Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam» Forums » General

Subject: US air support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about buying FH: 2nd Edition.

Looked through video reviews, many forum threads, but can't seem to find any CAS rules. In Vietnam, our guys had acess to jet based CAS within 5 minutes, usually in the form of the F-100 or the F-4.

Is this depicted in FH: 2nd?

thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Lots of Huey support. There are CAS rules for other modules. Note that other more seasoned players and designers can comment, LNL Forgotten Heroes was the first modules so it might be that jets did not initially feature in the design?
I have most of the newer modules, jets and all sorts of bad assery are present, in devastating ways!

Might be a cool counter add on for the Line of Fire Magazine !!!

LOL SJ trumped me!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - some scenarios have special rules that represent air strikes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Lots of Huey support. There are CAS rules for other modules. Note that other more seasoned players and designers can comment, LNL Forgotten Heroes was the first modules so it might be that jets did not initially feature in the design?
I have most of the newer modules, jets and all sorts of bad assery are present, in devastating ways!

Might be a cool counter add on for the Line of Fire Magazine !!!

LOL SJ trumped me!!


wow. I thought that LoL was just WWII except for FH and HoG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
SJBenoist wrote:


Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap hypothetical WWIII - winner of 2011 i.e. this yrs Charles Roberts award for best wargame or similar.

LNL Lock 'n Load: Honneur et Patrie WWIII French Forces battle for the Motherland.

Day of Heroes Somalia (Rangers, and other stone cold killers) vs Somali mobs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
doah..soz.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys!

OK. Got it narrowed down to FH:2nd, DoH, or HotG.

Which one to start???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
for "even" sides HotG is cool.
For situational experiences the other two are very good.
I personally prefer HotG, for weapon types, aircraft, storyline tense battles. Plus if you REALLY like it you can then expand straight into HeP for cheap.

I have not played DoH but aside a few tweaks for mobs and bosses it 'feels' similar to FHII. Although you are out numbered by a gazzillion to one every time which is fun and you have Rangers and Delta Force.

Where as FHII is 12 scenarios (mostly balanced) some with limited replay value. It is however one of the prettiest modules asides Ring of hills.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kev. Replay value is important....so maybe FHII is out.

Probably HotG then.

Would love to see a 2002+ module with Special Forces, Apache Ds and Royal Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
mike_espo wrote:
Thanks Kev. Replay value is important....so maybe FHII is out.

Probably HotG then.

Would love to see a 2002+ module with Special Forces, Apache Ds and Royal Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.cool


Michael, if you want modern or modernish then this is the one man.
There is rumor and scuttle but that one day Fallujah etc has to be done...
How freaking cool would that be?!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks guys for all the support and answers.

BTW, Michael, Heroes of the Gap was also a Charles S. Roberts award winner this year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:


Would love to see a 2002+ module with Special Forces, Apache Ds and Royal Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.cool


Mr. Walker: Hint Hint.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
Thanks Guys!

OK. Got it narrowed down to FH:2nd, DoH, or HotG.

Which one to start???


All have excellent components.

FH:2 has geomorphic jungle maps and five different "factions (US Army, Marines, ARVN, NVA, VC), and an expansion coming out, Anzac Attack 2. LOT'S of replay value.

DoH is a nice, neat package. A single map of the Bakarra area in Mogadishu where the fighting occurred, and it has squares instead of hexes! The US forces have elite troops, hyper-elite troops, helicopters, and UNARMORED vehicles. Exactly what you need to take on a whole city of hostiles, except for NO heavy armor. The Somali's are very different from every other army in the series, and practically play themselves (although I like playing them, they are a challenge). Excellent solitaire game.

HotG is the most well rounded game of the three. One large board. You get enough US and Soviet stuff to play a variety of situations, and the sides are evenly matched, but play differently. All the bells and whistles of modern combat. The year of the conflict is 1985, when the Soviets had the most stuff, and before the US's electronics revolution obsoleted most Soviet equipment.

mike_espo wrote:
Thanks Kev. Replay value is important....so maybe FHII is out.

