Subject: Which way to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bove

New York
msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys,
I just got Descent and am really excited to play it with my gaming group in a few days (we've never played it or its predecessor). However, one guy who is coming will not be attending future meetups. Is a campaign the best approach here (is that even possible), or is Epic play with some random quests also good? Basic seems too basic... thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long a gaming session do you have planned?

If you have a few hours, I would recommend getting a few maps done with the basic characters and letting them get a taste of advancing their characters - First Blood followed by a two-part quest of their choosing.
Maybe they will be inspired to return to play more, same with that guy who might not be attending future meetups.

As for him if he doesn't return, you could always note how much exp he earned and let another player take over his character, and re-spend exp to make the character suit them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own personal experience is that the heroes started with First Blood, loved it, and decided to continue a campaign right then and there. When a fourth hero player joined us next session, I gave them some extra gold and a free shopping step to gear up the new player, and we continued.

And, I'll repeat what I said earlier in similar threads: The easiest way to have a rotating group of hero players is to keep the same hero characters, only change who's playing. The next easiest solution is to let the players each pick their own hero and change which heroes are used each session, keeping them all at the same amount of XP, but always have the same "pool" of items; at the end of each session, all heroes unequip all their items, and the next session, heroes grab what they want from the pooled equipment. I would highly recommend against changing the number of heroes or letting them change which equipment is available each session; in that sort of case, it would be best to just have multiple campaigns running at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.