict rules interpretation, the crossbow says only "moves 1 space" it says nothing at all about direction.

You shot the giant in the knee and he stumbled 10 feet forward. Now his adventuring days are done!


thumbsdown for old, unfunny meme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's magic crossbow
Also we play that it just move 1 space, not shrink.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of people have various house-rules for the crossbow, but I can see nothing according to RAW that doesn't make pushing\pulling\moving sideways, etc. legal and since it is "Movement" that means that the large monsters shrinks and then expands. Hence you can pull them to you with a crossbow and the crossbow moves the Dragon farther than the Kobold....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
maybe to keep it from getting out of control...wouldn't movement need to be from the space that was targeted? not just any space you choose?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
maybe to keep it from getting out of control...wouldn't movement need to be from the space that was targeted? not just any space you choose?


Good point, but the same result no? The heros would be shooting at the square they would ultimately like to move, that is, unless, it is not in LOS at the time, and than I suppose they would be limited. I guess that is your point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
You wouldn't jump if a person shot a crossbow into your face?
I would drop dead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Goodness. I wondered about moving the monster "forward" but that really seems crazy - I guess thematically you have a magic bolt that ....

Rope + crossbow bolt = yo-yo monster.

I can't say I mind having another option that makes the game a little more interesting than "OL sticks big monster in hole, heroes try to batter their way through".

We have found the crossbow very useful - last game Jain passed on the level 2 bow in favor of sticking with the crossbow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fox
msg tools
mb
It also technically doesn't say "If this attack deals at least one heart, then move the target one space", so it could be argued that any shot with the crossbow that does not roll an X can move the targeted monster 1 space. Super gamey.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
dexcisco wrote:
It also technically doesn't say "If this attack deals at least one heart, then move the target one space", so it could be argued that any shot with the crossbow that does not roll an X can move the targeted monster 1 space. Super gamey.


Huh?

Only condition cards require damage be dealt. Crossbow requires a surge, but if you have a surge, you don't need to deal damage. That's not "technically", that's a basic rule that applies across the board in a hundred different cases.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amoshias wrote:
dexcisco wrote:
It also technically doesn't say "If this attack deals at least one heart, then move the target one space", so it could be argued that any shot with the crossbow that does not roll an X can move the targeted monster 1 space. Super gamey.


Huh?

Only condition cards require damage be dealt. Crossbow requires a surge, but if you have a surge, you don't need to deal damage. That's not "technically", that's a basic rule that applies across the board in a hundred different cases.


Also it needs sufficient range. It's not just the X preventing the effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Can the move action take place before calculating range? Then I can 'pull' the target into range, then apply damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.