Walter Gagajewski
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 11 year wanted to play so I figured we would play coop so I could show him the rules. We picked three characters: Thomas the Courier, Captain Hawkes, and Isabella von Took and decided to play against the villain I just printed the Shadow Witch.

The short version is that this game was channeling Arkham Horror because we were done in 6 turns. It was amazing fun in a disastrous way.

Turn 1:
The heroes head out to collect clues to weaken the Witch.

The Witch Strikes
All is well until...my son rolls a 2 on the Advanced Coop Chart and we are going to a Showdown on the first turn. We pick the Forbidden Island Lair card that does not allow us to escape. The card is moot however since the Witch is throwing 11 dice worth evil spells at us. Needless to say, we are all knocked out and we all go back to Town. Technically, the game should be over now, but I figure the worst is over so we ignore that rule.

Mystery Card: Choices to Be Made: Since everyone is knocked out and no one has allies, Sophie dies. The Shadow Track moves to 18.

Turn 2:
Heroes: Do nothing but stand up in the mystery phase.

Witch Strikes Again
Advanced Coop Mystery Phase Roll: Murder...Murder! - Shadow Track to 17
Triggers Witches The Guilty Shall Pay....Magistrate Kopf dies. Shadow Track to 15
- Kopf's death puts a Spectre in play so now we are drawing 2 Mystery Cards

Mystery Cards:
1. It Strikes Again -- Lady Hanbrook meets her end. Shadow Track to 13
2. Deadly Encounter -- Captain Hawkes is back on the ground after getting KO'ed again

Turn 3
Heroes are stunned and try to regroup. Thomas ends up getting Delani at the Manor to join him. Captain waits to recover and Isabella moves to get some investigation.

Witch

Advanced Coop Chart -- Unnatural storm....yea,we're still alive!
Mystery Cards:
1. Late Night Encounter ends up killing three allies from the item decks
2. Murder! Shadow Track to 12...The Guilty Shall Pay is triggered...Dr Manning goes to his doom...Shadow Track to 10

Turn 4:

Heroes heading to Echo Lake since that where all the investigation is.
Thomas moves to Monastery...Fights the Host and is Possessed. Go figure.
The others dodge trees and Spectres on their way to Echo Lake

Witch
Advanced Coop Chart: Surge of Evil drops in some Tress
Mystery:
1. Ancient Evil...great the Witch's forces grow
2. Veil of Darkness...not a good sign given the way things are going

Turn 5
Heroes: Capt Hawkes gets an event card, Isabella rolls a 1 and gets a +2 combat card and moves into the Manor to fight the Trees. She uses the card but the Trees laugh and knock her out. Shadow Track to 8.

Witch:

Possessed Thomas moves and is forced to fight a specter. He takes one damage but wins!!!

Advanced Coop Chart...get ready for it...Murder..Triggers The Guilty Will Pay but no one dies this time...Shadow Track to 7.

Mystery Cards:
1. Murder! (You have got to be kidding). Triggers The Guilty Shall Pay and Reverend Harding dies. Shadow Track to 4.
2. Deadly Encounter: Capt Hawkes is knocked out. Shadow Track to 2.

Turn 6 - We are put out of our misery.
The Witches familiar scratches Thomas on the way by and he is down to 1 wound.
The Advanced Coop Chart roll of Cursed Village combined with The Brought This Evil card sends Thomas to his death. Shadow Track to 0.

Game over man!

I love it when a game can just crush you every now and then. It makes the wins that much sweeter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I love the theme and story of the shadow witch, but I've never played against her because I find her rules rather fiddly and slightly at odds with the way the game generally plays.

As for the turn one inescapable showdown, the exact same thing happened to me and my girlfriend. The banshee lured us to our doom and destroyed us both. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent game summary! It has me iching to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.