Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bits [+] [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know where to get some good space themed play mats for this game? I tried Hotz Artworks but they never emailed me back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
Anyone know where to get some good space themed play mats for this game? I tried Hotz Artworks but they never emailed me back.

You can buy some felt cheap at a fabric store and flick a dry brush with white paint at it. You might also be able to get space themed fabric.

FFG is supposed to put up the file for the space graphic paper they used at GenCon. You can print it out at Kinko's or some other place with a plotter since it is 3'x3'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
FFG is supposed to put up the file for the space graphic paper they used at GenCon. You can print it out at Kinko's or some other place with a plotter since it is 3'x3'

Ohhh, that would be awesome. There was a crack when I was around the demo tables on Friday asking when they were going to start selling the table covers they used to demo the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be great if FFG did that.

Honestly the Hotz Mats look awesome but if the guy isn't going to write me back then I'm not blind ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
That would be great if FFG did that.

Honestly the Hotz Mats look awesome but if the guy isn't going to write me back then I'm not blind ordering.

I've got a mat from Hotz, and it's great.

I have nothing against making your own, but if your budget can handle it I'd give Hotz another try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered fron Holts Mats before and they do good work but it is a pain to get in tough with them and it does take awhile to get your order. I have been waiting since May for a small river felt set.

Now if you go to Walmart in the fabric section you can get a nice size Space fabric for about $6. I used that for my Star Wars Miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already a number of threads on this topic with a lot of info on possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
There are already a number of threads on this topic with a lot of info on possibilities.

So instead of providing some links you decided to take the time to point that out. Nice.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what my map looks like:

The grid lines I drew on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on the Star Wars Pocketmodels forum there are some sool space mats that might work

hold on, I'll look for the link

edit -- ok, some may have the zones on them, but I'm sure if you sent the designers some messages, they could send you a file without it
enjoy!

http://www.swpocketmodels.com/mats.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hotz Mat guys are peculiar - it seems that every time you write them, they move your project to the very back of their queue and it'll take longer until you get it the more impatient you are.

I heard before my order that if you just place the order and then patiently wait, you'll have your mat within two to four months (which is a while). I did exactly that, ordered on May 21st, and got the mat in perfect quality as expected two weeks ago.

I think they're grognards doing this in their bat cave or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a 3' x 3' mat coming from both Monday Knight Productions & Hotz, so i'll be sure to post some kind of review for both and how well they work for Xwing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be using my Battleship Galaxies star boards for X-Wing, seeing as it almost never gets to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday Knight Productions do some nice ones:

http://www.mondayknight.com/Index-Mats.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:

So instead of providing some links you decided to take the time to point that out. Nice.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9880675#9880675

Lots of interesting ideas on the web, too, whether you are looking to DiY or buy...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556039134UeggEr

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/417539/star-wars-death-star

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684476/playing-surface

http://corseceng.com/fabric-mats/blue-stars/

http://www.star-ranger.com/OtherProducts.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Horrid Beast wrote:
FF would be crazy not to release play mats themselves. Even the Death Star fit out at GenCon would be purchased by many of us...

I want to say that with their partnership with Hasbro and Lucas, they aren't allowed to do "board" games. That is reserved for Hasbro. So they can do miniatures, card games, and RPGs. Since this is a "miniatures" game, it does not come with a board and FFG will probably not sell an "X-Wing board" (mat or otherwise).

(Unless I am getting this mixed up with their partnership with Games Workshop where they can do anything but miniature games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You will need...

Black king size bed sheet.
Wooden BBQ skewers.
Small pots of white paint.

Spread out the entire sheet on a large HARD flat surface.

Use both ends of the skewer to dip and place tiny white dots on the black sheet surface.

Dip the ends very often keeping them wet.

The "pointed" end of the skewer will make very small dots.

The "flat" non sharp end will make larger dots.

Mix them in patterns and clusters, plus placing lone stars here and there far apart.

Try and stay completely random.

Get your friends to help, make an afternoon of it, a "universe party" with Star Wars playing in the background.

You will be surprised just how quickly you new universe sheet will take shape.

Myself and two other guys using this method once created a king sized universe sheet in just ONE playing of the original film.

On a pure black bed sheet any errors made can easily concealed with a black marker, keep one handy but WAIT until the offending star is dry!

Once created, a sheet like this is easy to transport and store and you will have great memories of the day you and your friends created the entire universe.

Nothing like a "project" to bring the men folk together, its the game geek equivalent of an Ahmish barn raising

Hope this helps.

May the force be with you my Geek brothers and sisters...

Casper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
The Hotz Mat guys are peculiar - it seems that every time you write them, they move your project to the very back of their queue and it'll take longer until you get it the more impatient you are.

I heard before my order that if you just place the order and then patiently wait, you'll have your mat within two to four months (which is a while). I did exactly that, ordered on May 21st, and got the mat in perfect quality as expected two weeks ago.

I think they're grognards doing this in their bat cave or something.

Thanks for the info to never buy from them. There's no excuse for customer service like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:

Do you know how long the turn around time is. After hearing the Hotz guys take months I am not inclined to blind order from anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they do take months, but what you get from them is top notch. I can't tell from playing experience, but it does look great. I'll make a picture of soon-ish.

I did order in May because I hoped that they'd have shipped by the time X-Wing would be released, and they did, so I'm happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
jakecarol wrote:

Do you know how long the turn around time is. After hearing the Hotz guys take months I am not inclined to blind order from anyone.

I've ordered from MKP a couple of times and turn around was within a week or two. The Warstore also carries some of their mats and can tell you what they have in stock, and ships quickly if it is in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:

Not off the top of my head, but I've ordered a few of them from them (two Space and one Mars) and it takes a LONG time. Worth it, but it takes a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also ordered from Monday Knight a couple weeks ago and got my mat today, I will say I'm not 100% happy with the coloration on it. It has a LOT of red and yellow in it that didn't come through in the pictures on their site. Makes it seem less spacey somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not real hard to check previous threads on this topic. But glad for the update, again. Still would like a wings of war type mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
Still would like a wings of war type mat.
Hear hear! Lets scramble some X wings to fill the skies over WW2 london and give jerry what for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.