Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Gillis II
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hey all,

OK so new guy here posting again...

ANOTHER thanks for helping me identify Shadowlord! - I have a copy speeding its way to me as I type!
(Not that I have anyone to play games with anymore, but I'm hoping to remedy that situation...)

I am hesitant to ask this, but is there any 'real' information people post on here?
I saw the recent post about "what I really do" which was a little misleading, though funny.

The thing is, I have been a member of only a few other forums (and this one is a bit puzzling to me) but there were "Know Your Allies" threads often started and typically only demonstrated by the OP.
I guess in the one I was most involved with, people somehow reveled in their anonymity, though the community was rather small.
I don't know what people had against others knowing 'real' things about them, but maybe when your username is "sexyprincessanna" you don't really want people to find out your name is Mitchell and you are a 48 year old overweight unemployed building contractor or whatever...

Like I mentioned above, I'd like to remedy the situation of not having anyone to play games with anymore.
I haven't explored the section on here too much, but I'd like to know if anybody has had any success finding people to play with, and good/bad experiences.
I don't know what S.O.P. is generally like for this kind of thing, but
I'd sure like to know a bit more about people before meeting up...

My gaming has been more RPG stuff, though 'back in the day' we had a nice size group of regulars and some stragglers and one guy in particular who used to bring around new games on a regular basis, so we'd go between RPG's and someone would drop in with Talisman, Feudal, Shogun, Mutant Chronicles, or something else along those lines.

My own online experiences with real people haven't been so good, but I hate to wrap them all up in the 'you get what you pay for' category.
All I have to compare it to has been my search for other musicians on Craigslist, which has boiled down to either that people are REALLY bored, like the IDEA of being in a band but don't want to put in the work/effort/time required to BE in said band, or are just talking a bunch of Sh!t and can't actually play...
Back when it cost $20 to post an ad in a local paper, at least you knew the person was at LEAST "twenty dollars serious" about wanting to play, but when it's free, ANY joker can post. Sure, I play a MEAN bassoon!
(There! It's on the Internet! It MUST be true!!!)

I can only hope my other exploits regarding this site are as good as my first experience.

At any rate, thanks for reading, I hope to hear some good experiences regarding finding people to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: "Know Your Allies...JUST don't rely on any!"
Hoi & welcome to BGG, so "flesh out" your profile here with stuff you wanted to get into. Many another richer person can help you much more than 'moi' could as regarded , and just have FUN!

#####################################################################################################

Æ~OICU812
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. A new guy stumbles in, unsure about how things work here and the first to greet him GROBnads...

Welcome to BGG!

First about personal stuff. That greatly depends on the person and the forum part you're hanging out in. Up here in the Gaming Related sections thing stay - well - gaming related. There's the occasional personal note in situations like yours when but things generally only go as far as they pertain to the topic at hand.

Further down in the forum list you'll find the "Everything Else" category with "Chit Chat" and - if you're very brave - RSP. You'll often find pretty personal stuff in Chit Chat: people talking about health issues, loosing weight, getting a baby, getting married (not necessarily in that order). If you enjoy a personal touch in a community you should read "Chit Chat".

If you enjoy political and religious arguing, trolling and flame wars head down to RSP. whistle

As for finding people to play games with, that's certainly doable... I'd say comparing that with finding musicians for a band doesn't quite work. It is not quite the same commitment. You don't need people to have skills, practice at home, or be there for a concert. It's much more laid back. As long as they enjoy similar games, behave and show up from time to time you're set.

As for actually finding folks: there are the regional forums here on BGG, Game stores, various internet portals like meetup, libraries, churches or other communities that offer activities.

Have fun and good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: "Know Your Allies..." SELECT *wisenheimer* FTW!
surprise ~"Yeah, well, I'm NO 'doorknob', either!" So, W-H-O-M shall you "listen to"? Somebody that has given you a 'tip' from his meager largess, or the 'cheaper so & so' that has around 150-times as much more of such overall, and yet, seemingly can't spare ONE or more of them from his overflowing 'coffers'?

C-H-O-O-S-E on that 'aspect' for a while then, or you can JUST kiss-OFF upon MEIN...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure we understand each other. I didn't mean to speak ill of you. I just meant that you're a much more - how shall I put it? - colorful personality than most folks here. Around 150 times as colorful. If you set the expectations, that makes it hard for the rest of us to live up to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
*Wiles* it would appear that 'moi' couldn't "guilt you" into a sizable 'tip' for these 'noobs', so, how about JUST give that to him already! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome

Here are game clubs in the US - you can chat or snoop before taking the plunge.
http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/category/group/United+States

Here is a way of finding local users:
http://boardgamegeek.com/users.php

Finally here is a link to the:
Every-Gamer BGG Guides

As for giving out private information some folks'll tell you everything with pictures and see you on Thursday for game nigh. Others, like myself, tend to want to be more anonymous; generally due to work, commercial or other privacy reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.