Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So could someone explain this concept to me. What is it? How does it work?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with this: Math Trades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Big picture? Basically everyone participating puts up any games they want to trade. Once the list is finalized, everyone goes through the list of games available and makes a want list of games, which indicates which games they've offered they'd be willing to trade for games someone else has offered. This step is made much easier with the Online Want List Generator (OLWLG).

Then, the whole shebang is run through TradeMaximizer, which tries many many many combinations of trades, trying to find a solution that generates the most trades. Then it spits out a result list, and you end up with several very large trade loops. User A sends a game to User B, who sends one to User C, etc. etc. until user Z sends a game to user A.

This thread about math trades will tell you lots: /wiki/page/Math_Trades&redirectedfrom=math_trade#

And this one about the OLWLG: /wiki/page/OLWLG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine 100 geeks standing in a circle, each holding a game.

Then imagine everyone passes his game to the person on his left.

Then imagine everyone is getting exactly what they wanted, because a computer did the math to figure out who should stand next to whom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most concise explanation of math trading I have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
But then a dinosaur eats one of the geeks and another falls down a trapdoor. And some of the games contain hand grenades. And then a fire breaks out and there are no exits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except it's usually several smaller circles. And a bunch of geeks standing off to the side watching because nobody's in their circle but them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get an answer for this question on another thread so I thought I would ask here. Maybe I'll be luckier.

Suppose I have 10 games I am willing to trade. Their values range from $10 to $100. Their condition are from good to shrink wrapped. I look at the want list and find 5 games I like, with values ranging from $10 to $140.

When the trade is over, I end up getting 3 games I want and need to ship 3 games. So far so good.

However, is it possible that the 3 games I ship are my most valuable games ($100+ apiece) while the 3 games I receive are all worth under $50? If so, what is the best way to manage this?

Also, is it possible I could end up with the $140 game, the most expensive game in my want list even though not of my own games are as valuable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
I didn't get an answer for this question on another thread so I thought I would ask here. Maybe I'll be luckier.

Suppose I have 10 games I am willing to trade. Their values range from $10 to $100. Their condition are from good to shrink wrapped. I look at the want list and find 5 games I like, with values ranging from $10 to $140.

When the trade is over, I end up getting 3 games I want and need to ship 3 games. So far so good.

However, is it possible that the 3 games I ship are my most valuable games ($100+ apiece) while the 3 games I receive are all worth under $50? If so, what is the best way to manage this?

Also, is it possible I could end up with the $140 game, the most expensive game in my want list even though not of my own games are as valuable?

that is not possible because you specify which games in your collection you'd be willing to trade in return for other games... for instance, let's say you had "favorite game ever A" and you noticed that somebody had "favorite game ever B" available for trade in the math trade. You could literally set it up so that the only way you would part with "favorite game ever A" was if you would end up with "favorite game ever B".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I understand you correctly, it's not a grab bag situation.

For each owned game I submit, I need to scan the want list of a particular math trade and pick a game that is close enough in value so that computer finds an acceptable swap. Right?

To start the process with a single game, do I first go to OLWLG and find a suitable math trade group? And if so, what's the second step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:

For each owned game I submit, I need to scan the want list of a particular math trade and pick a game that is close enough in value so that computer finds an acceptable swap. Right?

To start the process with a single game, do I first go to OLWLG and find a suitable math trade group? And if so, what's the second step?

Basically, there's a huge grid of checkboxes... you check every box where you're willing to trade your game (in say Column A) for another game you've added (in say Row D). If you don't check the box, that trade will cannot possibly occur.

Each and every trade is a one-to-one trade. You trade Game 1 for Game 2... you're just trading with two different people.

Here are some videos:

Math Trade Video Tutorials

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:

Value is not as simple as this suggests, however. Whilst we can judge 'approximate' values by looking at prices on eBay or in the geek market, the bottom line is that values are personal. You may value game A much more than game B. Fred may value game B much more than game A. If that is the case, then Fred and you are quite likely to end up trading A for B. If both of you assign the same values (say you both think that A is worth more than B), then you will probably not end up trading, because Fred may not be willing to trade his A for your B.

I say this with only half a maths trade behind me (just waiting for the results to appear). As it happens, there were no games available that I was willing to trade my 'most expensive' game for. So I know that one will not be traded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.