Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone going to Pax Prime? My wife, game designer Angela Hickman Newnham, is going to be demoing her upcoming cooperative storytelling adventure game Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game there. I highly recommend checking it out. The art is absolutely stunning and the gameplay is elegant. We'll be there with our publisher, Game Salute. Here's a piece of the art (from one of the hero boards):

Look for us there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this going to be at a specific Game Salute booth, or somewhere in the Tabletop rooms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question... I'm not sure how Game Salute have set this up. Asking there at their main booth will definitely get you the info, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, we just added some componet art, and an explanation of how some of the mechanics work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Story Realms forums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escapade Crew
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
HikariStarshine wrote:
Is this going to be at a specific Game Salute booth, or somewhere in the Tabletop rooms?

I will be getting our schedule soon and will be able to answer this accurately, I'll post as soon as I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier García
Spain
flag msg tools
I am very interested in this game, and eager to know more about the mechanics on Story Realms. Where can I find this information?
Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escapade Crew
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
We will be posting the full rules here as soon as they are ready (they are in the final stages of layout and editing). There is currently a lot of information about the game on the Escapade Games website, and we will be posting design diaries here on BGG throughout the next week. Additionally, I am happy to answer any specific questions in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm inpatient and want the game now, I'm curtailing my enthusiasm by asking if you could briefly talk about how a game turn is setup.

I know...I know...the rules will be up soon. I'm just very excited about this one. Can you tell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escapade Crew
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
I'd be happy to tell you more about the game, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking! Do you want to know the general flow of a game round, what players can do on their turn, what a storyteller's turn consists of, or all of the above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing too much about the game per se, I would say all of the above. Players game turn and Storytellers game turn as well. Sorry to have been vague. I just wanted to get a summary of what choices players and (storytellers) had within a game turn/round. I don't have anything more to reference because we know very little about the game, that might have been why I was a bit vague. Sorry about that.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escapade Crew
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Ok sure! I just have a tenancy to over-answer questions, so I thought I'd get some clarification before I dive in.

There are three different types of scenes in Story Realms, an information scene, a story challenge, and an action challenge. I'm going to describe the turn structure for an action challenge because it is where the turn-by-turn play happens and has the most structure to it.

Turn Structure for an Action Challenge

On a player's turn the player can do any or all of the following:
Move to someplace close, Take an action, Activate a Power

Move: Movement is pretty freeform, there's no grid or specific number of feet a player can move, they can just move to somewhere that’s several steps or a few seconds of running away.

Activate a Power: A player can activate a power and this does not take up their action for the turn, however they can't activate the same power twice in a turn. Some powers require spending a Boost to activate.

Take an action: An action usually involves making a skill roll or using an artifact. The skills for Story Realms are Move, Might, Magic, Think, Talk, and Explore. The player describes what they want to do and the Storyteller will tell them which skill to roll. If a player wants to get an item from their adventuring kit or make a Grab roll to search out something from their pockets, they can use the item that same turn as part of a skill roll.

After all the players take their turns describing their actions and making any rolls, the Storyteller checks the die rolls and weaves together a narrative that explains how each players actions contribute to the scene and what the results are and move the relevant trackers. Then the Storyteller takes a turn.

On the Storyteller's turn, the Storyteller follows a simple procedure

Apply Status effects: If any negative status conditions are in place on the enemies, the Storyteller resolves those effects (example: if the enemy is on fire from the Burn status, the player who applied the Burn rolls for damage and the Storyteller lowers the Threat accordingly)

Increase Threat: The Storyteller will raise the Threat as shown in the Enemy Grid (usually up 1 space per player)

Check the Threat Level and describe Enemy/Challenge Action: The Storyteller checks the current Threat level; Overwhelm, High, Mid, or Low and describes the action for that level

Allow for player reactions: Some players may have artifacts or powers that have a Reaction ability. A player may only use 1 reaction during this step

Apply results: The Storyteller reads the effects of the action, assigns damage or ongoing effects, and moves any trackers as described in the Enemy Grid.

During an Action Challenge, play alternates between the players and the storyteller until the scene is resolved and the players either win or lose the challenge (but either way the story moves on!)

I hope that gives you an idea about the basics of a turn... it's a little difficult to explain without all the context, but I think that's a decent overview. I'm happy to answer any follow up questions or discuss other elements of the game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for answering my question(s)! Understood it is a little tough answering that without context as you stated, but did a fine job. Defintely looking forward to the Kickstarter.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to ad that the "goblin" in the front of the hero-board is the (up to this point) only reason I need to pre-order/kickstarter this game!

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.