Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Game rules and files are available at the game page at the Papercut Games website.

The files are also available from the files section here at BGG.

edit / addition (2015)
Some of the comments (including my replies) in this thread are outdated due to a rules correction with regards to berries in the 2015 edition of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
I have found an error in the rules. The rules say that Flying Seeds can skip areas and Berries may spawn anywhere. On the board it is written other way around.

I like the idea of the game. I haven't tried it yet. Though, I have some suggestions:
- less decorating leaves on the board, especially in the adaptation part. It makes the writing hard to read.
- The adaptations summary on the three players cards would be nice. Something like that below the small adaptation scheme: T parasitism A against 2

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for spotting the error in the rules. I corrected it and uploaded a new version.

I'll think about your other suggestions. The player action cards need to be small, but there can of course be additional space with no in-game purpose that is just used for some kind of rules summary. Probably that is a good idea indeed.

In my experience, the leaf decoration is less distracting when printed than on-screen, by the way. For some reason, green always seems more saturated on-screen than printed.

edit / addition (2015)
With regards to berries and rules: it was the board that was wrong, not the rulebook. This has been corrected in the 2015 edition of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
The actions cards are made small enough to keep the chosen actions hidden behind a players hand. Well, wouldn't be good to have screens for all players to hide once choice behind? This would allow to make these cards a bit bigger with the short reference, and a little less fiddly in result. Just an idea.
Maybe someone will read this while printing your game will make also three players screens.

What was your inspiration for the game? Are you professionally working on plants ecology?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
What was your inspiration for the game? Are you professionally working on plants ecology?

No, nothing like that. I just like evolution as a theme because of the intricate interactions between environmental factors and adaptations. American Megafauna simulates that incredibly well, but because of that is simulation more than game (and the players almost watch evolution happen, rather than play the game). Species is - to some extent - an attempt to prioritize game above simulation, without compromising too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslav Popov
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
This is amazing game. Excellent quality.

I have several questions about the rules:

- Spreading of berries: How does field skip work? Can a berry be placed on a skipped tile after or we have to chose either to place on an adjacent tile or to jump over to the adjacent one and to place on the other? Do we skip tiles only on straight line? How many berries can place?

- Spreading of flying seeds: How many seeds we can place? One on all suitable tiles?

Can you give examples using the following grid?

- Spreading Pioneers: We spawn pioneers plants on the second phase. Are there spread normally on the 4th phase also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for your compliment. And thanks for your questions.

If a species with the berries adaptation is in cell 11, it can move into any cell that is adjacent to a cell that is adjacent to 11. Hence, it can move into any cell adjacent to 5,9, 15, 17, 14, 8. Hence, it can spread into 5,9, 15, 17, 14, 8, 2, (the cell north of 5), 3, 6, 12, 18, 21, 23, 20, 16, 10, 4. It can spread into as much of those as there are cubes available, but note that "the area spread into must be inhabitable to the invading species, and it must win the competition with already present species".

A species with the flying seed spreads normally, but can additionally spread into one eligible cell anywhere on the board. The only limit is (again) that "the area spread into must be inhabitable to the invading species, and it must win the competition with already present species".

Species with the pioneer adaptation spread normally in phase 4.

edit / addition (2015)
Note that the previous edition had berries and flying seeds mixed up and that the above comments about "berries" are really about "flying seeds" and the other way around (at least in the 2015 edition rules). See also this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslav Popov
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
Well, wouldn't be good to have screens for all players to hide once choice behind?

I finally had time to design these. I'll upload them soon, after checking them once more.

edit
They're available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.