United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in trying out a living card game, but I don't know which to try. I'm starting to get into the cthulhu mythos, but I also love the grand adventures of Lord of the Rings. Any recommendations from players of either or, preferably, both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all the LCGs (except for netrunner which sold out at Gen Con before I could nab it!!!) and I would have to say that Call of Cthulhu would be a good one to start off with, especially if you are into the theme. I personally love lord of the rings as a single player option but generally don't pick it if someone else wants to play a card game. You may want to look into netrunner and hold off a few more weeks and pick it up. It is considered to be one of the best collectible format card games to be created (by Garfield of Magic fame no less).

I think the real answer is what will hit the table? I have all these games and the only one I could really find opponents to play is the warhammer invasion game as there is a local meet up for this one. I don't think it is the funnest necessarily but I know I have opponents when I need them. So maybe ask people in your game group what they might be willing to get into with you and if everyone declines you can always go lord of the rings and play solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group is only just now building. I play solo occasionally, mostly with my wife, and have recently expanded playing with another couple, one of whom is willing to dive head first into even the heaviest of games (our first games were War of the Ring and Through the Ages).

The Call of Cthulhu isn't playable solo, right? And I don't know anything about Netrunner just yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
And I don't know anything about Netrunner just yet...

Old CCG that was very highly regarded but short lived. Game play has a runner trying to infiltrate a mega corporation. Both decks play differently. The new LCG version also has multiple decks for added variety. It is a 2 player game only though.

If one to wants to get it, preorder through your LFGS or OLGS. I expect the main shipment of games to sell out fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:

The Call of Cthulhu isn't playable solo, right? And I don't know anything about Netrunner just yet...

Call of Cthulhu does not play solo. It is good, but not a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you classify Call of Cthulhu as a dueling game? That seems to be the impression that I'm getting, in that it's more akin to Magic the Gathering/Nightfall in that you are directly competing against another person. Or do the adventure/story aspects of it make it a dramatically different experience? I ask that because I have a very hard time getting into that style of play. It's why I'm leaning slightly more toward LotR, even if I'm slightly more interested in Cthulhu stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Would you classify Call of Cthulhu as a dueling game? That seems to be the impression that I'm getting, in that it's more akin to Magic the Gathering/Nightfall in that you are directly competing against another person. Or do the adventure/story aspects of it make it a dramatically different experience? I ask that because I have a very hard time getting into that style of play. It's why I'm leaning slightly more toward LotR, even if I'm slightly more interested in Cthulhu stuff...

I wouldn't call it dueling per se. Players battle each other to win "stories". So, you aren't attacking your opponent. Your cards are doing battle against each other to try and win story cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.