Probably HotG then.



"Replay" mentioned previously refers to some scenarios have "Read No Further" paragraphs that are trigger by surprise events. The scenarios still have replay value, and other scenarios in other games in the series have similar surprises. Bottom line is choose the period that interests you. Each of the games is good to go, IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
ZombieMark wrote:
mike_espo wrote:
Thanks Guys!

OK. Got it narrowed down to FH:2nd, DoH, or HotG.

Which one to start???


All have excellent components.

FH:2 has geomorphic jungle maps and five different "factions (US Army, Marines, ARVN, NVA, VC), and an expansion coming out, Anzac Attack 2. LOT'S of replay value.

DoH is a nice, neat package. A single map of the Bakarra area in Mogadishu where the fighting occurred, and it has squares instead of hexes! The US forces have elite troops, hyper-elite troops, helicopters, and UNARMORED vehicles. Exactly what you need to take on a whole city of hostiles, except for NO heavy armor. The Somali's are very different from every other army in the series, and practically play themselves (although I like playing them, they are a challenge). Excellent solitaire game.

HotG is the most well rounded game of the three. One large board. You get enough US and Soviet stuff to play a variety of situations, and the sides are evenly matched, but play differently. All the bells and whistles of modern combat. The year of the conflict is 1985, when the Soviets had the most stuff, and before the US's electronics revolution obsoleted most Soviet equipment.

mike_espo wrote:
Thanks Kev. Replay value is important....so maybe FHII is out.

Probably HotG then.



"Replay" mentioned previously refers to some scenarios have "Read No Further" paragraphs that are trigger by surprise events. The scenarios still have replay value, and other scenarios in other games in the series have similar surprises. Bottom line is choose the period that interests you. Each of the games is good to go, IMHO.

Yes I would add that the replay value is in the " how the hell do I win here ? Several of the FHII I have played 6- 7 times.

So thanks for catching that mark.
FHII is a favorite, but HotG is cool for the theme and the expansions out and coming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would love to see a 2002+ module with Special Forces, Apache Ds and Royal Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.


It could happen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Quote:
Would love to see a 2002+ module with Special Forces, Apache Ds and Royal Marines fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.


It could happen.

Pardon me while grab towel, to dry my pants......we could use rm from RoH.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pardon me while grab towel, to dry my pants......we could use rm from RoH.....


Ha, the problem, as always, is the margin. I can pay a couple of artists semi-big bucks for cover and counter art in order to entice sales, pay for banners all over the Internet, plead with friends and fans to video a test session, and put constant updates on Facebook. If I do all that I *might* just get enough orders to cover the print run cost. On the other hand, I can design the ATZ sequel, slap it on a page, and haul in 600 preorders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Quote:
Pardon me while grab towel, to dry my pants......we could use rm from RoH.....


Ha, the problem, as always, is the margin. I can pay a couple of artists semi-big bucks for cover and counter art in order to entice sales, pay for banners all over the Internet, plead with friends and fans to video a test session, and put constant updates on Facebook. If I do all that I *might* just get enough orders to cover the print run cost. On the other hand, I can design the ATZ sequel, slap it on a page, and haul in 600 preorders.


So the LNL fan base is not big enough.
We need to fix that.
But at the same time is not HotG, RoH OOP? Great news if that is case sales up are but no stock!

Is there an opportunity to combine an expansion for the above with a HotG reprint or a RoH reprint? Some sort of bundle or set of bundles?





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything could happen, Kev.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Anything could happen, Kev.

I LOVE THAT ANSWER..'cause you make things happen!
Stay on it man. You have a great little company and an avid fan base.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You have a great little company and an avid fan base.


Thanks, Kevin. One day I hope you can say "You have a big company, and a huge fan base, but you still take care of everyone of us."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Quote:
You have a great little company and an avid fan base.


Thanks, Kevin. One day I hope you can say "You have a big company, and a huge fan base, but you still take care of everyone of us."

That will come and you better!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.