Jay Boyle
United States
Belzoni
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I want to know if anyone has the rules for the Yum Dice Game by Parker Brothers and the Yum Dice Games which is made by Wooky Games of Canada. If anyone has a copy please let me know and post them.

I noticed on the old Yum score sheet that there are spaces for high roll and low roll. Is this similar to the Chance space in Yahtzee and Yarborough in Kismet? How do the high roll and low roll spaces work? Is high roll for your best "Chance" situation and the low roll for the worst?

Can you post the original Parker Brothers and the recent Wooky Games scoresheets for Yum? If so, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam R. Wood
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I play videogames, which I think is far superior an addiction than any of those other ones.
mbmbmbmbmb
Googling "yum rules" promptly brought up both rulesets:

Parker Brothers: https://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/Yum.pdf
Wooky: http://www.gladius.ca/media/AG_Yum50-Histo-InstEN_LR.pdf

These rulesets are very different: the latter is identical to Yahtzee, just with the Yahtzee Bonus and Yahtzee As A Joker rules excised and several score values reduced; the former has no three- or four-of-a-kind categories, only the five-die Straight, and two catch-all categories with an original twist.

Those "High" and "Low" categories from the original would definitely set the game apart from most other category dice games I've seen, but there are subtleties not made clear by the rules: since "Low" is defined in terms of "High", does "High" have to be filled in first; how do they interact if one or the other is zeroed out or needs to be zeroed out? Given the Wooky rules are much more recent, I think it's safe to say the original rules have been abandoned and aren't going to get clarified.

In lieu of anything else to go on, I'd default to the rules used by the only other category dice game I know with any analogue to those categories - which curiously is a Reiner Knizia game never made in physical form: the "Carnival" game from the Nintendo DS title Brain Voyage. The "Ranked Floats" in that game are ordered vertically; each can hold any total, as long as it is larger than all totals below it and smaller than all totals above it. Selecting one for a hand whose total doesn't fit those criteria causes the float's score box to be crossed off; it counts zero points, but not AS a zero, or as a total at all for the purposes of the rules in the previous sentence (it's as if that float didn't even exist). So here's my suggestion:

1) Either "Low" or "High" can be filled in first. "Low" must be either zero or at least 21; "High" must be either zero or at least 22.

2) If just one of those is filled in, and it's not with a zero, it (potentially) further restricts the other category: a non-zero score can only be entered into the other if the "Low" amount is then strictly less than the "High" amount. A zero score can still be entered regardless; zeroing out "High" will not invalidate any points already entered into "Low".

3) If just one of those is filled in, but it's with a zero, the other category is unaffected; it has the same minimum value it had before (and no maximum beyond the 30 the dice themselves can offer). This means there's no reason whatsoever to zero out "Low" before "High".

4) If 30 is put into "Low" when "High" is still empty, well, then, that player is just stupid and deserves the zero they're forced to put down there XD

That's what I'd do; your mileage may vary. Some may think it more apropos for "High" to have to be filled in first. One way that could work really well is to say the first number to go in either must go into "High" if it's non-zero or "Low" if it is zero, which would also resolve all the issues (it's like how the Yahtzee categories are handled in Power Yahtzee, actually)... but good luck selling that rule to someone that rolled a total of 21 and has nothing else to do with it. - ZM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.