Subject: Scaleable self contained combative card game please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks. I'm looking for a combative card game (see title) that has a small foot print, 30-45 mins in length and preferably as little tokens and counters as possible.

Ive played and am aware of,

Got lcg
Warhammer lcg
Lotr lcg (coop)
Magic the gathering
Yomi

And am looking for something else. Preferably something self contained.

Got lcg was close but I find the game is a little too one sided at times and don't like it in the multiplayer when it just seems to boil down to attack the one with the least defense or is Unopposed.

Balance is important, as is variety but hopefully not too much power creep in anything expandable (can it be maintained??)

Help me BGG you're my only hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until I saw the as few tokens as possible part, I thought of BattleCON. You only use a few tokens in each match, but various characters have tokens. With 18 characters, that works out to a decent number of tokens included in the game. It is somewhat akin to Yomi, but with more characters, no randomness, a spatial element, and greater differences between characters. I much prefer trying to outguess my opponent in BattleCON than in Yomi.

Another option is one of the games offered by Small Box Games: Omen: A Reign of War, Hemloch, or Tooth and Nail: Factions. So far my favorite is Omen, but I need to play the others more to get a better sense of them.

Puzzle Strike fits the combative part, but might take up more table space than you're looking for. It technically uses chips, but you could make a print and play copy with cards.

Summoner Wars is good, but the boards are fairly large, so it will have a pretty large footprint.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: Reign of War (2 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOSU 2: Tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan klimus
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many people likes Game of Thrones LCG

It does fell like magic to me, its LCG ( thats plus in my opinion )
Its Game of Thrones ( so if you are fan of Fire and Ice.... )
Great Artwork
In your face style

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boze wrote:
Hey folks. I'm looking for a combative card game (see title) that has a small foot print, 30-45 mins in length and preferably as little tokens and counters as possible.

Help me BGG you're my only hope.

I don't know what you mean by scaleable so I can only suggest that Spearpoint 1943 might be suitable in that it fulfils your other requirements.

Damage recording is handled by the edge of damage cards poking out from under the damaged unit so there are no tokens or counters, there are 2d10 for To Hit rolls, footprint is only a few cards wide, a couple of cards deep. As the name suggest it has a WWII theme.

Edit: Summoner Wars has a small footprint? When did that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon and its expansions sound like they would fit your criteria well, if you can find copies (they're currently out of production).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't scaleable meaning more than just 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progress! thanks for the help guys!

No dice on summoner wars, as far as I am concerned it's far to large of a footprint and frankly i am not interested in any spatial kind of game.

I'll check Omen, but only 2 players? Hmmm i hear there are tokens in that game too, i can handle minimal stuff (Essentially lets say anything that fits in a deck box or those new FFG card boxes)

Gosu 2, will take a look, i didn't in particular enjoy gosu 1.

Also will take a look at frontline!

More suggestions please!

Oh as for the LCG route, honestly i can look into call of cthulu but again it's only 2 players right? Also I am looking for something a little more self contained, not sure if i have it in me to build like 5 balanced decks in a game i know next to nothing about. Also i got a hunch call of cthulu don't play all that fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation deserves a look. No counters, very confrontational, but different than the games mentioned so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:

NOT a small footprint. But a very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tooth & Nail: Factions

Rules for 2-4 players, NO tokens or other markers - just a deck for each player, and one single slightly larger card as your 'faction command card' displaying your two faction abilities.

There are 6 factions which can be played individually or combined (groups of 2) for a longer game. Additionally a 'Dogs of War' mini-faction that gets added into your deck, and finally some drafting rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall might be a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Tooth & Nail: Factions

Rules for 2-4 players, NO tokens or other markers - just a deck for each player, and one single slightly larger card as your 'faction command card' displaying your two faction abilities.

There are 6 factions which can be played individually or combined (groups of 2) for a longer game. Additionally a 'Dogs of War' mini-faction that gets added into your deck, and finally some drafting rules.

Any idea where I can purchase tooth and nail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: Reign of War & Tooth and Nail can only be bought directly with the developer at www.smallboxgames.com

Their releases (runs) are very small (but good) visit their site for more info.

ps. I just got "Raiding Parties" in... a pirate game. (cards)... has been fun so far. Nothing deep though, but fun and gorgeous art. Affordable too.

Omen: Reign of War (cards+tokens) fit in the box... VHS tape box size.

Oh... what about Rivals for Catan?

It uses square cards with gorgeous art, comes in a small box and has a few tokens only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled the trigger on tooth and nail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Via the publisher's site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
Via the publisher's site?

Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Smash Up is worth a look. I bought it at my LGS on sale for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised as to what I found inside.

It's a very light game all told but this isn't to say that it doesn't offer some really interesting synergies, board state analysis and meaningful decision making. It's very interactive and oozes flavor from start to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, not sure if it is off kickstarter yet or not but Battle For Souls looks really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.