Subject: Close Encounters Preview #8 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ground Combat Part 1

From the very beginning we a few key goals for ground combat.

1. We wanted it to be varied and interesting with decisions to be made about different troops.

This led us to having a large number of different troop types - each with different abilities. There are five:

Militia - You don't purchase these. These are awarded and represent the defenses on a planet. While not very good, they mean that someone can't take over a planet with just one unit. When a planet is invaded, the colony gets one militia unit for every CP it would produce. A 5 CP colony would be awarded 5 Militia units.

Infantry - This is what you can build at the start of the game. If you are planning an attack, these are okay, but not what I would recommend bringing.

Space Marines - After you research Ground Combat 2, you can start producing these guys. They are better on the attack (C6) than on the defense (D5).

Heavy Infantry - These also can be produced after researching Ground Combat 2. In contrast to Space Marines, these are better on the defense (C6) than on the attack (D4). Don't miss the fact that Heavy Infantry have a defense of 2 and that both Space Marines and Heavy Infantry take 2 hits before they are destroyed.

Grav Armor - You need to research Ground Combat 3 to build these. In addition to being the best unit in the game, they also improve the units they fight with. For every Grav Armor unit that you have in the battle more than your opponent, one non-Grav Armor unit has both its attack and defense strength increased by one. Having a nice mix of units will give you the best bang for the buck.

2. We wanted it as simple as possible. We knew it would add rules overhead, but we didn't want to add anything that wasn't really necessary. We addressed that problem by making the system for ground combat to be very similar to the system for space combat. You have an attack, defense, and a number of hits you can take. Each unit has a firing class and fires in order, etc.

3. We wanted Ground Combat itself to be a decision and to involve a lot of decisions. I'll talk about that in the next Preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
Awesome...is Chrono280 busy on the Bridge and therefore cannot post? Report immediately to the Bridge Sir, we have incoming Aliens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrono was one of the playtesters - really he was more than a playtester - and was highly involved in the design. He posted for me when I was unavailable.

Of course, he is still welcome to post now - additional insight on any of these previews is always welcome - but I was especially thankful for him filling in during my absence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.