Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game twice now (one with just the basic Power Tokens & one with the Advanced Tokens) & one thing that hit me pretty much from the beginning is that the checking for majority for a tower mechanic feels broken.

Let me explain - if we are contesting one of my towers, all I need to do is to aim to control 2 corner. If I can do that, then the tower is pretty much mine, because if my opponent is able to claim the other two corners, my shield decides the tie & I get the tower.

In the two games I've played, this has ended up with players attempting to compete for a tower, but if the tower owner gets two corners, which isn't really that hard to do, then there is no point in the other player contesting the tower & they go on to look at other things. This has felt pretty anti-climactic.

So, my suggestion is fairly simple. When attemtping to resolve the majority for towers, do the following

1) Check who has the majority of the corners.
2) In case of a tie, check the total number of each player's troops that have fought for the tower, taking into consideraton the power tokens that have been played on the tiles that are involved to determine majority. It might make it easier if the control tokens are removed first.
3) In case of a tie, the owner of the tower wins it.

Please note that I haven't played with the special tiles & maybe that might address what I have attempted to fix here, but I don't think that I will get them out because the whole random selection of the tiles could ruin the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should play more than two games of only the basic game before claiming it's broken ;-)

A player that gets two corners of a tower does indeed have a big advantage, but careful hand management, choosing your battles, and careful tile placement are key to the game's strategy.
Play a bit more with our rules and you'll start to see things that are not apparent on the first play or two.

The extra tiles do add randomness, indeed. Many people want 'control' and shun randomness, but I think they are important : in a real battle, people do fumble, errors are made, chaos has its say. The added randomness makes it possible to reclaim a lost tower, or to secure an endangered one. Total control is just a fantasy, life is fun because it's not 100% predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ehanuise wrote:
A player that gets two corners of a tower does indeed have a big advantage, ...

Eric - my concern is not with just someone getting two corners of a tower, but the owner of the tower getting two corners. As soon as that happens, there really doesn't appear to be any value for the other player to continue contesting the tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, it's a matter of strategy. A player has to decide whether he'll fight the other for that tower or build something else elsewhere way before someone has 2 corners.
(and players ust be careful about L's and U's that are set up just to fit a tower inside them and gain several corners immédiately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.