Subject: Origins Auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi!
I noticed that some of you have been talking on the forums here about the auction, so Soren and I decided to start a thread that focused on the Origins Auction. We thought it would be a good way to keep in touch with your thoughts, questions and concerns, which will help us run a better auction for all of you.

Thanks!
Katie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Here is a quote from a reply I posted in a thread about Origins, regarding some recent auction history. I thought it might dispel some rumours and explain how the Origins Auction got to where it is today.

cmfountaine wrote:
Thanks for the support Randy!

It's true that a few years ago the Origins auction room was robbed overnight and we lost most of the auction's laptops, including Soren Haurberg's personal laptop. The room was locked, though one of the doors was faulty and could be forced open with some effort. We noticed this problem earlier in the day and requested additional security to make sure the auction room was secure. When we left the room that night, all the doors were locked and there was a security guy guarding the faulty door. I don't know for sure how the computers got stolen, there were a lot of unanswered questions at the time, but I assure you we did everything we could to secure the room except sleep in it ourselves. (In fact Soren literally slept in the room the rest of the weekend to make sure there were no other thefts.)

Contrary to rumour, Jon Huston (owner of Troll & Toad, and one of the two partners in The Partnership who owns livegameauctions.com) continued to run the Origins auction for a couple of years afterwards, with Soren as head auctioneer and myself as manager. He finally decided to give it up, recommending to GAMA that they talk to us about taking it over.

Now the Origins auction is an official GAMA event, with Soren and I running it for them. We've had to scale back a bit, and there have been some issues with publicity, but we are working with GAMA to continue improving things a little each year.

If anyone has anything they want to ask or let us know about the auction, we are listening!

Thanks!
Katie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Better Debit card Transactions. I waited 45 minutes for a debit card transaction, then ended up having to pay cash which means I had to run to the ATM and back again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks Chris,
That was a big problem, and I really appreciated you being so pleasant about the whole situation. We are working with GAMA on this and hope to have a better system in place for next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.