Hide
9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Gencon Icebreaker Report, second place rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Morton
msg tools
Apologies to my opponents, but I’m fairly bad with names and I wasn’t expecting to do well enough to warrant a tournament report so I didn't take any notes. I remember some key plays and roughly what the corp/runner mix was, but I’m having trouble placing which round it was that things occurred.

The decks:

Haas-Bioroid
3x Accelerated Beta Test
3x Priority Requisition
3x Private Security Force
3x Precognition
3x Hedge Fund
2x Archived Memories
3x Adonis Campaign
2x Pad Campaign
2x Corporate Troubleshooter
2x Ice Wall
3x Enigma
3x Wall of Static
3x Viktor 1.0
3x Rototurret
3x Ichi 1.0
2x Heimdall 1.0
2x Wall of Thorns

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey
2x Crypsis
2x Gordian Blade
2x Ninja
2x Battering Ram
2x Magnum Opus
3x Sacrificial Construct
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Cyberfeeder
3x Akamatsu Mem Chil
2x The Toolbox
3x ScoreSure Gamble
3x Diesel
3x Infiltration
3x The Maker’s Eye
3x Modded
3x Tinkering
3x Special Order

I should have run a third Archived Memories, but I put 2x into the first deck I tried building (NBN + Scorched Earth) and didn’t pull them out before leaving the hotel.

I have no idea why I was running 3x Sacrificial Construct. I guess I was really scared of program trashing? Or maybe I just didn’t look at that pile while I was trimming....

I don’t think I played Tinkering all tournament....just didn’t run into a situation where it would save me money. I think I might have had one situation where I could use it to hit a fort I didn’t have a breaker for, but I think I drew the needed breaker before I used the Tinkering.

At least one of my runner games, Crypsis acts as my primary breaker for a chunk of the game.

Corporate Troubleshooter does his job and wins me a Corp game at some point, letting me pump an ice just above the runner’s ability to break the fort.

I check with the FFG staff before the tournament to make sure my use of click-tracker tokens doesn’t fall afoul of some anti-notetaking rule. In playtesting over the weekend, I’ve been putting 3x or 4x click tokens on the click tracker card, because then “spend a click” actually means paying a click token off the tracker. I was confused why each box only came with two click-tracking tokens until I started seeing people move a single click tracker down the card. I was having trouble remembering to record my clicks at all, though, which caused confusion and made the tracker worse than useless whenever my mental count of actions (the only way I ever tracked actions during original Netrunner) didn’t match the tracker (did I screw up my mental count, or did I forget to move a token?) To help with this, I started trying to put the click tracker tokens somewhere near the action I took (next to the installed card, next to the run data fort, next to the card whose ability I used, etc...) and then collect them back at the end of the turn. It doesn’t help me remember to use the tokens, but it makes it easier to reconcile things when I do get confused. The staff says this is fine.

The acrylic click tracker tokens for the tournament participation also work for this, but end up a little silly because the factions are swapped (four blue corp tokens for runner actions and three red runner tokens for corp actions). The extra tokens come in handy later when I start tracking my opponent's actions as well.

First Round
1-1 loss, won corp (vs Criminals?), but as Runner I ran into a Junebug before I could steal anything so I lost the match (had two counters at the start of the run, but Matrix Analyzer put it to three). The guy even asked if I was sure I didn’t want to jack out, and I was thinking it could be an ambush, but I was thinking Ghost Branch for some reason and wasn’t too worried about tags. In retrospect, the fact that he DID advance it with the Matrix Analyzer when I was about to steal it should have been a tipoff... I try to take this lesson, and I don’t think I got flatlined for the rest of the tournament, although it might have made me run a little too conservatively a couple of times.

Second Round
2-0 win
Sneak an Accelerated Beta Test through unprotected by pretending it's another Pad/Adonis Campaign after I see he didn't run on my first unprotected Pad Campaign. I think this was another Criminals?

Don’t remember much about my game as the runner.

Third Round
2-0 win
I can’t remember much about this one.

Second or third round as corp, I think it's over when I score my third agenda, show my hand, and then realize I had six points, not seven. Whoops. It didn’t really hurt me because my forts were pretty beefy and I score the last agenda out of my hand without problems.

Fourth Round
1-1 win

Round 3 or 4, my opponent is tired, I start using the extra click counters to keep track of my opponent's actions. This works well. He screws up the math on bits required to break the visible ice and can't get through a couple of times. I think this was fourth round, and I think he won as runner anyway (but I won the match).

Feel good about being 3-1 with two game losses (but I thought the cut was to top eight). Still pleasantly surprised when I make top eight and win a play mat. Thought they were reading the top eight starting from the top, so when they said the cut was to top four and my name had been read sixth, I assume I'm out and start packing up. Fortunately, I stop to check the rankings on my way out and find out I'm actually third (one point higher strength of schedule than all the other 18-prestige people).

Top Four
1-1 win
Lose as Corp vs Anarchs. He trashes one unprotected Adonis Campaign after I rez it, so I Archived Memories to get it back and then try to sneak to sneak Accelerated Beta Test unprotected again, hoping he'll assume it's the Adonis, but he runs to trash it immediately this time (doh!) He runs into a Rototurret on R&D and I get to trash my only program of the day. The Accelerated Beta Test I do get off mills an agenda (didn’t have a chance to precog it). Datasucker (with Grimoire) lets Parasite blow up my Wall of Thorns a turn earlier than I was counting on. I lose when Parasite trashes the one Rototurret on my hand and my hand was 3x Priority Requisition, 1x Private Security Force (but he only needed three points).

I figure I'm going to lose the match since I only got two points first game, but I get ridiculously lucky. Next game (NBN) he only draws one ICE and it's a Data Raven. He puts it on R&D and I leave R&D alone for a while, but I get two agendas from his unprotected hand and win when I acccept the Data Raven tag/token and find an agenda on top. He only scored one Breaking News beforehand, so I win the match.

Top Two
1-x
The link to the video of this match is in one of the other threads, but I’ll leave what I wrote up from memory before the video, although it’s probably inaccurate.

Lose to Jinteki after a long game. I'm worried about ambushes and hit one Snare, but manage to avoid any others, I think. I see Wall of Thorns from his hand and/or deck half a dozen times. I can't manage the bits to get through his big data fort fast enough.

Second game as corp, I feel good about my ICE, but Maker's Eye eats my lunch. Aesop’s Pawnshop works well for him, as do the Rabbit Holes (both of which I cut from my Shaper deck). The Bank Job / leave one bit / sell to Aesop’s trick is one to remember.

I'm pretty sure I faced two Weylands, two NBNs, one Jinteki, and I can't remember if the last was another Weyland or a Haas-Bioroid. I'm pretty sure I faced 2x of each runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the first finals game had a pretty interesting finish. He's got an agenda (or does he?) advanced twice in his heavily protected server, and you haven't got the bits to break through, so you run on HQ and R&D instead, hoping to get lucky. No dice. Come the corps turn, he just plays an operation to gain some bits, and doesn't advance. Maybe it was a trap? Now you still haven't got the bits to run on the server, beacuse you spent last turn running. Next turn the corp advances three times and scores the agenda for the win - he didn't have the bits to do so last turn.
If you had gained bits instead of running hail-marys, you might've been able to break through and snag it, but how could you have known!
Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
I’ve been putting 3x or 4x click tokens on the click tracker card, because then “spend a click” actually means paying a click token off the tracker.

I think this is a great idea. It made the movie much more watchable, and I think it makes tracking clicks easier- especially putting the tokens next to the action taken. Personally, I plan to adopt this (though I'll only have one core set, meaning I'll need to improvise the actual click tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Chrondeath wrote:
I’ve been putting 3x or 4x click tokens on the click tracker card, because then “spend a click” actually means paying a click token off the tracker.

I think this is a great idea. It made the movie much more watchable, and I think it makes tracking clicks easier- especially putting the tokens next to the action taken. Personally, I plan to adopt this (though I'll only have one core set, meaning I'll need to improvise the actual click tokens).

Something similar is used in the 2-player game Jambo. As you spend your actions, you give the tokens to the other player. If only Runner and Corp's actions were equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess the corp could give the runner one for drawing as well. It's a good idea, I'm constantly forgetting how many actions I've used in a turn when playing innovation, and you only get two per turn! Granted, you can pull off some pretty complicated and lengthy actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
Well, I guess the corp could give the runner one for drawing as well. It's a good idea, I'm constantly forgetting how many actions I've used in a turn when playing innovation, and you only get two per turn! Granted, you can pull off some pretty complicated and lengthy actions.

Hehe, likewise. We use puppies.

(We have two tiny puppy dolls, one for each action, when you use an action you give a puppy to the next player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I was your second round opponent.

I was playing Anarchs as the runner and sped to 6 points quickly. I didn't run on your Pad Campaigns because I don't as a rule run on external servers with that deck... I just ramp up mediums and dig as deep as I can into R&D. I didn't get there this time though sadly after seeing several cards.

I really should have run into more of your ice and forced you to spend more. I was just worried about HB Ice that I hadn't really run into that much yet.

I was Weyland and you played really well that game. I couldn't really connect like I needed to (to stick a tag) and didn't have any bluff cards in the deck. I was kind of hoping other people would put the fear of Project Junebug out there for me

They were great games but I still feel I should have gotten there as the runner. I saw a TON of cards in the midgame and never got that last point.

Good tourney report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
wedgeex wrote:
I was kind of hoping other people would put the fear of Project Junebug out there for me

Well, I definitely had a fear of Junebugs after my first round; I was trying to avoid them for the rest of the tournament, but I don't recall in that game whether I hit anything that would have killed me had it been a Junebug.

Quote:
They were great games but I still feel I should have gotten there as the runner. I saw a TON of cards in the midgame and never got that last point.

Yeah, one of the somewhat negative aspects of Netrunner that I was reminded of over the weekend is how random it can be, particularly in relation to running R&D. I know I got unreasonably lucky during some rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy NA

South Dakota
msg tools
Yo Phil. I was your 4th Round Opponent. I appreciate your patience during that last round.

Thanks for sharing your deck lists. I was impressed with your HB setup and look forward to trying your list. HB has a lot more going for it that I originally thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.